The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Omghacklol
I would really extremely appreciate it if you could scan II '96-98 Pure solutions please, thanks a bunch!

Original post by duckwit
Could I have the next page, too, please? I'm doing one question a day. Thanks!

Here are the 1996 STEP II solutions and first two pages of 1998 STEP I.
(edited 9 years ago)
Not strictly STEP related but me and my maths teacher have discussed the possibility of me sitting two extra exams this year (year 12). This would mean sitting nine maths exams + STEP I + physics AS + economics AS, ostensibly to allow me to focus on STEP. Is this utter insanity or is it worth doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1182
Can someone give a hint for second part of Q2 STEP I 2002.
I got f''(x) and if I replace x=m/(m+n) i get something really complicated and can't show much.
Original post by Krollo
Not strictly STEP related but me and my maths teacher have discussed the possibility of me sitting two extra exams this year (year 12). This would mean sitting nine maths exams + STEP I + physics AS + economics AS, ostensibly to allow me to focus on STEP. Is this utter insanity or is it worth doing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

In what way do your teachers feel that this would help you focus on STEP? and what modules?
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh learn some modules but no point sitting them. Drop a couple maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomStaff
Can anyone offer a hint for Q3 STEP II 2010, part (iii)? Done the first two parts fine but I'm terrible at these infinite summing series :frown:

What I've done so far, don't think it is much use though...:
Fn=12n1(nC1+5×nC3+25×nC5+...+5r12×nCr) F_n=\frac{1}{2^{n-1}} (^n\mathrm{C}_{1} + 5 \times ^n\mathrm{C}_{3} + 25 \times ^n\mathrm{C}_{5} + ... + 5^{\frac{r-1}{2}} \times ^n\mathrm{C}_{r}) ,where r=n r=n if n is odd and r=n1 r=n-1 if n is even...

Dividing by 2^(n+1) gives us the nth term of our infinite sequence...but I can't see how what I've done will help.

Edit: don't worry, sorted it.

You need to use the formula given at the start of the question for Fn(by this point you will have found the constants) that gives you two separate geometric series which when divided by 2^n+1 gives two separate geometric series which do converge as n goes to infinity and you add them together.
Original post by Krollo

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't be concerned about the actual number of exams themselves. Unless you are susceptible to exam pressure or anxiety it shouldn't really matter how many papers you sit, they only take 90 minutes each and if you have prepared well you shan't have to worry about cramming or forgetting anything.

The bigger issue is if you feel like you'd be able to devote enough time to each exam to be extremely confident in getting 90+ UMS. If this isn't the case then you probably should drop a couple of modules.

STEP shouldn't also be too much of a concern. Firstly STEP 1 doesn't require extensive preparation to get a 1, you seem to be quite competent so as long as you really secure your AS/A2 maths knowledge then a few past papers should suffice. Secondly I don't think you are required to declare your grade, so long as STEP doesn't detriment your AS levels you having nothing really to lose. Admittedly you don't have that much to gain either unless you gain an S, even then you would need to supplement that with strong UMS. I personally sat STEP early because I enjoyed it, rather than out of impetus to improve my applications. I wasn't even aware what it really was until I was registered.

Another point to consider is what you have to gain by sitting extra modules, how much would it lighten your work load next year? I don't believe Cambridge care if you sit anything early, it is just important you preform well.

All this is assuming you are intending to apply to Cambridge of course.
Original post by Dalek1099
You need to use the formula given at the start of the question for Fn(by this point you will have found the constants) that gives you two separate geometric series which when divided by 2^n+1 gives two separate geometric series which do converge as n goes to infinity and you add them together.

I know, I realised, which is why I put the edit in saying I had done it.
Original post by ETRC
Can someone give a hint for second part of Q2 STEP I 2002.
I got f''(x) and if I replace x=m/(m+n) i get something really complicated and can't show much.

I think you have to show 4 different examples; when n is odd and m is odd, when n is even and m is odd, when n is odd and m is even, when both n and m are even.
Say I have an equilateral triangle ABC labelled clockwise in the complex plane. Then to get c I rotate a - b anticlockwise pi/3 radians about b right? So c = (a-b)e^(i(pi)/3) + b. Why is this wrong?
Original post by jjpneed1
Say I have an equilateral triangle ABC labelled clockwise in the complex plane. Then to get c I rotate a - b anticlockwise pi/3 radians about b right? So c = (a-b)e^(i(pi)/3) + b. Why is this wrong?
I don't think it's wrong, but it may not be the right approach, because if you want to keep things symmetrical the "natural angle" to be thinking about is 2pi / 3 (a complete circle equally divided into three parts).
Reply 1191
Original post by lllllllllll
I think you have to show 4 different examples; when n is odd and m is odd, when n is even and m is odd, when n is odd and m is even, when both n and m are even.

Thanks
I was correct on two of them, I showed when n was odd and m even, and n even and m even.
Original post by lllllllllll

I've only briefly looked at the question, but do the cases n>m & n<m not matter?
Original post by DFranklin
I don't think it's wrong, but it may not be the right approach, because if you want to keep things symmetrical the "natural angle" to be thinking about is 2pi / 3 (a complete circle equally divided into three parts).

Thank you DFranklin
God I'm useless sometimes. I came so close to finishing an inequality question and then balls up in the last line by wrongly sketching a simple graph. Is there any way to avoid silly mistakes or is it simply a matter of diligently checking the working?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hyperthy
Hi there all. Thinking of sitting step (for fun haha) Just wondering if you knew any websites where I could find the m4pm5, s3-s5 content for maths because not looking forward to having to buy that many books :smile:

you already sat step last year. I dont see the point in sitting it again. Trinity arent going to let you switch to maths with physics..thats why you got summerpooled last time.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you wanted to do that you shouldve just applied for maths again.
For STEP 2010, question 12 I managed to do it another way without using the initial result, but I think there must be some fault to my logic.

Spoiler

Now I think I've made a basic error and just gotten lucky, the other method I did was to consider the sum of each turn multiplied by the probability of AA winning and AA not winning for the first case and A,BA,B losing and AA winning for the second to get two geometric series. This utilises the initial result so I assume that is the intended method.
Original post by newblood
you already sat step last year. I dont see the point in sitting it again. Trinity arent going to let you switch to maths with physics..thats why you got summerpooled last time.

Sorry to be harsh, but if you wanted to do that you shouldve just applied for maths again.

I wouldn't rely on it, but it's not unheard of - one of the people at my college got in for straight physnatsci and then switched to maths with physics.
Reply 1198
Original post by rachelc142
Yeah phys natsci. About 85ish in phys I think? I'm not bothered anyway you don't have to tell me how stupid I am :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should go to Glasgow- much better
Original post by byday
You should go to Glasgow- much better

Already rejected my Glasgow offer, which I am really gutted about but they didn't offer the complete course & french exchange I was after.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending