The Student Room Group

Compelling reasons student finance

Hi, I want to submit an application for compelling reasons and wanted to know the likeliness of whether or not my case would get accepted

I got pregnant during my year of studying and it was completely unexpected, I had been on the pill for many years. I had no support from my child’s father or family, who told me to abort and although I did try, I couldn’t go through with it in the end so decided to continue my pregnancy.
I failed my exams which were 2 months after finding out I was pregnant and therefore didn’t pass that year. I guess my main reasons were because I was anxious about my housing situation with having no support. At the time I was renting a room in a house with other students so knew this couldn’t continue once I had my baby. I did in fact end up homeless with my newborn once we were evicted so I guess my fears did come true.

On that basis, would my case be considered likely or unlikely to be accepted? I didn’t give my birth to my son in that academic year so I’m not sure his birth certificate would be evidence. The only evidence I can provide is my contract for the hostel we stayed at, but again, that isn’t evidence from my academic year it’s more supporting the fact that my worries etc when I found out I was pregnant became true.
Hope this all makes sense and thank you for reading.
Original post by Stufent222
Hi, I want to submit an application for compelling reasons and wanted to know the likeliness of whether or not my case would get accepted

I got pregnant during my year of studying and it was completely unexpected, I had been on the pill for many years. I had no support from my child’s father or family, who told me to abort and although I did try, I couldn’t go through with it in the end so decided to continue my pregnancy.
I failed my exams which were 2 months after finding out I was pregnant and therefore didn’t pass that year. I guess my main reasons were because I was anxious about my housing situation with having no support. At the time I was renting a room in a house with other students so knew this couldn’t continue once I had my baby. I did in fact end up homeless with my newborn once we were evicted so I guess my fears did come true.

On that basis, would my case be considered likely or unlikely to be accepted? I didn’t give my birth to my son in that academic year so I’m not sure his birth certificate would be evidence. The only evidence I can provide is my contract for the hostel we stayed at, but again, that isn’t evidence from my academic year it’s more supporting the fact that my worries etc when I found out I was pregnant became true.
Hope this all makes sense and thank you for reading.

Hi Stufent222,

You can provide the birth certificate with a cover letter explaining your circumstances. As Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) evidence is reviewed on a case by case basis, it isn't guaranteed until the assessors review the evidence. I will advise that if you provide a letter from a 3rd party professional such as a GP and/or university, this would be accepted as long as it confirms what happened, when this happened and how this directly impacted your studies.

https://logon.slc.co.uk/cas/login

Student Finance England
PO Box 210
Darlington
DL1 9HJ

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending