The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bluepill
I have a question. My application is currently stuck at "Awaiting decision by the BoGS". I have a funding competition, which is supposed to make the final decision by the end of this month. This funding requires that I will receive a conditional offer before their making the decision. What I am worrying a bit is, whether there is any meeting in the BoGS this month. Is anybody here who has got a conditional offer already and whose gradsaf admission went through this part on the day that the BoGS officially was not supposed to have a meeting as mentioned in their public schedule? I know this is a silly question, but I desperately want the money. Thank you for reading.

how long it has been with BoGS? The BoGS decision on the applicant is not related with their meeting schedule. So if there is no problem with your application it will only take one or two days in BoGS.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by feri2014
how long it has been with BoGS? The BoGS decision on the applicant is not related with their meeting schedule. So if there is no problem with your application it will only take one or two days in BoGS.

That is a good news! Actually, it just moved to the status two days ago. So, hopefully they will process my app today:smile: Sorry. I am being very nervous about money since this is the most probable one for me... Thank you very much for your comment!
Thanks! Surprisingly youtube has many videos for ielts academic writing tips. lol

Did you finish your LC assessment?

Oh awesome, that's good. Yeah it went OK thanks, although it was quite a comprehensive assessment - it even had an oral assessment that I did over Skype - but it all went well in the end.
Original post by punctuation
Thanks will do! Hope whatever happens at least helps next year's candidates :tongue:

:crossedf:

I've just been given an interview for next week. Apparently it's now mandatory for whole uni to give interviews to PhD candidates...
Original post by greeneyedgirl

I've just been given an interview for next week. Apparently it's now mandatory for whole uni to give interviews to PhD candidates...

Oh really? I only got informal chat with my potential supervisor. Who will interview you next week? Which program are you applying for? Probably it is related with the departmental ranking. Good luck!
I'm really nervous. I had a place last year for a PhD with funding, but had to take time out of my masters as I fell ill. I am better now and have reapplied and my supervisor has been very supportive of my application. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a chance that I may be offered a place again?
Reply 786
Anybody here going to Homerton College this Michaelmas! I'll be studying an MPhil Education there. I wonder how life as a postgraduate would be like in Cambridge. :smile:
Oh really? I only got informal chat with my potential supervisor. Who will interview you next week? Which program are you applying for? Probably it is related with the departmental ranking. Good luck!

They probably count that chat as an interview.

It'll be my supervisor and also the person who will probably be my secondary supervisor (although they're both involved in sorting the applications anyway!)

It's PhD in Linguistics.
Reply 788
Original post by sofiapofia
I'm really nervous. I had a place last year for a PhD with funding, but had to take time out of my masters as I fell ill. I am better now and have reapplied and my supervisor has been very supportive of my application. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a chance that I may be offered a place again?

I don't doubt you'll get a place, but it's funding - as ever. BUt if your proposal was interesting enough to get funding last time, then you're probably in a better place this year than the other candidates.

Best of luck!
How are people funding their master's? If I'm honest, that's worrying me more than anything :frown: I spoke to a potential PI and she made it clear that she can't take any student on unless they have a very clear idea of how they'll fund themselves.
(edited 9 years ago)

I didn't interview...
So, I had my interview. It felt SO short. It was scheduled for 20 minutes and that really flew by, especially as 5 minutes was allocated for my presentation. Didn't get any basic neuro questions or anything on my dissertation, which was surprising. Most of the questions were about my presented work and some about my proposed work. I felt relaxed but on the whole it was a neutral experience as a couple questions I didn't answer too well. But others I think I answered to their satisfaction. The presentation went well and I was able to ask a couple questions at the end. I guess the good points were the presentation, a few answers, that I wasn't at all intimidated and I asked good questions. But the not-so-good points were a couple questions where I rambled as I didn't know what they were really asking. In hindsight I probably should have asked for more clarification but there you go. Lastly I forgot to give them copies of my poster that I brought! Oh well. Not sure when I'll hear back.... Hopefully soonish.
So, I had my interview. It felt SO short. It was scheduled for 20 minutes and that really flew by, especially as 5 minutes was allocated for my presentation. Didn't get any basic neuro questions or anything on my dissertation, which was surprising. Most of the questions were about my presented work and some about my proposed work. I felt relaxed but on the whole it was a neutral experience as a couple questions I didn't answer too well. But others I think I answered to their satisfaction. The presentation went well and I was able to ask a couple questions at the end. I guess the good points were the presentation, a few answers, that I wasn't at all intimidated and I asked good questions. But the not-so-good points were a couple questions where I rambled as I didn't know what they were really asking. In hindsight I probably should have asked for more clarification but there you go. Lastly I forgot to give them copies of my poster that I brought! Oh well. Not sure when I'll hear back.... Hopefully soonish.

Sounds really positive tbh :yep: fingers crossed for you!!
Sounds really positive tbh :yep: fingers crossed for you!!

Thanks! I think it could go either way, depends on the competition really... I don't really mind, we'll have to see! I emailed my supervisor afterwards to say thanks for the help blah blah and he replied saying it went well so that's good I guess, but he also reiterated that it's competitive :dontknow:
Thanks! I think it could go either way, depends on the competition really... I don't really mind, we'll have to see! I emailed my supervisor afterwards to say thanks for the help blah blah and he replied saying it went well so that's good I guess, but he also reiterated that it's competitive :dontknow:

It's a shame that even people who have great things and who the department want may not get offers as limit to numbers etc.
Reply 795
Forgot the AHRC form. OOPS.

But emailed the faculty and they were very nice about it. As long as I get it in by 5pm today, I'll still be considered.

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO ALL OF YOU.
It's a shame that even people who have great things and who the department want may not get offers as limit to numbers etc.

Yeah, or get in but can't go because of lack of funding. :/
Yeah, or get in but can't go because of lack of funding. :/

:sigh: tis very sad :sad:
:sigh: tis very sad :sad:

Yup. If only everything was down to merit alone! Anyway, here's (optimistically) hoping everyone in this thread gets in who deserves to :tongue: Which might not be me, haha.
Yup. If only everything was down to merit alone! Anyway, here's (optimistically) hoping everyone in this thread gets in who deserves to :tongue: Which might not be me, haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending