Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Resolved :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
I submitted my application a few days ago, just waiting on referees. Although it depends on each department, how long on average does it take to get a final decision?
Original post by Iamyourfather
I submitted my application a few days ago, just waiting on referees. Although it depends on each department, how long on average does it take to get a final decision?

Depends on whether it interviews too :/
Reply 583

What are you applying for? Some of us might be able to give you personal timescales, etc.
Original post by ianuam
What are you applying for? Some of us might be able to give you personal timescales, etc.

Ah, cool.

MPhil in Medical Science at the Cancer Research Institute.
Ah, cool.

MPhil in Medical Science at the Cancer Research Institute.

And does it interview..?
Original post by punctuation
And does it interview..?

I'm not entirely sure. No interview is indicated on the website. I'll have contact the department to be sure.

(Btw, I managed to get in touch with the PI :tongue:)
I'm not entirely sure. No interview is indicated on the website. I'll have contact the department to be sure.

(Btw, I managed to get in touch with the PI :tongue:)

Hm okay, you could hear back in a month or so, that's just my complete guess though! At least you don't have to wait for an interview though.

Nice! Glad to hear haha.
Reply 588
Original post by MedPharm1
I was quite surprised by it. But then again, I hold an MD and am doing in MSc in engineering, been first author several times etc..., so maybe they went like: another doctorate? if you have to, crazy person...:tongue:

All my friends who applied for PhDs got 67% and over...it was just me opening my offer going..oh, alright:cool:

I know i have been nominated for funding...but no word back yet, so at the moment is is just a nice idea :-)

good luck all of you!!!

With that background I'm surprised you didn't just get an unconditional offer...
Original post by sj27
With that background I'm surprised you didn't just get an unconditional offer...

because i did my MD in a non english speaking country and Cam said they view my UCL graduation as my language requirement + they have to check my MD transcript. When I talked to them it sounded like 'ah, you, yeah..bring that stuff at some point'...:smile:
Reply 590
Hi Everyone - had a question regarding the Cambridge postgrad self-service admission website...
After you submit your application, the website says you have 14 days to submit the necessary documents (i.e. reference, statement of interest etc.)
I just wanted to check if anyone knows whether this deadline is absolutely binding? For example if you fail to upload all documents by then they will automatically withdraw your application?

From reading the FAQ -- it appears that it's not binding as long as you submit well before the course deadline?
"The deadline shown on your self-service for receipt of supporting documents is always 14 days after you have submitted your application. If you cannot meet this deadline then you must submit your documents as soon as you can. However, PLEASE NOTE that your application may not be considered if you provide supporting documents more than 14 days after the course or funding deadline."

Background -- referee told me he has submitted online but I still don't see it showing up on self service. I am currently working overseas and will need time to reach my professor.

Thanks in advance
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by mawi
Hi Everyone - had a question regarding the Cambridge postgrad self-service admission website...
After you submit your application, the website says you have 14 days to submit the necessary documents (i.e. reference, statement of interest etc.)
I just wanted to check if anyone knows whether this deadline is absolutely binding? For example if you fail to upload all documents by then they will automatically withdraw your application?

From reading the FAQ -- it appears that it's not binding as long as you submit well before the course deadline?

Background -- referee told me he has submitted online but I still don't see it showing up on self service. I am currently working overseas and will need time to reach my professor.

Thanks in advance

I don't think they'll delete your application if one of your references is a bit late. But maybe you could email the admissions office to explain your situation. A similar thing happened to me this week in that when my referees first submitted their references they didn't upload for some reason, so I had to get them to submit them again - you should get an automatic email almost immediately saying your reference has been submitted, then it should disappear from camsis within 24 hours - it took about 6 for me.
Reply 592
Original post by mg198
Speaking of grades, does anyone know of a website or way to work out how international grades correspond to the UK system of firsts, 2:1 etc?

Wikipedia does have some equivalents, but I would suggest that you call or email the admissions office or your department secretary. The equivalents can vary from one university to another; for example, I received my undergraduate degree in the United States, but the equivalent of 2: 1 ranges from an overall GPA of 3.25 (UCL, Imperial College London) to one of 3.5 (Cambridge, Oxford, London School of Economics).

BTW, I have been following the forum since September, and this is my first post. Hi Everyone! I applied for an MPhil in Engineering for Sustainable Development in mid-October. After about a month, my Camsis status jumped from awaiting consideration by the degree committee to awaiting consideration by BGS, and I have been awaiting approval of BGS since late-November. The wait is driving me a little insane, but I should hear back fairly soon.
Reply 593
If you submit the documentation as soon as possible, and if it is well before your course deadline, you should be fine. It is a good idea to contact the department as well.

"The deadline shown on your self-service for receipt of supporting documents is always 14 days after you have submitted your application. If you cannot meet this deadline then you must submit your documents as soon as you can. However, PLEASE NOTE that your application may not be considered if you provide supporting documents more than 14 days after the course or funding deadline."
http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/faqs/applicant/what-do-i-do-if-i-cannot-submit-my-supporting-documents-deadline-my-self-service
My last reference for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics came in on the 8th, one day prior to the deadline, and I uploaded my last supporting document on the 9th hours before the deadline. Today, Sunday the 11th, my application status still reads: "Awaiting consideration by the department". Is this normal two days post-deadline? I was hoping to find it "under consideration" at this stage.

I did send the application in very late. I hope that this (and the fact that it hasn't been viewed yet) won't disadvantage me in terms of a place and funding.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Smurf67
My last reference for the MPhil in International Relations and Politics came in on the 8th, one day prior to the deadline, and I uploaded my last supporting document on the 9th hours before the deadline. Today, Sunday the 11th, my application status still reads: "Awaiting consideration by the department". Is this normal two days post-deadline? I was hoping to find it "under consideration" at this stage.

I did send the application in very late. I hope that this (and the fact that it hasn't been viewed yet) won't disadvantage me in terms of a place and funding.

It was only uploaded on Friday! - not a chance they'll have looked at it over the weekend.

It is perfectly normal to remain at this stage from a few days to a few months. The Cambridge system is hugely unpredictable. Be patient :smile:
Original post by Jantaculum
It was only uploaded on Friday! - not a chance they'll have looked at it over the weekend.

It is perfectly normal to remain at this stage from a few days to a few months. The Cambridge system is hugely unpredictable. Be patient :smile:

Hi Jancta, thanks for the message! :smile: You have made me feel better, I am not familiar with how the application process works, so to know that it is perfectly normal to not see a change in status after a couple of days is a relief.
Original post by Smurf67
Hi Jancta, thanks for the message! :smile: You have made me feel better, I am not familiar with how the application process works, so to know that it is perfectly normal to not see a change in status after a couple of days is a relief.

You're welcome. Good luck :smile:
Anybody here who applied for math part 3 heard back from the admissions department yet?
Original post by Smurf67

The MPhil IR is usually pretty slow to respond unless you are a certain yes or a certain no. It has a complex recruitment pool because the course has diverse strands of subjects and a very diverse applicant pool. Going through all those applications and comparing the different academic and professional backgrounds means they don't usually make the bulk of decisions until March, although the deadline seems earlier this year than I recall before so maybe they are on a faster track.

Latest

Trending

Trending