The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krollo
Time to start doing STEP papers in my C1 class to troll the teacher methinks.
(It would probably backfire when it turns out I can only do two questions, but still)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im guessing you already know c1-4 to be able to attempt step. So why are you in a c1 class. Fwiw if there was a module i had already covered myself at school i just asked my teachers to let me sit at the back or go to the library and id selfteach myself another maths module or do interesting maths problems. If the teachers know youve already done c1, just ask to go work in the library.
Original post by newblood
Im guessing you already know c1-4 to be able to attempt step. So why are you in a c1 class. Fwiw if there was a module i had already covered myself at school i just asked my teachers to let me sit at the back or go to the library and id selfteach myself another maths module or do interesting maths problems. If the teachers know youve already done c1, just ask to go work in the library.

I did ask, they insist that I stay in class and any extension work should be done in my own time. So far it mainly consists of STEP and SMC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I did ask, they insist that I stay in class and any extension work should be done in my own time. So far it mainly consists of STEP and SMC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

lol your ur teachers are idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
lol your ur teachers are idiots

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know. Irritatingly I go to a grammar school, you'd think they'd be more experienced with clever guys. I might as well have stayed at my comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomStaff
Nahhhhhhh, OCR all the way! AQA isn't very common is it for maths/physics? I think you're the first person I've talked to on it.

Got no clue :s-smilie: I do AQA Chemistry as well!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I know. Irritatingly I go to a grammar school, you'd think they'd be more experienced with clever guys. I might as well have stayed at my comp.

Posted from TSR Mobile

During lessons just confuse the teacher to the point where they will simply let you study by yourself. Ask really (relatively) complicated questions within the curriculum. I.e when first learning what a derivate is, ask the teacher what the derivative of x^x and watch them squirm. Keep doing this every lesson and they will soon be begging you to leave the lesson. :mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xenorebrem
During lessons just confuse the teacher to the point where they will simply let you study by yourself. Ask really (relatively) complicated questions within the curriculum. I.e when first learning what a derivate is, ask the teacher what the derivative of x^x and watch them squirm. Keep doing this every lesson and they will soon be begging you to leave the lesson. :mwuaha:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol I might actually try that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Lol I might actually try that...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

It works. It's the same in physics. They just go, 'Dom do you want to listen or get on with your own work?'. They know if I choose the former I'll ask them some very pressing questions, the worst of all being 'why', or 'can you prove that?'
Original post by DomStaff
It works. It's the same in physics. They just go, 'Dom do you want to listen or get on with your own work?'. They know if I choose the former I'll ask them some very pressing questions, the worst of all being 'why', or 'can you prove that?'

Cool :awesome:

I'm trying to think of a Mathsy EPQ to do, but I'm struggling to think of something I can 'evaluate'. Have you got any tips for choosing one? I was wondering about doing about Leibniz v Newton or something about Maths history, does that sound any good?

Sorry for bothering you, I just noticed you got full marks on yours :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
Cool :awesome:

I'm trying to think of a Mathsy EPQ to do, but I'm struggling to think of something I can 'evaluate'. Have you got any tips for choosing one? I was wondering about doing about Leibniz v Newton or something about Maths history, does that sound any good?

Sorry for bothering you, I just noticed you got full marks on yours :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did AQA, not OCR/Edexcel by the way.

It is an investigation into a project of your choice, on ANYTHING. Now, here is how I understand it. How much you evaluate is highly dependent upon what you research and you are meant to choose something that interests you, not something which easily ticks the boxes on the mark scheme. Therefore you will only need to evaluate where it is appropriate. For me, that was just an evaluation of my sources in terms of utility, but I was the only person in the year who couldn't comment on reliability of resources as who on Earth would make a false maths/physics website?! I also evaluated my progress as I was going along in my log book and actively wrote the heading Evaluation on XX/XX/13. Just that got me 100% for the evaluation part (obviously). Plus, in your product log that you fill in you have plenty of room to evaluate in that.

I did mine on an area of maths/physics that I found interesting, without worrying about evaluating etc., the maths/physics of rollercoasters.

If you would like to do mathematical history then by all means that sounds good (I know little about it). However, if you really want to show off on your PS about how you explore difficult areas of maths in your free time, then the EPQ is a place to do it.

With hindsight, I wish I did mine on something like Group Theory.

It is all up to you, however.
Original post by Krollo
Time to start doing STEP papers in my C1 class to troll the teacher methinks.
(It would probably backfire when it turns out I can only do two questions, but still)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quoting this for response, but I have read your later replies.

I don't think hassling the teacher with questions they can't answer, as suggested, is a good idea to get your own way. I would firstly take it up with the head of department (offering to do a practise paper so they can see you know what you're doing may well be a good idea) and if this does not work the headmaster and/or local educational authorities. It is a shame that some teachers are still not prepared to allow students to work on their own and hold them back if they are demonstrably working at a considerably higher level than the class is at.
Original post by DJMayes
Quoting this for response, but I have read your later replies.

I don't think hassling the teacher with questions they can't answer, as suggested, is a good idea to get your own way. I would firstly take it up with the head of department (offering to do a practise paper so they can see you know what you're doing may well be a good idea) and if this does not work the headmaster and/or local educational authorities. It is a shame that some teachers are still not prepared to allow students to work on their own and hold them back if they are demonstrably working at a considerably higher level than the class is at.

Believe me some teachers are adamant. They will simply not let you go, as they (as strange as this sounds) take it as a personal insult that you think their lessons won't benefit you, despite the fact you have already learnt the material. I personally am baffled by such teachers as tbh I would prefer to have fewer students, I mean aren't they already stressed enough?

Its also an issue of power. External authorities simply can't overrule teachers within the classroom, well they can but they won't as that would imply the teacher in question dies not know their own students very well.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Believe me some teachers are adamant. They will simply not let you go, as they (as strange as this sounds) take it as a personal insult that you think their lessons won't benefit you, despite the fact you have already learnt the material. I personally am baffled by such teachers as tbh I would prefer to have fewer students, I mean aren't they already stressed enough?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Indeed, I'm in this situation now - I asked the head of sixth form, who said the authority lies with the head of maths, who naturally is my maths teacher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happens to me in physics. Teacher forces everyone to do basic questions, and gets offended if you tell him you know it already. Luckily my maths teacher isn't like this and allows me to do FP2 and STEP in my C3 class.

Its also an issue of power. External authorities simply can't overrule teachers within the classroom, well they can but they won't as that would imply the teacher in question dies not know their own students very well.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't for a second disbelieve it and I know how they can be; I just said it is a shame that some (certainly not all) teachers are unwilling to accommodate the people at the top.

Ultimately I have not had these misfortunes as my maths department back in sixth form were supportive of taking extension maths but I did have a 6th form head who, if nothing else, definitely would've allowed me to not go to lessons and teach myself everything whilst still being entered in exams had teachers not been supportive.
Original post by DJMayes
I didn't for a second disbelieve it and I know how they can be; I just said it is a shame that some (certainly not all) teachers are unwilling to accommodate the people at the top.

Ultimately I have not had these misfortunes as my maths department back in sixth form were supportive of taking extension maths but I did have a 6th form head who, if nothing else, definitely would've allowed me to not go to lessons and teach myself everything whilst still being entered in exams had teachers not been supportive.

Wouldn't you agree that if a teacher doesn't want to accommodate for those at the top end, the top end simply will have to make the teacher uncomfortable teaching them if they want to proceed. This certainly has worked for me. This doesn't necessarily mean ask confusing questions, it could just mean getting work down 10 times as fast everyone else. This really frustrates those teachers that are too lazy to help students that want to proceed more rapidly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My teacher is such a badman that he takes the mickey out of us if were not ahead. He tells us to finish modules ourselves and pushes us to tackle step and olympiads.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
My teacher is such a badman that he takes the mickey out of us if were not ahead. He tells us to finish modules ourselves and pushes us to tackle step and olympiads.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol you are one lucky mutha*****r . So are you the only one in your class who has got to BMO2 ? If not that classroom sounds scary. Tbh Cambridge is probably worse but still that would be extremely unusual for an A level class.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I would like to point out that I had the same teacher as Krollo for the last 5 years and he never made me pay attention in class, letting me study A level/Olympiad/STEP during his classes. :smile:
Lol you are one lucky mutha*****r . So are you the only one in your class who has got to BMO2 ? If not that classroom sounds scary. Tbh Cambridge is probably worse but still that would be extremely unusual for an A level class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol yh first one ever from my school. its just that teacher specifically. My year group is one the worst year groups my average school has had. We had 200 students in yr 12 and now in yr 13 we have 100 ish or less as most resat or dropped out and went to college. They were 9 people in further maths with 4 A's. No one in my class reached BMO. Our teacher tells us how much we have to do to stand up to private scchools because he used to work in one. All he does all lesson is moan about the ease of the syllabus and all we do is do problem solving so the lessons are pretty chilled and he got SSS in step in his day (80's) and hes got a phd in physics. Hes a geezer and a half best thing he is that hes writing my reference!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending