The Student Room Group

GCSE English Lang

I was repeatedly told by my English teacher at school that it was imperative that I got a C at English Lang gcse. I achieved a c (the only c I got) at gcses in 2013. Only this year at the end of AS I have been looking at law courses at the russel group uni's with most stipulating anywhere from B to an A in the subject.
Does anybody have any advise for me and my situation?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by R.obi
I was repeatedly told by my English teacher at school that it was imperative that I got a C at English Lang gcse. I achieved a c (the only c I got) at gcses in 2013. Only this year at the end of AS I have been looking at law courses at the russel group uni's with most stipulating anywhere from B to an A.
Does anybody have any advise for me and my situation?

Try re-sitting English language?
Also, it's vital that you contact the unis you're hoping to apply to and tell them about your situation, they can give you good advise, but if they give you vague guidance, then I suggest you just re-sit it :smile:

Good luck! :smile:
Your teacher will have stressed the C grade for a totally different reason that had nothing to do with reading Law at Uni - school league tables count these grades.

Bristol doesn't stipulate a B for GCSE English, nor does Nottingham . And it isn't essential to go to 'a Russell Group Uni' - did you know that many 'leading' Unis aren't members? - its just a brand name, a marketing tag, nothing more.

Look at Law at City and Leicester - they ask for high grades, are amongst the top Unis for Law, but aren't in the Russell Group. Yet several Russell Group Unis ask for lower grades than they do. From this alone you can see how daft the RG fixation really is. It isn't some sort of gold standard or quality mark.

Once you have checked the entry requirements at a range of Unis, go to some open Days. You might be surprised at what you find.
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply, I understand that russel group universities are not the be it and end all of tertiary education, I only highlighted them because the majority of the uni's seemed to expect atleast a B in eng lang. I'm contemplating applying for Bristol but I'm not sure my AS results are good enough, do you know the AS benchmark?
[QUOTE=R.obi;49765597 I'm contemplating applying for Bristol but I'm not sure my AS results are good enough, do you know the AS benchmark?

Few Unis are interested in your AS level results - they are far more interested in your teacher's predictions for your A2 results. And they are interested in your PS and your aptitude for Law (including relevant work experience).

This is the 2014 Admissions Statement for Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/prospectus/media/undergraduate/2014/admissions-statements/law.pdf
Reply 5
Thank you so much! You have relaxed me greatly. Now I can relaxed and tackle next year with confidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending