The Student Room Group

A-level or access course?

Keeping my options open at the moment.

I’m 26 and I have alevels already that I got when I was 18 (A*,B,B). Due to poor health and family circumstances my life has been on hold, and I am now looking at higher education options.

I know due to lack of educational history and work history in the last few years I will have to redo either a-levels or do an access course.

What are the pros and cons of either?

A-Levels used to be more highly regarded ten years ago, but I know access courses and the opinion of them has changed.

Is it better to apply for uni when you have a poor history with a-levels or an access course?
Original post by c2024
Keeping my options open at the moment.

I’m 26 and I have alevels already that I got when I was 18 (A*,B,B). Due to poor health and family circumstances my life has been on hold, and I am now looking at higher education options.

I know due to lack of educational history and work history in the last few years I will have to redo either a-levels or do an access course.

What are the pros and cons of either?

A-Levels used to be more highly regarded ten years ago, but I know access courses and the opinion of them has changed.

Is it better to apply for uni when you have a poor history with a-levels or an access course?

Hey 👋

I am currently a third year mature student and was in a similar position to you before starting.

Although my journey was slightly different to yours, I did find myself in a position where my education was outdated and I’d have to decide between A-levels or an access course. In the end I went for an access course and I honestly couldn’t recommend it enough.

Access courses are normally suited to the uni course you’re aiming to apply for. So subjects will align with what you need. Not only that, I found I was so much more prepared for university having done an access course, which is partly the aim of them along with getting you the qualifications you need. They aim to give you any kind of assignment you will come across in uni, so you experience them all. They teach you how to reference and much much more!

The course is super intense I won’t lie to you about that, it’s a 2 year course cramped into 9 months but this is a massive advantage. I found in all my uni interviews, the interviewers explained that they always liked students that came from access courses because they know how intense they are. It also made the transition into my first year of uni much easier because of this.

I hope this helps! I’d definitely recommend going for you, you won’t regret it!

Good luck.

Sophie (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending