The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anyone else? Or shall I add the poll? (Would like to get this sorted ASAP if people are in favor)
Reply 21
Vote away!
Reply 22
I like the idea and support it :smile:
Reply 23
Nightowl

To TAIB - Standing independently I think would be the way to go, simply because some of the most controversial countries are done by some of our best representatives. About every resolution being passed, depends on the quality of the resolution, and whether it is needed or not

Not anymore they're not :wink:

:biggrin:
Reply 24
Are we voting on our country's point of view or as ourselves?
Reply 25
Please vote based on your personal preference :smile:
Reply 26
I'm going to abstain. I'm all for a new council, but not too sure of a human rights council. A vote on which council to establish would be more ideal to me.
Reply 27
Hmm I'm not sure how many other councils would really be do-able... half considered discussing setting up an ICJ but I'm not sure how much activity there would be. Did you have anything in mind?
Who's to say that country representatives in the HR Council won't act in the interests of their country?
Reply 29
Apollo
Hmm I'm not sure how many other councils would really be do-able... half considered discussing setting up an ICJ but I'm not sure how much activity there would be. Did you have anything in mind?

o0o I like the idea of an ICJ.
With this TBH, I'm not too sure, which is why I've refrained from posting. I think I'll abstain. :smile:
Reply 30
The resolution has passed. Due to this affecting how the MUN works it will not be passed onto the SC. I will be getting in touch with Pig/PQ and will keep you updated.
Reply 31
Pig has very kindly set this up for us! :smile:
Reply 32
I really don't see why we should siphon off discussion on human rights issues into a private sub-forum when it can be discussed perfectly fine on the main MUN board by everyone. We don't have very many MUN reps to begin with, and fracturing our discussions is just going to make more people lose interest.
Reply 33
We're not really siphoning off any discussion, that forum is just going to be for voting on the human rights resolutions (just like the SC but with a different scope, name and hopefully several different nations)
Reply 34
With all due respect, why is the current setup inadequate to serve that very purpose?
In real life how does the Council work? Do they have power over the SC?? I mean, if they suddenly decided to pass a resolution on China, would that mean the other four in the SC for instance would be obliged to abide by the resolution?
Nightowl
To TAIB - Standing independently I think would be the way to go, simply because some of the most controversial countries are done by some of our best representatives. About every resolution being passed, depends on the quality of the resolution, and whether it is needed or not

What I'm saying is if people stand independently then there is no incentive to reject any resolution which promotes human rights, because they (theoretically) have no country's interests in mind. The big problem though is that individuals might well vote in their own country's interests - who's to say they won't?

So the alternative is to stand as your country's representative. But if you do so, then it would be absurd for a country like North Korea, say, to join up. I don't like this idea at all.
http://www.ohchr.org/english/bodies/hrcouncil/docs/A.RES.60.251_En.pdf

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh. It doesn't have power over the SC - please ignore previous comments.
Reply 38
Australia wonders how she has missed out on voting in this resolution when we do actually somewhat recall placing our vote, but would like to inform the UNGA that she is firmly in support of this resolution and the formation of a HRC in the MUN, for the betterment of the human race and promotion of its rights.
Reply 39
Before I begin let me just say I''ll have my internet back up and fully running within the week. :smile:

Has the forum been made deliberately invisible? if so, it needs to be changed, I specifically made Clause 3:

3Calls for This forum to be visible to the Model UN members only

It was made to be a "look but don't touch" forum, much like the SC Voting subforum.

Latest

Trending

Trending