Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Huh? :s-smilie:

You screenshotted your P60.
Original post by keromedic
Uh, I imagine I'd survive.

Really? What Drs do you know? :lolwut:

Brave girl!

There are some terrible ones in my surgery. One's that you can see have no passion for helping people and look like they were pressured into the degree by parents. They mess up prescriptions, are rude and generally look depressed.
Reply 42
You screenshotted your P60.

There's nothing identifiable :smile:
Original post by SandmanMMA
There are some terrible ones in my surgery. One's that you can see have no passion for helping people and look like they were pressured into the degree by parents. They mess up prescriptions, are rude and generally look depressed.

I think you're overthinking. But regarding the depressed look, I think it's understandable that people lose their enthusiasm at some point after graduating.

Original post by Reue
There's nothing identifiable :smile:

True :h:.
Reply 44

Im asking this because I don't know.
Aside from the usual curriculum contained within the study of medicine, are there not safeguards or assessments of sorts where the professors or tutors can identify who would be a liability should he or she continue with the degree?
surely there must be some form of filter?
I think you're overthinking. But regarding the depressed look, I think it's understandable that people lose their enthusiasm at some point after graduating.

True :h:.

No Dr choi is genuinely the ****test Dr on the planet. He gives wrong prescriptions also and is extremely rude to his patients. That's my experience. I'm not over thinking he's just one of the worst doctors to walk the planet. Don't know what's worse him or the guy in america who would lie to you about a condition just so he sucks your money for an operation you don't need.
Original post by Maura Kat
Im asking this because I don't know.
Aside from the usual curriculum contained within the study of medicine, are there not safeguards or assessments of sorts where the professors or tutors can identify who would be a liability should he or she continue with the degree?
surely there must be some form of filter?

I don't know but I hope there is some sort of assessment put in place, and if there is they should make it harder.
Reply 47
It's not going to happen. Regardless of the economy or political forces, the NHS will remain as it is for the foreseeable future.

i get what you mean.
it is one thing to want to get the grades to be a qualified doctor.
it is another to be a good doctor.

They should have an ethics assessment of some sort, completely essay based to see those who actually care about helping and those who are in it for the pay check
Reply 49
They should have an ethics assessment of some sort, completely essay based to see those who actually care about helping and those who are in it for the pay check

Don't get me wrong. anyone can fake the written essay.
perhaps they should have some sort of observation of these medical students when they do practical work at the hospital. if any red flag comes up then these students will be quickly identified, segregated and then put through some sort of counselling sessions?
I doubt it would remain completely free at point of use in as little as 10 years from today. Probably the way it would be rolled in considering how much UK loves its OAPs is it will remain free for those above 65 indefinitely while those who are under 65 but over 30 will pay a higher discounted rate while those under 30 will pay a semi-subsidised rate.

I'm in agreement that it should switch to a highly subsidized rather than free at point of use model.
Don't get me wrong. anyone can fake the written essay.
perhaps they should have some sort of observation of these medical students when they do practical work at the hospital. if any red flag comes up then these students will be quickly identified, segregated and then put through some sort of counselling sessions?

I was thinking that too as an essay doesn't tell you how that person truly is. As I was typing my reply a practical test sort of thing came into mind. Assessing someone on their ability in the field and observing how they react to other patients etc.. would be more useful :smile:
Reply 52

first you say its not going to happen.
then you say for the foreseeable future?
Could you make up your mind :smile:

The media loves to advertise and dramatise all sorts of troubles surrounding the NHS. Of course, the NHS isn't without its flaws, but the fact of the matter is that it's not going to change any time soon, rest assured. The sheer scale of the uproar that would result from widely privatising healthcare isn't something that any government is equipped to handle, be it a labour or a conservative government! It's safe to predict that the NHS will remain in a (more or less) steady state over the course of the next decade or two, as far as the provision of service to the public is concerned. The general public are outsiders, they put too much faith and trust in the media. If you look closely at the way the NHS functions, you'll realise it serves an absolutely essential function in this society, it represents one of the greatest successes this country has ever seen, it's truly one of the main foundations of this nation (if not the single most important organisation). It's here to stay. There are no guarantees with regards to the standard of the services offered, but the media loves to blow any tiny problem out of proportion.

There will be fluctuations in the salaries of healthcare professionals. There will be variations in working hours. We may see a continued increase in waiting times. We will likely continue to see shortages of services in particular areas. But this will not lead to immediate dissolution of the NHS or the privatisation of all healthcare! Don't let the media pull the wool over your eyes. Ever since its conception, the NHS has gone through countless changes and struggles, but it still stands to this day. It will continue to adapt for as long as that remains possible.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 53
I will take your word for it that this is a genuine document.
and that this belongs to you.

is there a possibility that a person can pay taxes on one hand
but also claim multiple benefits on the other?

Did you write this post?
I would be happy to see people charged for missing appointments but not for the actual appointments themselves.

The NHS isn't actually free anyway, prescription fees and dentist fees tell us that.
If the NHS charged, when I found a lump in my neck I wouldn't have been able to afford a doctor's appointment. Let alone the cost of the chemo and all the scans and tests I had to have. Unemployed people, or people who don't earn much money, get sick too. I didn't have a job when I got diagnosed- but this doesn't mean I had no right to survive.
Reply 56
Original post by syrettd
If the NHS charged, when I found a lump in my neck I wouldn't have been able to afford a doctor's appointment. Let alone the cost of the chemo and all the scans and tests I had to have. Unemployed people, or people who don't earn much money, get sick too. I didn't have a job when I got diagnosed- but this doesn't mean I had no right to survive.

You're making a lot of assumptions about any as yet unproposed charging mechanism aren't you?
Original post by Quady
You're making a lot of assumptions about any as yet unproposed charging mechanism aren't you?

I assumed there never would be any sort of proposal for charging within the NHS. I don't think it will happen, at least not in my lifetime. So I took a few of the more common ideas- charging for doctor's appointments, charging for tests, and charging for treatment. Theoretically I would hope that there would be a system in place for people who cannot afford any of these.
Original post by syrettd
I assumed there never would be any sort of proposal for charging within the NHS. I don't think it will happen, at least not in my lifetime. So I took a few of the more common ideas- charging for doctor's appointments, charging for tests, and charging for treatment. Theoretically I would hope that there would be a system in place for people who cannot afford any of these.

So you want to go get your broken leg put in a cast and come out with a bill of 10k.....are you willing to pay that?
So you want to go get your broken leg put in a cast and come out with a bill of 10k.....are you willing to pay that?

No...did you not read what I said above about how the NHS should always be kept free? I think charging someone because they broke a leg is barbaric.

Latest