The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Starting to worry a bit now, doing about 2 hours a day of STEP revision and still can't get a full question done! I usually know what I'm doing but then find myself lost. :frown:.

Also, I'm cramming Further Maths in this year (AS&A2) so I've had hardly any time to get up to amazing quality on any of the further stuff! I can't seem to find FP3 revision stuff anywhere online, am I just teribble at looking? If anyone has anything good please share! :biggrin:
Original post by pryngles
Starting to worry a bit now, doing about 2 hours a day of STEP revision and still can't get a full question done! I usually know what I'm doing but then find myself lost. :frown:.

Also, I'm cramming Further Maths in this year (AS&A2) so I've had hardly any time to get up to amazing quality on any of the further stuff! I can't seem to find FP3 revision stuff anywhere online, am I just teribble at looking? If anyone has anything good please share! :biggrin:

Physics maths tutor is the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Phaycis maths tutor also has al the step poera from 87 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Phaycis maths tutor also has al the step poera from 87 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant I'll check it out, thanks! :biggrin:
Doing STEP this year. Can't wait to get started. Planning to do past papers over half term.

School has never been more inconvenient in my life, than now. We are doing S2/S3/D1/M2/FP2,FP1 for FM. Consequently I must get through FP3,M3,M4 independently by half term.:eek:

STEP questions seem okay, but I really wish someone would tell me the secret to getting really good at solving problems. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Xin Xang
Doing STEP this year. Can't wait to get started. Planning to do past papers over half term.

School has never been more inconvenient in my life, than now. We are doing S2/S3/D1/M2/FP2,FP1 for FM. Consequently I must get through FP3,M3,M4 independently by half term.:eek:

STEP questions seem okay, but I really wish someone would tell me the secret to getting really good at solving problems. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The secret is.....

Practice :smile: haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SamKeene
There was a STEP III question which was the last pure one (Q8), so meant to be the hardest.I am unaware of any "ordering of difficulty" in STEP questions, other from the fact that Q1 is supposed to be "accessible". And all accessible really means here is that it should be easy to start answering the question - I don't feel Q1s actually average significantly easier than the other questions.

(The one thing I'm aware of is that in STEP III, Q8 is disproportionately likely to involve differential equations).
Ah the cambridge peopke said they send in batches. Hopefully im part of that batch and that init. For the step school:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Might take STEP this year if i dont have to pay for it
Does anyone know any good resources for the mechanics parts of STEP such as moments of inertia and simple harmonic motion? Was planning to self teach these but can't find figure out where to start from.
Original post by Maths Magnet
Does anyone know any good resources for the mechanics parts of STEP such as moments of inertia and simple harmonic motion? Was planning to self teach these but can't find figure out where to start from.

MEI do some good stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na that kight be to learn it. Im talkig about worksheets, they are good steps to step. Much better then edexcel and crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Na that kight be to learn it. Im talkig about worksheets, they are good steps to step. Much better then edexcel and crap.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you dying behind that keyboard :confused:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Xin Xang
Are you dying behind that keyboard :confused:

Na mate i reply to threads quickly on my ma phone init. Thats y i always type stupidly. Ill turn my spell back on for everybody yh.
Posted from TSR Mobile

You done Fp3 in a week? could it be easy for me if I had solid C3,4?
how much easier than fp2 is it?
keep spellcheck off its funny n cool
Original post by MathMeister
Posted from TSR Mobile

You done Fp3 in a week? could it be easy for me if I had solid C3,4?
how much easier than fp2 is it?
keep spellcheck off its funny n cool

Some of the questions in Chapter 2 are very difficult and hard to 'see'. Ch 1,3,4 are very quick. Can do in couple of hours. Vectors and Matrices may take some time.
I learnt the content in a week, I am still doing questions to make my FP3 better and more fluent. Still got few weeks till I start STEP III papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
How does the Edexcel (FM) Syllabus compare to the CIE one?
Is it particularly unusual that my school (non-selective, state) is making me pay for STEP? I was pretty annoyed when they said they wouldn't pay for them, and because they're so expensive, I can't help feeling a bit hard done by.
Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle\int arccos(xsin(x)-cos(x)\sqrt {1-x}\sqrt {1+x}) +\dfrac{0}{x-|x|-2x}\

dx dx\\

arcosh(xcosh(x)+sinh(x)1+xx1)) +0xx2x \displaystyle\int arcosh(xcosh(x)+sinh(x)\sqrt {1+x}\sqrt {x-1})) \ +\dfrac{0}{x-|x|-2x}\ dx dx

0sin(πx22) \displaystyle\int^\infty_0 sin(\dfrac{\pi x^2}{2})\ dx dx

xdx \displaystyle\int \left \lfloor {x} \right \rfloor dx \

Answers in spoiler

Spoiler

Here is a hard maths problem that for some reason Wolfram Alpha(and pretty much every online calculator) can't do, maybe its got something to do with it not working for complex values(as the logic involved will only work for certain values which consists of the whole domain if we add an extra bit on the end(thats what that modulus function bit is there for to restrict the domain)) it will work for real ones though and give you the correct values for the definite integrals or maybe its something of a form that something just programmed to integrate doesn't have the human ability to deal with?I have listed two further problems the second one is very similar to the second and I haven't actually fully attempted it but it should be fine on the principles of the first one and is actually easier.Don't try indefinite integration on the third integral it will not work, there isn't a definite integral that you will know yet unless you have looked it up.Floor x rounds the number down floor(pi)=3 floor(-2.5)=-3

I came up with this problem from the basis of a much easier really nice STEP II question so if they are nasty they could throw this at you but probably with a few starter exercises to help you break it up.There are no techniques beyond the A Level syllabus but there are those that require a lot of understanding, Maths can often be like that though with Cambridge expecting people to solve Reduction Formulae and Differential Equations from just Maths knowledge.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending