The Student Room Group

Access course and AS level?

Have any mature students here studied an AS Level alongside an Access course? Is this possible or is it unrealistic to be considering doing this?
I think it's doable if the subjects overlap, as quite a bit of the material for some Access subjects is similar to AS Level. I used AS and A2 textbooks quite a bit on my course. It might actually be helpful to do the two together, but it will undoubtedly increase your workload. I wouldn't recommend it if you have other commitments too.

If you decide to go ahead, make sure your Access tutors know, and if you tell them the date of the exam well in advance, they will hopefully try to avoid scheduling Access exams at the same time.
Reply 2
Original post by Schadenfreude65
I think it's doable if the subjects overlap, as quite a bit of the material for some Access subjects is similar to AS Level. I used AS and A2 textbooks quite a bit on my course. It might actually be helpful to do the two together, but it will undoubtedly increase your workload. I wouldn't recommend it if you have other commitments too.

If you decide to go ahead, make sure your Access tutors know, and if you tell them the date of the exam well in advance, they will hopefully try to avoid scheduling Access exams at the same time.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply :smile:

Basically the Access course that I applied for (and will hopefully be starting in September) was originally going to include 9 credits of physics. They have now said that unfortunately they can't offer me these credits as I am the only person (out of 300+ Access applicants this year!) who wants to do physics... These 9 credits will be transferred to extra maths, chemistry and biology credits (I'm trying to get them all transferred to maths but that's another story!)

I've asked the college if it's possible to do AS Level Physics alongside the Access course, they have to check with the A Level department to see if I would be able to do this but I just thought I'd see if anyone on here has already attempted it!
I hope it works out for you. What are you hoping to study at university?
Reply 4
I hope it works out for you. What are you hoping to study at university?

Civil and Environmental Engineering (with a foundation year) :biggrin:
Sounds good. Physics would certainly help, but it will be covered in the foundation year, so it's not necessarily a disaster if you can't arrange the AS. Ask the university's Admissions Tutor for advice, if you haven't already.
Reply 6
Sounds good. Physics would certainly help, but it will be covered in the foundation year, so it's not necessarily a disaster if you can't arrange the AS. Ask the university's Admissions Tutor for advice, if you haven't already.

I called a few universities yesterday, one won't budge on the physics credits so they're out unfortunately, but the other two will accept the Access course without physics as long as I get distinctions in all of the maths credits :smile:

I've got another four or five universities to call today so I'll see how it goes!
Good luck. You'll get there, one way or another.
Reply 8
In laments term an Access course is a fast track equivalent to 3 A-levels in 9 months. It's mostly essay based but gives the qualifications and skills needed for university. It's pointless doing an AS alongside as Access gives the skills required in a much faster way and no exams. So depending on what you want to do it's up to you.

Personally I did As and 2 months of A-Level :tongue: and personally I found access better as not only did I get he grades needed but was taught the discipline and skills needed for uni which I feel A-level lacks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending