The Student Room Group

Japanese or Korean?

Scroll to see replies

Hi Khitman!

We're a group of students representing the School of East Asian Studies in Sheffield. I'm currently a second year Japanese Studies student and if you have any questions about the syllabus or anything related to the course at all, shoot! This account is also shared with Korean Studies, Chinese Studies and East Asian Studies students so you can ask any related question and we'll try our best to address your concerns. :smile:

Hanis
Reply 61
Original post by SEASambassadors
Hi Khitman!

We're a group of students representing the School of East Asian Studies in Sheffield. I'm currently a second year Japanese Studies student and if you have any questions about the syllabus or anything related to the course at all, shoot! This account is also shared with Korean Studies, Chinese Studies and East Asian Studies students so you can ask any related question and we'll try our best to address your concerns. :smile:

Hanis

are there any options for studying in korea during the course (preferably the combined japanese+korean)? a semester or even a summer stay? T_T
Original post by khitman
are there any options for studying in korea during the course (preferably the combined japanese+korean)? a semester or even a summer stay? T_T

I'm one of the earlier mentioned Korean Studies students, and I also do Japanese.
At Sheffield Uni it's possible to study Korean with Japanese. So Korean studies will be your main focus with a year abroad in South Korea (second year), and you will have Japanese language classes on the side. Unfortunately it's not possible to do it the other way around, so if you want a year abroad in Japan you'll have to do one of the Japanese Studies courses that don't offer Korean :/

Our university website has a pretty good introduction to the course, but if you want more detailed answers feel free to ask!

~Laura
Original post by khitman
(...) whereas korean always felt like aenubeauobuea to me (...)

Never hard this word before. Seems to be a jawbreaker...

Just to speak about myself, I would learn Japanese, if I were you, just because I'm reading mangas and looking animes. I would love to watch and to read them without translations or English subtitles. :bigsmile:
Reply 64
I'm one of the earlier mentioned Korean Studies students, and I also do Japanese.
At Sheffield Uni it's possible to study Korean with Japanese. So Korean studies will be your main focus with a year abroad in South Korea (second year), and you will have Japanese language classes on the side. Unfortunately it's not possible to do it the other way around, so if you want a year abroad in Japan you'll have to do one of the Japanese Studies courses that don't offer Korean :/

Our university website has a pretty good introduction to the course, but if you want more detailed answers feel free to ask!

~Laura

the site says that if korean is combined with japanese or chinese, the year abroad will be spent there instead of korea. is it out-dated? o:
Reply 65
when you do your year abroad do you decide yourself if you wanna go or is part of the course to go?
Also when you are going to the year abroad do you go with your classmates?
Original post by khitman
the site says that if korean is combined with japanese or chinese, the year abroad will be spent there instead of korea. is it out-dated? o:

Yup! I think they used to do that before but that's no longer the case Japanese/Chinese will be your minor, and you go to Korea to focus on your major.

Hanis

Original post by mardib
when you do your year abroad do you decide yourself if you wanna go or is part of the course to go?
Also when you are going to the year abroad do you go with your classmates?

Hi mardib!

It's a compulsory part of the module and you have to do it once you become a third year (for Japanese studies). For Korean Studies and Chinese Studies, you go in your second year. I'm not sure about the latter two but for Japanese, you can indicate who you want to go with and who you don't want to go with, or even if you prefer to go alone. Of course, it doesn't mean it's set in stone but you're just voicing out your preference to the teachers who will then have the final say.

Hanis
Reply 67
Yup! I think they used to do that before but that's no longer the case Japanese/Chinese will be your minor, and you go to Korea to focus on your major.

Hanis

Hi mardib!

It's a compulsory part of the module and you have to do it once you become a third year (for Japanese studies). For Korean Studies and Chinese Studies, you go in your second year. I'm not sure about the latter two but for Japanese, you can indicate who you want to go with and who you don't want to go with, or even if you prefer to go alone. Of course, it doesn't mean it's set in stone but you're just voicing out your preference to the teachers who will then have the final say.

Hanis

Thank you for the reply I was worried that after the year abroad I would have to start the 3rd year with new people but nevermind can you give any tips about personal statements regarding japanese/chinese/korean language...if mentioned that I have attempted to learn one of the languages are there less chances for to get it??
Reply 68
Hi Khitman!

Hanis

Hi! I'm looking at studying Korean Studies at Sheffield next year but I'm a little torn between SEAS and SOAS in London. Did anyone currently in the Korean dept. apply for SOAS too? And if so, why did you pick Sheffield over it?
Also, in the course description for Korean at SEAS there isn't much detail given about modules? For instance, Year 3 says you study 'Contemporary Korean Society' but do you pick modules within this yourself? Can you take modules from other departments/courses, like Chinese language for example, or anything from Politics? How flexible is the course?
Sorry for all the questions!!
(I did far prefer the atmosphere at the Sheffield Open Day but SOAS offers more course combinations and modules so I'm really unsure...)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mardib
Thank you for the reply I was worried that after the year abroad I would have to start the 3rd year with new people but nevermind can you give any tips about personal statements regarding japanese/chinese/korean language...if mentioned that I have attempted to learn one of the languages are there less chances for to get it??

For personal statements I think the uni prefers if you indicate how passionate you are about the subject and whether you've had any experience. Of course, since you can take all three languages from scratch they don't require you to have any background knowledge, but they'd like to hear that you're ready and willing to handle the workload and responsibility that comes with learning a new language! :smile: For my personal statement (I'm doing Japanese), I mentioned that I knew hiragana and katakana already (or that you're definitely up for learning them before the course starts) and I understood the amount of hours of dedication it takes both in and out of class. It may also be useful to explain why you're interested in Japan/Korea/China so they know where your passion stems from and how much research you've done on your own. Hope this helps!

Hanis

Original post by mollyjoy
Hi! I'm looking at studying Korean Studies at Sheffield next year but I'm a little torn between SEAS and SOAS in London. Did anyone currently in the Korean dept. apply for SOAS too? And if so, why did you pick Sheffield over it?
Also, in the course description for Korean at SEAS there isn't much detail given about modules? For instance, Year 3 says you study 'Contemporary Korean Society' but do you pick modules within this yourself? Can you take modules from other departments/courses, like Chinese language for example, or anything from Politics? How flexible is the course?
Sorry for all the questions!!
(I did far prefer the atmosphere at the Sheffield Open Day but SOAS offers more course combinations and modules so I'm really unsure...)

Hi mollyjoy!

I'll leave the part about SEAS vs. SOAS to my Korean Studies friends to answer, but for modules, from what I understand, in one year, you have a fixed amount of credits for the main language (40 credits for Korean Studies), and you have to pick other modules to make up a total of 120 credits for the year. There's a requirement of 60 credits that you must take from a range of given modules within the East Asian Studies department and the rest of the 20 credits can be anything, really.

Hanis
Reply 70

Hi mollyjoy!

I'll leave the part about SEAS vs. SOAS to my Korean Studies friends to answer, but for modules, from what I understand, in one year, you have a fixed amount of credits for the main language (40 credits for Korean Studies), and you have to pick other modules to make up a total of 120 credits for the year. There's a requirement of 60 credits that you must take from a range of given modules within the East Asian Studies department and the rest of the 20 credits can be anything, really.

Hanis

Oh that's great, thanks so much :smile: That makes it a lot more clear - it sounds like the course is pretty flexible which is really good for me!
Can I ask what your favourite part of studying at Sheffield is?
Oh that's great, thanks so much :smile: That makes it a lot more clear - it sounds like the course is pretty flexible which is really good for me!
Can I ask what your favourite part of studying at Sheffield is?

Ooh, difficult question. I'm actually an international student and I love how friendly and welcoming the people of Sheffield are. I honestly didn't have a problem settling in even though it was a completely different environment, and it was even difficult feeling homesick! Since I love the city, the people, and what I'm studying, it's a real joy to go to uni and it was one of the best choices I've ever made :biggrin: The co-curricular activities are also pretty great there's lots to do and so many societies to join as well~

Hanis
Reply 72
Ooh, difficult question. I'm actually an international student and I love how friendly and welcoming the people of Sheffield are. I honestly didn't have a problem settling in even though it was a completely different environment, and it was even difficult feeling homesick! Since I love the city, the people, and what I'm studying, it's a real joy to go to uni and it was one of the best choices I've ever made :biggrin: The co-curricular activities are also pretty great there's lots to do and so many societies to join as well~

Hanis

hi hi, sorry to bother again but i come back with more questions TT
if i study japanese or japanese+korean, does the uni offer any further exchange or language programs abroad outside of the required year abroad? for example, i know newcastle offers a summer language program in seoul, plus a year abroad in japan as a part of the course. is there anything similar in sheffield?
I do Japanese A-Level! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Original post by khitman
if i study japanese or japanese+korean, does the uni offer any further exchange or language programs abroad outside of the required year abroad? for example, i know newcastle offers a summer language program in seoul, plus a year abroad in japan as a part of the course. is there anything similar in sheffield?

Hi gonna quickly jump in here because I was looking at something similar myself! Sheffield uni does offer a summer school program for people who achieved a*aa in their a-levels BUT you can't apply for this if a year abroad is a compulsory part of your degree anyway (at least I'm pretty sure!)
Original post by Edminzodo
I do Japanese A-Level! Feel free to ask me any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Japanese A level? Is that a thing? That actually sounds pretty rare :biggrin:
Original post by khitman

Hi gonna quickly jump in here because I was looking at something similar myself! Sheffield uni does offer a summer school program for people who achieved a*aa in their a-levels BUT you can't apply for this if a year abroad is a compulsory part of your degree anyway (at least I'm pretty sure!)

Yeah, as far as I know, you only get one year abroad but within that year abroad you'll definitely have time to travel on your own :smile: I don't think they offer an extra exchange/language programme. Also don't worry, ask away!

Hanis
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ConsiderScience
Japanese A level? Is that a thing? That actually sounds pretty rare :biggrin:

It is a thing! I think it only had about 300 or 400 students last year, and many were fluent!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Edminzodo
It is a thing! I think it only had about 300 or 400 students last year, and many were fluent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want in! :cool:
Yeah, as far as I know, you only get one year abroad but within that year abroad you'll definitely have time to travel on your own :smile: I don't think they offer an extra exchange/language programme. Also don't worry, ask away!

Hanis

Hi, sorry for the late reply, but as Hanis said, if you do a dual honors language program at Sheffield (eg Korean Studies with Japanese), you can unfortunately only do one year abroad program. I've just returned from my year abroad in Korea (an amazing experience) and I spent a week in Japan on my own time.

If anyone has any questions about Korean Studies with Japanese (eg pros and cons of the language, the degree, what other modules you can take) I'll be happy to answer.

Izzy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending