The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gilo98
I reckon slowly working through the older ones sounds like a plan then. Tbh, I think the priority is just trying to slowly push myself out of 'standard A Level' work, so perhaps looking at some MAT etc would be of help. Well I'm finishing Yr11, but have done A Level Maths over the last 2 years with S1 and M1 - this week I have been familiarising myself with proof by induction to ensure I have I and II content. Taking AS F and Add F maths next year.

Nonono
Take a break.goddamnit
You'll be more interested.after a break
Have fun
Have.a well deserved rest
Don't give yourself burnout
There is so so much time next year to get S's if your the type.who is capable

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gilo98
I reckon slowly working through the older ones sounds like a plan then. Tbh, I think the priority is just trying to slowly push myself out of 'standard A Level' work, so perhaps looking at some MAT etc would be of help. Well I'm finishing Yr11, but have done A Level Maths over the last 2 years with S1 and M1 - this week I have been familiarising myself with proof by induction to ensure I have I and II content. Taking AS F and Add F maths next year.

You might aswell plough on with a level content tbh and FM. So try Mechanics or Stats S2 and or M2 as its lighter then doing STEP and pretty easy. Maybe even ankther module as if you can do C3/4 in Yr11 you can cope with M2 etc in a few months. What do you like more stats or mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MathMeister
Nonono
Take a break.goddamnit
You'll be more interested.after a break
Have fun
Have.a well deserved rest
Don't give yourself burnout
There is so so much time next year to get S's if your the type.who is capable

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, I plan on having a small break :wink: Going away on familiar holiday next week for two weeks where I will legit be doing nothing but swimming and sun bathing. After that though, I want to do something. Summer is boring and maths is not :ahee:
He/she's in yr 11???
Cool

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah ok, didnt think of that. Mechanics....really didn't enjoy S1....
Original post by physicsmaths
You might aswell plough on with a level content tbh and FM. So try Mechanics or Stats S2 and or M2 as its lighter then doing STEP and pretty easy. Maybe even ankther module as if you can do C3/4 in Yr11 you can cope with M2 etc in a few months. What do you like more stats or mechanics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
He/she's in yr 11???
Cool

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, although there are much more impressive people lurking about on TSR... :wink:
Never too early. Maybe only do abit. Do the 90-2000 stuff. Then do 80s. That shud take a few months.

Posted from TSR Mobile

how does that take a few months rofl
1 paper = 5 hours ish
doing step further A and further B = 10 hours per year
doing 20 years of papers = 200 hours ish
work 6 hours a day
= a bit more than a month
Original post by Scarlet Sword
1 paper = 5 hours ish
work 6 hours a day

Yh, people don't do 6 hours of work a day in the holidays. Also when you start up everything takes very long each problem takes an hour then everything gets quicker the more you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 paper = 5 hours ish
work 6 hours a day

you're going to work 6 hours/day during the Summer?
Yh, people don't do 6 hours of work a day in the holidays. Also when you start up everything takes very long each problem takes an hour then everything gets quicker the more you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

for the older papers, some problems are REALLY trivial and you can do them in less than 10 minutes, while the harder of those problems are only roughly as tricky as the type we get today. The variation in difficulty is actually really large across the problems in the older papers
Original post by StrangeBanana

😂 blows my mind really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know... what else can I do? Play the piano lol?
I don't know... what else can I do? Play the piano lol?

Go outside?
Go outside?
and what is there to do outside? stand around and loiter? (I don't have friends)
that said.. I dont; think I will be doing STEP in the summer... I heard these years papers looked like BMO1 papers instead of normal step 1 papers so I will be doing UKMT math thingies instead
and what is there to do outside? stand around and loiter? (I don't have friends)

Get hobbies mate.
Go to clubs ( sport and/or social)
Read fiction books
Gym?
Not hard to find stuff to do
Also get friends (if your nice there's no reason ppl wouldn't like you)

Posted from TSR Mobile
that said.. I dont; think I will be doing STEP in the summer... I heard these years papers looked like BMO1 papers instead of normal step 1 papers so I will be doing UKMT math thingies instead

If you finish all of those by tomorrow then do BMO2. You can then start IMO by next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Play some games or something. Or just do nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Also get friends (if your nice there's no reason ppl wouldn't like you)

not true. people will judge me for every single thing I do. If I don't come across as perfect by their standards then they won't like me.

Play some games or something. Or just do nothing.
Posted from TSR Mobile
lol. Spent about 1000 hours last summer playing video games last summer. And add another 2000 hours during the academic year of my gcses. got crappy grades for pretty much anything that was't maths or science lol
If you finish all of those by tomorrow then do BMO2. You can then start IMO by next week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find those ukmt thingies pretty damn hard lol, i wont be getting anywhere soon with them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending