The Student Room Group

Is carrying on 4 A2 subjects better?

I was wondering whether it would be better to carry on 4 A2 levels or if I should stick with 3 A2s?
Does 4 look more impressive - will it increase my chances? (I want to study medicine - like the seemingly vast majority here it seems :rolleyes:)

I ask this as I see most people splashing 4 A2 grades - I hardly see 3! I got 4As for my AS levels but it wasn't without a lot of stress so ideally I don't want to carry the fourth one on but I feel like it would really disadvantage me when I apply...
Reply 1
Original post by Remedium
I was wondering whether it would be better to carry on 4 A2 levels or if I should stick with 3 A2s?
Does 4 look more impressive - will it increase my chances? (I want to study medicine - like the seemingly vast majority here it seems :rolleyes:)

I ask this as I see most people splashing 4 A2 grades - I hardly see 3! I got 4As for my AS levels but it wasn't without a lot of stress so ideally I don't want to carry the fourth one on but I feel like it would really disadvantage me when I apply...

I got the impression that universities only ask for three A-levels anyway. Any more are irrelevant? Four may look more impressive but I don't think they will improve your chances.
I think Oxbridge focus more on UMS score and other Russell Group unis will only take three. :smile:

Since you're such an avid medicine fan you should know that the symbol you have on your avatar is actually the caduceus, the rod carried by Hermes, who stands for trade, commerce, and who is among other things a patron of thieves. A more appropriate symbol for medicine would be the rod of Asclepius, which actually belongs to the god of medicine and healing.

Anyway, good luck with your ambitions! :tongue:
Reply 3
Original post by HexBugMaster
Since you're such an avid medicine fan you should know that the symbol you have on your avatar is actually the caduceus, the rod carried by Hermes, who stands for trade, commerce, and who is among other things a patron of thieves. A more appropriate symbol for medicine would be the rod of Asclepius, which actually belongs to the god of medicine and healing.

Anyway, good luck with your ambitions! :tongue:

Haha I knew about that before but I wasn't expecting anyone to correct me - I chose it on the basis of aesthetics. It just looks better compared to the rod of Asclepius :tongue:

Thanks!
No no no no no no no nonononononooooo!
It kills so much time! Honestly you're better of focusing on 3 subjects, doing maybe some voluntary work or extended projects and stuff like that, this will impress universities more!
Plus doing 4 subjects means more chance of getting worse grades at the end of it. I run out of time and i could've had A*s but got Bs because it wasn't physically possible to do everything and extra work. i mean maybe I have different circumstances.. which subjects are you doing? That plays a big role also.
Reply 5
Original post by buzzybee143
No no no no no no no nonononononooooo!
It kills so much time! Honestly you're better of focusing on 3 subjects, doing maybe some voluntary work or extended projects and stuff like that, this will impress universities more!
Plus doing 4 subjects means more chance of getting worse grades at the end of it. I run out of time and i could've had A*s but got Bs because it wasn't physically possible to do everything and extra work. i mean maybe I have different circumstances.. which subjects are you doing? That plays a big role also.

I see.. well taking only 3 A2s is definitely favourable.

I'm doing Maths, Bio, Chem and R.S.
I see.. well taking only 3 A2s is definitely favourable.

I'm doing Maths, Bio, Chem and R.S.

Drop RS, go on with Maths, Bio and Chem, ace all three and this time next year you'll be getting ready to be a medical student.

Universities only ask for 3 A2's, but if you are taking on four they may give you an offer based on all four, and it probably won't be lenient (instead of asking for AAA they may ask for AAAB or even AAAA). Save the stress, take three.
Reply 7
Original post by loperdoper
Drop RS, go on with Maths, Bio and Chem, ace all three and this time next year you'll be getting ready to be a medical student.

Universities only ask for 3 A2's, but if you are taking on four they may give you an offer based on all four, and it probably won't be lenient (instead of asking for AAA they may ask for AAAB or even AAAA). Save the stress, take three.

Thanks for the advice! I've got a much better idea now - I'll drop one (R.S. was my hardest subject anyway)

Quick Reply

Latest