The Student Room Group

1 year gcse

Does it matter how many subjects you take for 1 year GCSE as there isn't a wide variety of subjects, don't university entry look for GCSEs as well?
If you’re looking to apply for medicine, vet, dentistry, IGCSE will be extremely challenging for you as a international student as lots of university are looking for certain amount of GCSE grade and it will minimise the option of course when you apply to uni. In the meantime, as a person who have gone through IGCSE last year as an international student, I can definitely tell you that IGCSE is not a good option. The problem is not just number of grade but also length of course. The course itself is extremely rush as you only got 1 year and there is no promise that those subject are what you good at. At the end of the day, you may either be the best person in the class or mess up the whole exam. That’s exactly what happened to my IGCSE class last year, only 28% of people in my class get a very good grade at the end of the year. Others are getting 1-4’s without mention the grade you get may not valid for university application. For example, lots of uni don’t accept edexcel IGCSE English as first language as your GCSE grade. Awful Lots of us end up with taking extra IELTS course to fulfill their English proficiency requirement. If you wish to apply to med, vet or dentistry, you WILL STRUGGLE. Not just because the intensity of the course itself but you will need to get work experience in order to successfully apply to those course. Lots of people start their extracurricular since y10. By the time you finish your IGCSE course, you only got 1 year to go through all the extracurricular as you have to hand in your UCAS application by the start of Y13. I will say unless you have no other choice’s, otherwise don’t do IGCSE. It will unnecessarily overwhelmed most people without giving actual outcome.

Quick Reply

Latest