The Student Room Group

Is English language a-level good?

For context I’m in year 11 picking a-levels soon. I’m applying to two sixth forms - one that doesn’t offer English lang and one that does. I am picking 4 a Levels and most likely dropping one. At the sixth form where they do offer it I will also pick history, psychology and rs. I enjoy English at gcse, but don’t enjoy having to read books I don’t enjoy (I love reading just not the gcse curriculum). Im currently predicted a 7 + 8 in English lit + lang. I don’t know much about lang alevel, but from what I’ve heard im interested. Would you recommend it?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by AlexNeedsSleep
For context I’m in year 11 picking a-levels soon. I’m applying to two sixth forms - one that doesn’t offer English lang and one that does. I am picking 4 a Levels and most likely dropping one. At the sixth form where they do offer it I will also pick history, psychology and rs. I enjoy English at gcse, but don’t enjoy having to read books I don’t enjoy (I love reading just not the gcse curriculum). Im currently predicted a 7 + 8 in English lit + lang. I don’t know much about lang alevel, but from what I’ve heard im interested. Would you recommend it?

i'm currently in year 13 doing english language and i would say if you like english in general go for it! it is quite a lot of work, as i do the aqa curriculum and we do 2 pieces of coursework in the two years so might be quite stressful as well as 3 other a-levels. in terms of content my college did quite a heavy focus in grammar in year 1 and it's important for the whole a-level, so if you enjoy that you will definitely enjoy the a-level, and the rest of the course content is really interesting :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest