The Student Room Group

Pregnant on the pill?

Just wanted to know, if i messed up in taking my pill, like it wasnt working because of antibiotics and i had unprotected sex, would i still get a period when i finished the pack if i was pregnant? Or does my period mean I don't need to worry? Sorry but I am just paranoid - i left it a week after finishing the antibiotics before having sex, and as i say i had a period after finishing that pack, but now i feel really fat and tired and slightly sick, and i just want to know if it is possible.
Reply 1
I think that in theory, if you were pregnant then you wouldn't have a period. However, the best way to make sure is to just take a pregnancy test.
I would do what loopymeg suggests, take a test at least it will put your mind at rest.
Reply 3
Ok i will take a test, but does anyone know if it is possible that i could have had the period but still be pregnant? Am finding info i read confusing, some places it says on the pill u always get a period, because it is like a fake period, not a real one, but i have also read that if you are pregnant u dont so i am confused.
It's rare but it has been known
Reply 5
When your on the pill you have a withdrawal bleed. It is possible to have a period when your pregnant.
Reply 6
really?! thats really worrying
Very occasionally, someone can still get periods when they are pregnant. However, this is very rare. In almost all cases, if you are pregnant you won't get periods, even if you are on the pill. When you're on the pill you get your period during the week where you don't take pills. This is because the way the pill works is to give you the hormones your body produces naturally during pregnancy. This fools your body into thinking you are already pregnant and not releasing any more eggs to be fertilised. When you have your week off, you get bleeding because the pregnancy hormones have been temporarily withdrawn. If you were actually pregnant then the hormones would be there naturally, and so you wouldn't bleed even on your week off.
Reply 8
you're pretty smart, the science of it comforts me, all that gcse progesterone is coming back to me!
Reply 9
you're pretty smart, the science of it comforts me, all that gcse progesterone is coming back to me!
loopymeg
I think that in theory, if you were pregnant then you wouldn't have a period. However, the best way to make sure is to just take a pregnancy test.

agree thats the best way to know for sure. :smile:
philippa03

Thanks!

I may not have got the science exactly right, but I do remember asking my doctor this question when I first went on the pill.
Anonymous
i feel really fat and tired and slightly sick, and i just want to know if it is possible.

Ive had exactly this, and i was sick and then had unprotected sex so had the same worry (i believe it can mean that the pill wasn't absored properly) but I believe the symptoms are just side effects from taking the pill...either that or they are all in your mind! Im sure I bring things on myself sometimes just from being paranoid. X

Latest

Trending

Trending