The Student Room Group

Leeds A100 Applicants 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I'm still A-level student and im going to applying for undergraduate
"Demonstration of proficiency in English is required for non-native English speakers. Qualifications in lieu of GCSE English grade B can be one of the following:
Cambridge Proficiency of English Grade B
IELTS 7.5 including 7.5 in Spoken English
TOEFL Internet-based (iBT) minimum of 25 in each component."
Source: http://medhealth.leeds.ac.uk/info/202/applying_for_the_mbchb/84/the_selection_process/2

I'm sorry but you need to either have a grade B or meet one of the other requirements if English isn't your first language. Please look at the link for yourself it saves me simply copy and pasting information which is readily available!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1462
Original post by heythere247
Hey I think when I was checking it says it has to be done before the first day of term (you have to do it every year). Have a double check through all the letters or emails you've received from the Uni for your student number, it's a 9 digit number usually starting with 200 (unless it's changed recently). If not give the university an email :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi! Thank you :smile: As soon as I sent that message I received an email a day after with all the details lol.
Original post by k1234
Hi! Thank you :smile: As soon as I sent that message I received an email a day after with all the details lol.

Enjoy first year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1464
Enjoy first year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reply 1465
Congrats all starting in September! Make the most of today, can't believe it's been 2 years since I got my results!

Posted from TSR Mobile

What sort of thing did you have in your ps?
Original post by iJAKE
What sort of thing did you have in your ps?

Just the usual really, why I wanted to study medicine, work experience, voluntary work, extracurriculars, anything else that demonstrated my commitment to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1467
Just the usual really, why I wanted to study medicine, work experience, voluntary work, extracurriculars, anything else that demonstrated my commitment to medicine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you mention in the extra-curricular stuff because I'm not sure some of mine is relevant
Original post by iJAKE
What did you mention in the extra-curricular stuff because I'm not sure some of mine is relevant

Literally any clubs I was apart of, doesn't matter if they're not related to medicine so long as you mentioned any skills you gained from the experiences which are transferable to medicine.
Reply 1469
Literally any clubs I was apart of, doesn't matter if they're not related to medicine so long as you mentioned any skills you gained from the experiences which are transferable to medicine.

oh okay:smile: thanks for the answers!
Unless things have changed, the main text for the first term of year 1 is Medical Sciences by Naish et al, that's all I used for the the first term along with lecture notes :smile: Gray's is the recommended anatomy book which will be useful, if not essential, in terms 2 and 3. Clinical sciences by Kumar and Clarke is recommended for parts of term 3 although personally I didn't use it. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Yes it definitely helped! :biggrin: good luck for your second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="Ash_xxx;59089673"]
Unless things have changed, the main text for the first term of year 1 is Medical Sciences by Naish et al, that's all I used for the the first term along with lecture notes :smile: Gray's is the recommended anatomy book which will be useful, if not essential, in terms 2 and 3. Clinical sciences by Kumar and Clarke is recommended for parts of term 3 although personally I didn't use it. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Yes it definitely helped! :biggrin: good luck for your second year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone's just corrected me that Kumar and Clarke is clinical medicine not science :tongue: and third year, I'm getting old :colondollar: but thank you, good luck you'll love freshers!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When and where do we submit our DBS forms and bring along our ID and stuff? Thanks xx I tried to get in contact with the admissions team but being sunday no one picked up. I feel silly for trying haha x
Original post by Ash_xxx
When and where do we submit our DBS forms and bring along our ID and stuff? Thanks xx I tried to get in contact with the admissions team but being sunday no one picked up. I feel silly for trying haha x

Have you checked the VLE? Think there should be a timetable for intro week.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any 2nd year Leeds medics here? I was wondering what textbooks you guys used in 1st year?
Original post by BigDaddy97
Any 2nd year Leeds medics here? I was wondering what textbooks you guys used in 1st year?

I'm a third year, the ones I mainly used were Gray's anatomy and Medical Sciences :smile: I also used Kumar and Clarke a little bit but not much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm a third year, the ones I mainly used were Gray's anatomy and Medical Sciences :smile: I also used Kumar and Clarke a little bit but not much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This may sound silly..but you guys do actually study Physiology, BioChem, Pathology, Pharmacaolgy etc right? Do you not have textbooks for those specific topics such as Harpers BioChem or Guyton and Hall Physiology??
Original post by BigDaddy97
This may sound silly..but you guys do actually study Physiology, BioChem, Pathology, Pharmacaolgy etc right? Do you not have textbooks for those specific topics such as Harpers BioChem or Guyton and Hall Physiology??

Occasionally people may like to use those kinds of books for reference. I honestly only ever used the ones I mentioned above in first year, and a biochem textbook for a tiny part of first term which was recommended by the lecturer because he was the author :tongue: In second year I used Underwoods pathology however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Occasionally people may like to use those kinds of books for reference. I honestly only ever used the ones I mentioned above in first year, and a biochem textbook for a tiny part of first term which was recommended by the lecturer because he was the author :tongue: In second year I used Underwoods pathology however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok cool. Final question lol..approx how many hours of lectures do you have a week in 1st year? Is that the main method of teaching or do you do tutorials as well?
Hard to say in terms of hours, probably around 8 if I had to guess as average? There are also lots of tutorials probably as many hours as the lectures I think? Then you also have anatomy dissection and half a day of placement each week from term 2 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending