The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
How much do you want to bet? Don't assume I don't listen. Maybe she just worded it wrong but she definitely said 'the way it works, you won't be allowed to sit STEP I'.

Yes it makes sense, but that's not what she said.

edit: just asked my friend, he agreed with me.

Perhaps she meant that you couldn't do STEP I as part of your offer? As in, the offer will involve STEP II and III.
Original post by physicsmaths
lol what is this guy doing on a step thread. You're everywhere i go !!!!!!

posted from tsr mobile

i was just thinking the same thing!!!
Original post by EXTREMEninja
Perhaps she meant that you couldn't do STEP I as part of your offer? As in, the offer will involve STEP II and III.

She wasn't talking to me personally, just the entire maths class. So she doesn't know I'm NatSci I don't think
Original post by L'Evil Fish
She wasn't talking to me personally, just the entire maths class. So she doesn't know I'm NatSci I don't think

That might be why then. She might have assumed it was for maths.
Original post by DanTheMan358
2%. I think AEA is 5%

So getting a 3 in any STEP means ur top 2% of maths a level candidates?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kabulkid

Posted from TSR Mobile

From experience, I would be inclined to say no. I expect most A-level maths students would be able to make a bit of progress (but not far enough to get graded) and a very sizable chunk be able to scrape a 3, at least in STEP I. It's intended to be sat by those in the top 2% or so, but that's not to say only the top 2% can do it (I would say with a small amount of guidance I know people who haven't studied maths since GCSE that could at least make a start on questions)
Reply 186
Original post by Kabulkid

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is "aimed" at the top 2%. I guess this means the middle (average) scores put you in the top 2%.
How do you input tex into tsr?
Original post by DanTheMan358
How do you input tex into tsr?

Same as if you were writing in it, but with [ tex ] [ /tex ] around it, obviously without the spaces

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel
Same as if you were writing in it, but with [ tex ] [ /tex ] around it, obviously without the spaces

Posted from TSR Mobile

:0 Was trying to paste it from the application. Thank you :smile:
I know people who haven't studied maths since GCSE that could at least make a start on questions)

You know some exceptional people.
Original post by Mr M

Agreed.

There is an air of naivete in some of jammy duels posts. Also , havibg done a year of uni maths will have significantly, though inderictly, made you much better at STEP
Original post by Mr M

And I've come across very easy step questions (including a STEP III question an AS student should be able to do, and possibly some GCSE students too. Will try to find it when I get back home on Friday)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
And I've come across very easy step questions (including a STEP III question an AS student should be able to do, and possibly some GCSE students too. Will try to find it when I get back home on Friday)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think you're confusing required knowledge with difficulty. For example, I'd wager that only a relatively small amount of GCSE students could prove that the square root of 2 is irrational, despite the proof being quite simple.
Original post by ThatPerson
I think you're confusing required knowledge with difficulty. For example, I'd wager that only a relatively small amount of GCSE students could prove that the square root of 2 is irrational, despite the proof being quite simple.

The required knowledge was AS, hence why most AS students (who had done M1) should be able to do it, and a particularly competent GCSE student who had perhaps done some further reading or who applied themselves and actually thought about it I would also expect to at least be able to have a good stab at it. Either that or I have too much faith in the competenet.
Reply 195
The required knowledge was AS, hence why most AS students (who had done M1) should be able to do it, and a particularly competent GCSE student who had perhaps done some further reading or who applied themselves and actually thought about it I would also expect to at least be able to have a good stab at it. Either that or I have too much faith in the competenet.
I have to say, there have been a few questions I've seen which I could have done in year 11 (this years' I/1 for one).
Original post by Principia
I have to say, there have been a few questions I've seen which I could have done in year 11 (this years' I/1 for one).

Looking at it I reckon at least some would be able to also make enough progress on 4, 5 and maybe 9 (among others, after all, they can play around with 6) to be able to get a 3 [looking at the boundaries, I'm very sure at least some would get a 3, maybe some of the more exceptional ones a 2]. And 9 looks to be very similar to the STEP III question I was referring to, possibly slightly harder in the wording, although it was quite a while ago I did that question so I may be wrong on that last detail.

but again, maybe I have a little too much faith in the capabilities of some people.
(edited 9 years ago)
I finally got round to having a go at STEP. I'm fairly sure I've got the nuts and bolts of the questions right, but would someone mind evaluating my formatting/presentation/etc.? This is for STEP I Q2 1994.

Also, would you recommend rewriting the answer if it's messy? 1409140761457.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Finally! I've been waiting for this thread :colone:
Looking at it I reckon at least some would be able to also make enough progress on 4, 5 and maybe 9 (among others, after all, they can play around with 6) to be able to get a 3 [looking at the boundaries, I'm very sure at least some would get a 3, maybe some of the more exceptional ones a 2]. And 9 looks to be very similar to the STEP III question I was referring to, possibly slightly harder in the wording, although it was quite a while ago I did that question so I may be wrong on that last detail.

but again, maybe I have a little too much faith in the capabilities of some people.

STEP I just seems less stringent on knowledge than II and III. And of course you get the odd question in II/III which is accessible. I think that in the end, STEP is testing ability rather than knowledge, and so as long as those questions require the same level of thinking as the questions based on FP2/FP3 knowledge then they are equally difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending