The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by bertstare
Says who? You? Because handguns were legal before '96 and the homicide rate was very low, far lower than it was after they were removed. I'm not sure if you can read a graph, but the argument, if anything, is starkly against you

Your argument in a nutshell: "Guns are scary and big and loud and trigger my anxiety attacks so I don't think anyone else should have them"

First first first...i didnt know 96 and 2014 is 30 years apart :rofl2:

2nd, your graph says homicide rate is on a down trend. Your argument is against you. In fact, all statistics said that crime in UK is on a down trend. and UK has the lowest gun homicide in the world.

The United Kingdom has one of the lowest rates of gun homicides in the world.[5] There were 0.04 recorded intentional homicides committed with a firearm per 100,000 inhabitants in 2010. Gun homicides accounted for 2.4% of all homicides in the year 2009.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_the_United_Kingdom
Reply 101
Says who? You? Because handguns were legal before '96 and the homicide rate was very low, far lower than it was after they were removed. I'm not sure if you can read a graph, but the figures, if anything, are starkly against you

Your argument in a nutshell: "Guns are scary and big and loud and trigger my anxiety attacks so I don't think anyone else should have them"

Also please post the source of your graphs. Would be lovely :h:
Original post by GnomeMage
First first first...i didnt know 96 and 2014 is 30 years apart :rofl2:

2nd, your graph says homicide rate is on a down trend. Your argument is against you. In fact, all statistics said that crime in UK is on a down trend. and UK has the lowest gun homicide in the world.

Where did anyone say '96 and '14 are 30 years apart? Have you not been taking your meds again?

Homicides were on a direct upward trend, and a very significant one, directly after the banning of guns. Explain that for us? Why are the only years since 1980 which saw massive spikes in murder, the ones directly and immediately after the year where handguns were banned?

The UK has a low homicide rate and always has done. Most western European nations have similar or even lower homicide rates than the UK, namely Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland, and all of them have much higher gun ownership than the UK by factors of 5, 6 and up to 8 times. Explain that one too for us?
Original post by Something2
Sigh.....It is called recreational target shooting for entertainment.

Sounds so much nicer than massacre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes...

I don't think that anyone who supports or advocates the level of free access to firearms that America offers is ever going to be swayed by any number of tragic accidents. Very sad.
Reply 105
Where did anyone say '96 and '14 are 30 years apart? Have you not been taking your meds again?

Homicides were on a direct upward trend, and a very significant one, directly after the banning of guns. Explain that for us? Why are the only years since 1980 which saw massive spikes in murder, the ones directly and immediately after the year where handguns were banned?

The UK has a low homicide rate and always has done. Most western European nations have similar or even lower homicide rates than the UK, namely Norway, Sweden, France, Germany, Spain, Austria, and Switzerland, and all of them have much higher gun ownership than the UK by factors of 5, 6 and up to 8 times. Explain that one too for us?

'so lets ignore that the years with highest murder rates of the past 30 years all occured directly after the gun ban'

'
Because handguns were legal before '96 and the homicide rate was very low, far lower than it was after they were removed. I'm not sure if you can read a graph, but the figures, if anything, are starkly against you'

:rofl2:

Someone has to get aggressive because he is losing :lol:
'so lets ignore that the years with highest murder rates of the past 30 years all occured directly after the gun ban'

'
Because handguns were legal before '96 and the homicide rate was very low, far lower than it was after they were removed. I'm not sure if you can read a graph, but the figures, if anything, are starkly against you'

:rofl2:

Someone has to get aggressive because he is losing :lol:

Of the past 30 years (the graph looks at a period of around 30 years), the years with the highest murder rates all happened directly after the gun ban.

Surely this isn't a difficult concept for you to understand? Can you not read a graph?
Reply 107

Because policies dont become effective immediately? Because there are many reasons that contribute to homicide? recession? If hand guns were not banned, that massive spike could have spiked harder.

You just said UK has low homicide rate and always has done, and then you went on and said some western nations have lower homicide rate. Because they have always had lower homicide rates?
x

Something tells me that you're American
Reply 109
Of the past 30 years (the graph looks at a period of around 30 years), the years with the highest murder rates all happened directly after the gun ban.

Surely this isn't a difficult concept for you to understand? Can you not read a graph?

And then it just goes lower and lower.
hey what do you expect from an israeli made weapon lol?
Because policies dont become effective immediately? Because there are many reasons that contribute to homicide? recession? If hand guns were not banned, that massive spike could have spiked harder.

You just said UK has low homicide rate and always has done, and then you went on and said some western nations have lower homicide rate. Because they have always had lower homicide rates?

By whose definition has the policy been "effective"? Lets summarise here, nice and simple:

They banned guns in the UK hoping less people would die. Immediately after guns were banned, hundreds and hundreds of more people died. Eventually, murder rates fell to the same level they were back when guns were legal.

I don't know the exact mark of a good policy, but by all standards, this was an utterly **** one.
Original post by thechemistress
Something tells me that you're American

Care to contribute anything of use
Reply 113
What were they expecting when they gave a 9 year old a gun? :eek:
Reply 114
By whose definition has the policy been "effective"? Lets summarise here, nice and simple:

They banned guns in the UK hoping less people would die. Immediately after guns were banned, hundreds and hundreds of more people died. Eventually, murder rates fell to the same level they were back when guns were legal.

I don't know the exact mark of a good policy, but by all standards, this was an utterly **** one.

When you see that wikipedia puts up the fact that UK has lowest gun homicide around the world.

Source of data plox. i've been asking a few post back.
When you see that wikipedia puts up the fact that UK has lowest gun homicide around the world.

Source of data plox. i've been asking a few post back.

But over the past 30 years, the average homicide rate when handguns were legal is considerably lower than the average homicide rate when handguns were banned. I ask again, how does that show the efficacy of the specific policy to ban handguns?

The source is stated on the graph if you care to look, its from the ONS.
Incredibly stupid of the instructor for putting a fully automatic Uzi in the hands of a 9 year old. He reaped the rewards of his own stupidity. A lot of adults would not be able to able to handle one either.

However, I am still an advocate for responsible, and regulated gun ownership.
Care to contribute anything of use

Ah, the infamous American rudeness :wink:

But no, not really. I just wanted to see if it was a really a British person who held such ridiculous views regarding gun laws.
However, as I have nothing left to say I shall now be on my way xD
Original post by thechemistress
Ah, the infamous American rudeness :wink:

But no, not really. I just wanted to see if it was a really a British person who held such ridiculous views regarding gun laws.
However, as I have nothing left to say I shall now be on my way xD

I am British lol.

Tell me why after Britain's gun ban, homicides skyrocketed? I thought banning guns and making everyone defenseless was supposed to save lives?
why did this make me giggle?

Latest

Trending

Trending