The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newblood
Thats what I thought, but he was told this when he went to a STEP day at Fitzwilliam. It is possible the tutors there are misinformed?

Hmm, when he said college I assumed he meant college as in for A-levels.
It still seems unlikely to me, simply because the classing system has a fixed number of firsts produced, whereas in STEP, there is no such thing.
The tripos has longs and shorts which differs from STEP again, whilst I can see that in the spirit of things more credit is given to fuller solutions, and of course the marking process differs from A-levels I can't see that they use the exact same system.

Obviously I don't know for a fact that this is the case - I don't know how it's really broken down, but then very few people do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by joostan
It still seems unlikely to me, simply because the classing system has a fixed number of firsts produced, whereas in STEP, there is no such thing.
The tripos has longs and shorts which differs from STEP again, whilst I can see that in the spirit of things more credit is given to fuller solutions, and of course the marking process differs from A-levels I can't see that they use the exact same system.

Do the tripos exams use a root mean square method of marking (quadratic means)? Maybe that's what they meant, the later parts of questions have a higher allocation of marks where as it is fairly linear at A-Levels.
Do the tutors have a reason for not explaining the STEP Marking system? It's fairly obvious that the later stages of questions are worth more marks, so I don't think it would be detrimental to precisely explain it.
Original post by Gawain
Do the tripos exams use a root mean square method of marking (quadratic means)? Maybe that's what they meant, the later parts of questions have a higher allocation of marks where as it is fairly linear at A-Levels.

At least that would make the marks greater than or equal to the marks using arithmetic means!:awesome:

I'll show myself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gawain

They use piecewise linear scaling involving a merit mark, I suspect it's online if you're interested.
On STEP I 2005 Q8 (i) the question specified that y=2 when x =1. Which I interpreted as implying that y=(x+1) y = -(x+1) was not a solution, and also that the solution to the differential equation represented a straight line.

However in the official solutions they state that y=±(x+1) y = \pm (x+1) and also that the solution represents a pair of straight lines. I have two questions - 1) What is wrong with my interpretation of the question? 2) If my interpretation is correct, would I still lose marks? (and roughly how many 2-3?)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ThatPerson
On STEP I 2005 Q8 (i) the question specified that y=2 when x =1. Which I interpreted as implying that y=(x+1) y = -(x+1) was not a solution, and also that the solution to the differential equation represented a straight line.

However in the official solutions they state that y=±(x+1) y = \pm (x+1) and also that the solution represents a pair of straight lines. I have two questions - 1) What is wrong with my interpretation of the question? 2) If my interpretation is correct, would I still lose marks? (and roughly how many 2-3?)

Both lines satisfy the differential equation for all values, but you are right, only the positive one satisfies the initial conditions.

To be really safe I would note the pair of solutions to the differential equations and then say that one violates the boundary conditions.

I sincerely doubt you would lose any marks at all, the wording of the question isn't ambiguous at all. The solution should satisfy the conditions stated.
in the 'advanced problems in core mathematics' book, question 52, i don't get why there is no gravitational potential energy included in the 'show F=' part of the question. any help?
Ok so, albeit it was STEP 1, and they were all really easy questions in comparison to others, I managed to get 3 full solutions in a Step paper today! :biggrin: Great feeling
Original post by pryngles
Ok so, albeit it was STEP 1, and they were all really easy questions in comparison to others, I managed to get 3 full solutions in a Step paper today! :biggrin: Great feeling

Awesome! STEP is more about practice than anything else; keep working at it and you'll be getting an S by June!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any hints with the last part of STEP III 2004 Q4?

I got the area of AOB to be:
r02sin(α)cos(α)\frac{r_0^2}{sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)}

Then I set up the following inequality:
4r025sin(α)cos(α)<πr02(1+sin(α)2)4sin(α)\frac{4r_0^2}{5sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)}<\frac{\pi r_0^2(1+sin(\alpha)^2)}{4sin(\alpha)}

Given our range for then angle, sin and cos are always positive so we can rearrange to get:

0<5πcos(α)(2cos(α)2)160<5\pi cos(\alpha)(2-cos(\alpha)^2)-16

Since I couldn't solve that cubic and didn't want to use numerical methods I
considered the function:
f(x)=5πcos(α)(2cos(α)2)16f(x)=5\pi cos(\alpha)(2-cos(\alpha)^2)-16

We get local extrema at:
cos(α)2=0,23cos(\alpha)^2=0, \frac23

The 0 point is negative so I checked the other one to see if the function was greater than 0 at that point.

This leads to the inequality :
25π2>25×9=225>21625\pi^2>25 \times 9=225>216

I'm not sure if I've made any mistakes but there must have been a neater way of approaching this question.
What is the hardest STEP question you guys have done?
Original post by joostan

Obviously I don't know for a fact that this is the case - I don't know how it's really broken down, but then very few people do.

Well, i have actually used the cumalative percentages and no. Of people sit the paper and caluclated that about 70-80 people get an S in each paper every year and that doesn't change.
He just said the alpha beta equation which reminded of tripos scoring.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Do the tutors have a reason for not explaining the STEP Marking system? It's fairly obvious that the later stages of questions are worth more marks, so I don't think it would be detrimental to precisely explain it.

Yh they said half a question is normally 1/4the marks. 3/4 the question is bormally about half marks and a full is near marks. Obviously there are questions where the first part is the hardest part but its normally not like that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gawain

Yes, they said this aswell. Around the same amoun of people get the top grades. Bottom grades abviously fluctuate depending on how many people sat the exam.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
At least that would make the marks greater than or equal to the marks using arithmetic means!:awesome:

I'll show myself out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, made me chuckle.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gawain
Any hints with the last part of STEP III 2004 Q4?

I got the area of AOB to be:
r02sin(α)cos(α)\frac{r_0^2}{sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)}

Then I set up the following inequality:
4r025sin(α)cos(α)<πr02(1+sin(α)2)4sin(α)\frac{4r_0^2}{5sin(\alpha)cos(\alpha)}<\frac{\pi r_0^2(1+sin(\alpha)^2)}{4sin(\alpha)}

Given our range for then angle, sin and cos are always positive so we can rearrange to get:

0<5πcos(α)(2cos(α)2)160<5\pi cos(\alpha)(2-cos(\alpha)^2)-16

Since I couldn't solve that cubic and didn't want to use numerical methods I
considered the function:
f(x)=5πcos(α)(2cos(α)2)16f(x)=5\pi cos(\alpha)(2-cos(\alpha)^2)-16

We get local extrema at:
cos(α)2=0,23cos(\alpha)^2=0, \frac23

The 0 point is negative so I checked the other one to see if the function was greater than 0 at that point.

This leads to the inequality :
25π2>25×9=225>21625\pi^2>25 \times 9=225>216

I'm not sure if I've made any mistakes but there must have been a neater way of approaching this question.

I did something similar.
Reply 1797
Original post by C-king
Any time I hear I'm getting free stuff I get soo excited:biggrin:

Got mine in the post today, apparently we have to give the graphics tab back which is a shame, but if it's good I'll end up buying one (£25 on amazon) and we get to keep the headset. About to test it out.
Original post by Gawain
Both lines satisfy the differential equation for all values, but you are right, only the positive one satisfies the initial conditions.

To be really safe I would note the pair of solutions to the differential equations and then say that one violates the boundary conditions.

I sincerely doubt you would lose any marks at all, the wording of the question isn't ambiguous at all. The solution should satisfy the conditions stated.

I agree with you. But if you look here at the official solutions they haven't excluded a solution - they only used the boundary conditions to find the constant of integration.
I agree with you. But if you look here at the official solutions they haven't excluded a solution - they only used the boundary conditions to find the constant of integration.

I always saw them more as guidance for the problems rather than complete mark scheme answers.

I wouldn't take everything they write as gospel anyway. I've glanced at some of the STEP III ones and they seem to be short paragraphs giving you the gist of what you to do rather than something to mark your work by.

Original post by Karoel
What is the hardest STEP question you guys have done?

Probably STEP III 2006 Q13, although I haven't finished it completely yet. I'll get round to it when I reach the 2006 paper.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending