The Student Room Group

Why is driving instructor asking me for a picture of my provisional license?

So I'm getting a new instructor who i've never met before and they've asked for a photo of my licence through WhatsApp before the lesson and then bring it on the day. I'm not comfortable with sending it to a stranger like what are they going to do with it? Upload onto their system like I don't want my licence online. I've never been asked for this before, I usually am asked to bring it on the day which I'm ok with doing but never been told to send a photo. I've heard there's a link you can send them instead to check your driver's record, how does that work and would that show them a photo of me? I really don't feel comfortable like what are they going to do with my photo? I get they want to check it's real before giving me lessons but they can check on the lesson. I can't send them anyway as I've just renewed it and new one should be coming within 2 weeks.
Original post by Anonymusy
So I'm getting a new instructor who i've never met before and they've asked for a photo of my licence through WhatsApp before the lesson and then bring it on the day. I'm not comfortable with sending it to a stranger like what are they going to do with it? Upload onto their system like I don't want my licence online. I've never been asked for this before, I usually am asked to bring it on the day which I'm ok with doing but never been told to send a photo. I've heard there's a link you can send them instead to check your driver's record, how does that work and would that show them a photo of me? I really don't feel comfortable like what are they going to do with my photo? I get they want to check it's real before giving me lessons but they can check on the lesson. I can't send them anyway as I've just renewed it and new one should be coming within 2 weeks.

Just say all this directly to the instructor. They can't force you to send the photo.
Reply 2
Original post by toxicgamage56
Just say all this directly to the instructor. They can't force you to send the photo.

i'd do this. i've never heard of having to send it before the lesson

not wanting to send official id over whatsapp is entirely legitimate
Reply 3

I want to but I stupidly agreed when she asked me on the phone and is expecting me to send it to her the day before the lesson at the latest. I feel like the day before or in the day she's going to ask me why I've not sent it or be like I'm guessing you no longer want a lesson because you haven't sent it. I'm considering cancelling the lesson at this point but can't seem to find another instructor I've called everywhere and they all either don't cover the area I'm in, or are fully booked, one said they'd keep a note of my number and call if any instructors are available and another said call back in 3 weeks to be put on waiting list. This one is the only option right now and there's no way I'm sending her the photo.
Reply 4
Original post by HoldThisL
i'd do this. i've never heard of having to send it before the lesson

not wanting to send official id over whatsapp is entirely legitimate

Yeah I've never heard of this before either that's why I don't want to send it, it could be a scam and if I sent it she'd always have it. I stupidly agreed to send it when she asked for it on the phone but I'm not going to. At first I said I can't and she said why and I said because I renewed it and haven't got the new one yet. Then she said I should get it before the lesson and I need to send it the day before by the latest and bring it on the day. I agreed but I'm not sending it.
Yeah I've never heard of this before either that's why I don't want to send it, it could be a scam and if I sent it she'd always have it. I stupidly agreed to send it when she asked for it on the phone but I'm not going to. At first I said I can't and she said why and I said because I renewed it and haven't got the new one yet. Then she said I should get it before the lesson and I need to send it the day before by the latest and bring it on the day. I agreed but I'm not sending it.

Yeah tbh atp, just be honest and say that you don't feel comfortable sending her the photo and that you'd be more than willing to bring your license on the day. Make it clear that if not, you'd have no choice but to cancel the lesson.
Reply 6
Yeah tbh atp, just be honest and say that you don't feel comfortable sending her the photo and that you'd be more than willing to bring your license on the day. Make it clear that if not, you'd have no choice but to cancel the lesson.

Thanks, I've just texted her so I'll see what she replies which probably will be in the evening now. If she doesn't accept it then I'll cancel the lesson.
I think you're reading too much into it and working yourself up tbh.
Original post by StriderHort
I think you're reading too much into it and working yourself up tbh.

exactly, most of my instructors asked for a picture too...

what they realistically gonna do with it anyway lol
Reply 9
Update: I texted the instructor I wasn't comfortable sending the picture but was ok to bring my provisional license on the day of my first lesson. she replied that it's usually a procedure they follow but it's fine and to bring it with me on the first lesson. Phew 😅 I've been worrying about this all week! I can relax now.
Reply 10
Original post by MoDesignss
exactly, most of my instructors asked for a picture too...

what they realistically gonna do with it anyway lol

If it's a legit instructor then probably nothing to worry about but still if I sent a pic they'd always have it and that doesn't sit right with me. What if it doesn't work out? like the instructor is rubbish/unprofessional or I don't like their car etc and I decide to not to see them again and get a new one then they could do something to spite me idk. It doesn't matter now anyway I told her I wasn't comfortable with it and she said it was fine, I just need to bring it to the lesson.
If it's a legit instructor then probably nothing to worry about but still if I sent a pic they'd always have it and that doesn't sit right with me. What if it doesn't work out? like the instructor is rubbish/unprofessional or I don't like their car etc and I decide to not to see them again and get a new one then they could do something to spite me idk. It doesn't matter now anyway I told her I wasn't comfortable with it and she said it was fine, I just need to bring it to the lesson.

see, this is what we mean by saying you're overthinking and working yourself up. They are professionals, this is their job. They have many students. Trust me they dont care lol

but im happy to hear you sorted it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending