The Student Room Group

Had unprotected sex for a year and haven't got pregnant, is something wrong?

Been having unprotected sex for a year since I lost my virginity and I've not been pregnant, have I got something wrong with me?
Reply 1
so do you want to get pregnant? if not, it may just be luck
Original post by Anonymous
Been having unprotected sex for a year since I lost my virginity and I've not been pregnant, have I got something wrong with me?

There's a difference between trying for a baby for a year and not getting pregnant, and having unprotected sex for a year and not getting pregnant.
Reply 3
I know a few people for whom "for a year" means "once".
Are you taking the contraceptive pill? As if you are, that would likely be the reason.

Are you having sex with the opposite sex? If you're having sex with someone who was assigned the same sex as you at birth then they won't have the "plumbing" to get you pregnant (irrespective of their current gender identity, which may of course be different from the sex they were assigned at birth).

Are you having kinds of sex where you can get pregnant? If you're exclusively doing manual/oral/anal sex then you won't get pregnant for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Are you trying to get pregnant and planning when you have sex according to your cycle? If so you may want to speak with your GP regarding fertility. If not though then you might just not be having sex around the time you are ovulating completely circumstantially.
Reply 5
Original post by artful_lounger
Are you taking the contraceptive pill? As if you are, that would likely be the reason.

Are you having sex with the opposite sex? If you're having sex with someone who was assigned the same sex as you at birth then they won't have the "plumbing" to get you pregnant (irrespective of their current gender identity, which may of course be different from the sex they were assigned at birth).

Are you having kinds of sex where you can get pregnant? If you're exclusively doing manual/oral/anal sex then you won't get pregnant for what I hope are obvious reasons.

Are you trying to get pregnant and planning when you have sex according to your cycle? If so you may want to speak with your GP regarding fertility. If not though then you might just not be having sex around the time you are ovulating completely circumstantially.

No I'm not on contraception and I've had a lot of sex this past year
Reply 6
If it's with the same guy, might be his sperm or lack of.
Reply 7

I'd suggest both you and your partner go to the GP to find out if either of you have fertility issues.
You mean the covid vaccine?

The user you are asking has been banned after making offensive, racist posts. Draw your own conclusions.
Reply 9
Original post by ageshallnot
The user you are asking has been banned after making offensive, racist posts. Draw your own conclusions.

Well he's a bit of a **** then
Well he's a bit of a **** then

Indeed he is!

As to your issue, are you trying to get pregnant?
Reply 11
Original post by ageshallnot
Indeed he is!

As to your issue, are you trying to get pregnant?

Yeah me and my boyfriend feel ready for it
Yeah me and my boyfriend feel ready for it

If you've been trying for a year, especially if you've been focusing on the fertile part of your cycle, then it would be a good idea to see a doctor. And don't think about either of you having anything "wrong". Making a baby isn't just a matter of 2+2=4!
Reply 13

How frequently? Assume your partner is completing the act inside and then stopping?

Are your periods regular? You both in general good health, weight, lifestyle? On any medications?

It's actually harder than you think to get pregnant - once the ball is on the other foot and you move from doing all you can not to get pregnant and start trying, you realise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending