The Student Room Group

Not enough finance

I am about to start my second year of uni and I am currently studying midwifery which is a very intense course, I am working on placement 40 hours a week for free plus assignments and studying on top. I am currently receiving the minimum maintenance loan. I am so stressed about finances:frown: I just finished first year in the last week of July which is way later than everyone else, meaning I had to pay more rent, and I ended up very deep in my overdraft. My rent is more this year, I am going to receive less money and the cost of living is increasing. I would happily get a job but I am on different shifts every week including nights and weekends so it would be hard for me to commit to certain hours. 0 hour contracts are hard to come by, and I also don’t want to get burnt out as apparently the second year of midwifery is harder. I don’t get any financial support from my parents as they can’t afford to help me. Honestly don’t know what to do I’m so stressed:frown:
Original post by lauren.j0301
I am about to start my second year of uni and I am currently studying midwifery which is a very intense course, I am working on placement 40 hours a week for free plus assignments and studying on top. I am currently receiving the minimum maintenance loan. I am so stressed about finances:frown: I just finished first year in the last week of July which is way later than everyone else, meaning I had to pay more rent, and I ended up very deep in my overdraft. My rent is more this year, I am going to receive less money and the cost of living is increasing. I would happily get a job but I am on different shifts every week including nights and weekends so it would be hard for me to commit to certain hours. 0 hour contracts are hard to come by, and I also don’t want to get burnt out as apparently the second year of midwifery is harder. I don’t get any financial support from my parents as they can’t afford to help me. Honestly don’t know what to do I’m so stressed:frown:

Hey @lauren.j0301,

I'm so sorry to hear you're stressed over finances - its a really difficult time to be a student at the moment, and you're definitely not the only person feeling this way. You might already be aware of it, but are you receiving the NHS Learning Support Fund grant? If not, absolutely complete an application - its for any pre-registration NHS courses, which Midwifery is. If you're already receiving this, they do have a financial hardship grant that might be worth looking into - it doesn't mention how much that could give you online, however its worth taking a look into it if you can.

I know one of our ambassadors is a Midwifery student, and she mentioned the same issues to me around placements making it hard to hold down regular hours, but has said that doing ambassador work when she can actually works quite well due to its flexibility. Seeing if there are any ambassador roles going in your university might be something to look into - the majority of ambassador programmes are flexible in their nature, and put your studies first as we understand your degree comes first.

I hope that's helped at all - please do let me know if you have any questions, I'm more than happy to try and advise. If you'd like to chat with the ambassador I mentioned above, she is actually available on our Unibuddy platform, and I'm sure she wouldn't mind speaking with a fellow Midwifery student!

All the best,
Becky
University of Salford Rep
Original post by lauren.j0301

Hi Lauren,

Can you confirm if your under 25? Have you self supported for 3 years before the start of your course? You should be able to apply to us for Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Supplementary Grants if applicable. You can also find out if you're eligible for the NHS Learning Support Fund https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/nhs-learning-support-fund-lsf

Thanks,
Claire

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending