The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by punctuation
People could always do things a *bit* better with more time. Main thing is not to stress about it. You got it done, it's out in the world now, just kick back and enjoy not having to worry about writing it. Let things take their natural course, you can't change it so just resist looking at it at all. Sure you might have written a sentence better or been less repetitive there, but is that change really going to make or break your application? Likely, not really. Even if so, you just have to learn to let it go (let it goooo) because you are gonna have to submit a lot of much-less-than-perfect things in an academic career, might as well get used to it now. Perfectionism can be damaging, so try to avoid worrying over the details. :smile:

This, and now I can go to sleep feeling much better. You're wonderful. :biggrin:

I tried to give you a thumbs up, but "Please rate some other members before rating this member again." Argh!

Actually, like I said I still feel I probably should've stressed my research experience a bit more (ok, maybe a lot more..) but like you said it's out there and I'll just have to buck up a bit with the applications I'm still working on. Thanks so much for the pep talk, it really did the job! Again, you're wonderful. :borat:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by iceflyier
This, and now I can go to sleep feeling much better. You're wonderful. :biggrin:

I tried to give you a thumbs up, but "Please rate some other members before rating this member again." Argh!

Actually, like I said I still feel I probably should've stressed my research experience a bit more (ok, maybe a lot more..) but like you said it's out there and I'll just have to buck up a bit with the applications I'm still working on. Thanks so much for the pep talk, it really did the job! Again, you're wonderful. :borat:

:console: Glad it helped :biggrin: That might be true but you can save it for the interview! I don't think it matters too much if you're outside the sciences, anyway.

Haha, classic PRSOM. Back at you, too!
Reply 382
Has anyone ever re-read their application stuff and then thought "Well damn, I missed something/could have put it better/should have stressed XYZ more." I feel that I haven't stressed my research experience enough on my application - talked about it a bit in the gradsaf section, but not much beyond that. In retrospect I really feel that I should have, it might have made all the difference. Argh.

Anyone been in this situation before? (My application's already at degree committee, by the way..

That's life, mate. Perfection is an illusion for open-ended things like these, and provided you meet the criteria, you'll make it. I'm learning over time that we sometimes have to reach a point where we say "okay, that's it, I'm done".
Original post by ndtiong
That's life, mate. Perfection is an illusion for open-ended things like these, and provided you meet the criteria, you'll make it. I'm learning over time that we sometimes have to reach a point where we say "okay, that's it, I'm done".

+1, so true!
Any Engineering PhD applicant here? Has anyone received conditional offer yet?
I submitted all my documents on 14 Nov 2014 for PhD in Engineering, got informal chat with potential supervisor at 5 Dec and my Camsis status changed from under consideration by department to application with degree committee (note: Your application has been sent to degree committee for consideration).
Does it means that I have to wait until the next degree committee meeting for getting their decision? I have checked that the next degree committee meeting will be around 26 Jan? Will there be no change on my status until that time then? Anyone got any clue? Thanks

A bit concern with my academic and language condition though. I got my bachelor degree in Indonesia with GPA 3.63/4.00 and master degree in Korea with GPA 3.84/4.30. The International qualification for Indonesian applicant said bachelor degree with 3.7/4.00, the qualification for Korean is a master degree or bachelor degree with 3.80/4.30. Does my background satisfy the condition or not? In my opinion my master degree qualification should have met the requirement but I'm not sure how the systems work, any idea?

My IELTS Overall score is 7.5 with every area except writing above 7.0. My writing score is 6.0. The requirement stated 7.0 in every area and overall score. Will I get rejected because of this?

Good luck for everyone!
Original post by feri2014
I submitted all my documents on 14 Nov 2014 for PhD in Engineering, got informal chat with potential supervisor at 5 Dec and my Camsis status changed from under consideration by department to application with degree committee (note: Your application has been sent to degree committee for consideration).
Does it means that I have to wait until the next degree committee meeting for getting their decision? I have checked that the next degree committee meeting will be around 26 Jan? Will there be no change on my status until that time then? Anyone got any clue? Thanks

A bit concern with my academic and language condition though. I got my bachelor degree in Indonesia with GPA 3.63/4.00 and master degree in Korea with GPA 3.84/4.30. The International qualification for Indonesian applicant said bachelor degree with 3.7/4.00, the qualification for Korean is a master degree or bachelor degree with 3.80/4.30. Does my background satisfy the condition or not? In my opinion my master degree qualification should have met the requirement but I'm not sure how the systems work, any idea?

My IELTS Overall score is 7.5 with every area except writing above 7.0. My writing score is 6.0. The requirement stated 7.0 in every area and overall score. Will I get rejected because of this?

Good luck for everyone!

Don't think they'd go so far as to outright reject you, especially if you have a good application, but they'd tell you to resit your language test for sure.

Good luck for everyone!

Seriously, just email them and ask :smile: (and do it before they go on holiday!!) I'm guessing if it's an explicit requirement they will mind, but they might not reject you just because of a language score. I'm not sure their position re: the Indonesian GPA but it might be ok as you have an improved master's qualification.
Reply 387

Good luck for everyone!

If they like the other stuff your Indonesian grade will probably be considered overtaken by your Korean one. However their English requirement is a university wide minimum so any offer would be conditional upon retaking IELTS to meet the required standard. A couple of people on my course got offers like that - ie it won't prevent a conditional offer being made but it will be added as a condition that must be met.
cool. Thanks a lot guys. I'll just wait and see then.
Best of luck for everyone!^^
Original post by ndtiong

I know this may be a silly thing to ask, especially after you and punctuation made such convincing cases but..I was wondering if they'd look if I uploaded a new supporting document onto CAMSIS, even though my application's at degree consideration already? I mean, the upload button's still pushable.. (still drowning in tears of regret)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 390
I know this may be a silly thing to ask, especially after you and punctuation made such convincing cases but..I was wondering if they'd look if I uploaded a new supporting document onto CAMSIS, even though my application's at degree consideration already? I mean, the upload button's still pushable.. (still drowning in tears of regret)

You ought to ask them and specify which supporting document this is. If they'd look at it, and no harm done. What course are you applying for in the end? In my course at least, some of my referees who looked at my personal statements and application tasks (one of them was from Harvard) mentioned that one reason why my application would come across so well at Cambridge is that they could infer that I was a self-assured and enthusiastic about my subject of study (which I am).

I've never been to the UK but as a Head of Department at an international school, I've written references for people to study at tertiary level. My impression of Oxbridge is that they value people who, besides being academically inclined and passionate about their area of study, are forthright and expressive. I gather that this is because debates and verbal intercourse is a vital part of their teaching approach, so they do need to be relatively self-assured. So you could well be a very intelligent person, but if put next to a person of similar intelligence (or maybe just ever so slightly less intelligent) but is more confident and outspoken, you might be less favoured for a spot at Cambridge.

Would anyone here be able to verify the truth of what I've said?
Original post by ndtiong
You ought to ask them and specify which supporting document this is. If they'd look at it, and no harm done. What course are you applying for in the end? In my course at least, some of my referees who looked at my personal statements and application tasks (one of them was from Harvard) mentioned that one reason why my application would come across so well at Cambridge is that they could infer that I was a self-assured and enthusiastic about my subject of study (which I am).

I've never been to the UK but as a Head of Department at an international school, I've written references for people to study at tertiary level. My impression of Oxbridge is that they value people who, besides being academically inclined and passionate about their area of study, are forthright and expressive. I gather that this is because debates and verbal intercourse is a vital part of their teaching approach, so they do need to be relatively self-assured. So you could well be a very intelligent person, but if put next to a person of similar intelligence (or maybe just ever so slightly less intelligent) but is more confident and outspoken, you might be less favoured for a spot at Cambridge.

Would anyone here be able to verify the truth of what I've said?

I'm applying for a PhD in English, and the supporting document I was thinking of adding is a CV, which they actually don't ask for, but as I mentioned previously, I do feel that it would have added an extra edge to my application, ie the emphasis on my research experience, which I only talked about in the gradsaf section and the Trusts statement in passing (which I'm not even sure the department reads...?) I do agree with you that I should probably write the department office to ask, but I've already written them with so many queries over the past month or so that I'd feel uncomfortable doing so again. Also the fact that I neglected to upload it till now might indicate to them, a lack of professional attitude on my part/negligence.

Although I can't verify what you said since I've never studied at Oxbridge previously, I did my MA in another top-tier Russell uni and what you say makes a lot of sense. When all is said and done, I really probably ought to stop rereading my Cambridge application; I keep finding things I think I should have said better! :banghead:
(edited 9 years ago)
It's almost Christmas. I am alone in my office at uni. I still have to come here everyday because this is the only place I can get and print lots of papers. People in my office (PhD students and Postdocs) are beginning to go back to their home/countries for this vacation. But I still am working here on a RP for a funding whose deadline is at the beginning of January. This deadline is simply crazy. I cannot enjoy this vacasion at all!
Just to ask guys, for a Cambridge MPhil is it disadvantageous to send in an application by, say, January 5th 2015? Since I am still at university (in my last year of an honours degree), I naturally have had examinations and so will not be able to send in a complete application until January. I am hoping to receive funding but am worried that I am applying too late and so will disadvantage myself significantly.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while, but it's the first time I've posted! I've been checking CamSIS obsessively as well :smile:

Status is still "under consideration by department", I've applied for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics. Has anyone heard any news regarding this program? Does the fact that the next degree committee meeting is in late January mean anything?

Completed application (including funding) on November 26th. Good luck to all!
Original post by Smurf67
Just to ask guys, for a Cambridge MPhil is it disadvantageous to send in an application by, say, January 5th 2015? Since I am still at university (in my last year of an honours degree), I naturally have had examinations and so will not be able to send in a complete application until January. I am hoping to receive funding but am worried that I am applying too late and so will disadvantage myself significantly.

Depends on which programme you're applying to and what deadlines they give for applying and funding.

Original post by Lalamore
Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while, but it's the first time I've posted! I've been checking CamSIS obsessively as well :smile:

Status is still "under consideration by department", I've applied for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics. Has anyone heard any news regarding this program? Does the fact that the next degree committee meeting is in late January mean anything?

Completed application (including funding) on November 26th. Good luck to all!

I think it would mean that you won't see any status change until then. This chart may help: http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/process_chart1.pdf
Hey guys,

Is anyone else here applying for PGCE Primary and/or MPhil Education and Psychology? I sent off my UCAS application on Friday and I haven't had anything saying that they've received my application yet, and I'm planning on applying for the Masters over the Christmas holidays..
I'm applying for a PhD in English, and the supporting document I was thinking of adding is a CV, which they actually don't ask for, but as I mentioned previously, I do feel that it would have added an extra edge to my application, ie the emphasis on my research experience, which I only talked about in the gradsaf section and the Trusts statement in passing (which I'm not even sure the department reads...?) I do agree with you that I should probably write the department office to ask, but I've already written them with so many queries over the past month or so that I'd feel uncomfortable doing so again. Also the fact that I neglected to upload it till now might indicate to them, a lack of professional attitude on my part/negligence.

Although I can't verify what you said since I've never studied at Oxbridge previously, I did my MA in another top-tier Russell uni and what you say makes a lot of sense. When all is said and done, I really probably ought to stop rereading my Cambridge application; I keep finding things I think I should have said better! :banghead:

In the Economics department they don't ask for CV. Moreover, I was told that if I submit one, they will not take it into consideration. The rationale behind it is that other applicants do not upload a CV and the applications' assesment would not be fair, if they considered your CV.

Having said that, simply send an email to your department and ask :smile: maybe with English it is different?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by rollerboller
In the Economics department they don't ask for CV. Moreover, I was told that if I submit one, they will not take it into consideration. The rationale behind it is that other applicants do not upload a CV and the applications' assesment would not be fair, if they considered your CV.

Having said that, simply send an email to your department and ask :smile: maybe with English it is different?

Hey, that actually makes a lot of sense, I never thought of it that way :wink: Errr I don't know about writing them again, since my application was for the international funding deadline (which was ages ago...) and like I said it's already at degree committee so. It's Thanks for everyone who pitched in with their two cents, though - I feel I know where I stand now! And good luck to all of us :smile:
Reply 399
Depends on which programme you're applying to and what deadlines they give for applying and funding.

I think it would mean that you won't see any status change until then. This chart may help: http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/files/process_chart1.pdf

So you reckon we won't hear back till January re: decision? I know during the informal interview, my supervisor said I wouldn't hear about colleges till Jan + funding in march

Latest

Trending

Trending