The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Stayed over at Cambridge on the weekend, my friend managed to get me a guest room in Gonville and Caius...After the trip I kind of wished I could go back and change my college choices, and have this college as one of my options. In terms of convenience, it was perfect, right next to the city centre, albeit having loads of tourists there.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 1181
Any one here applied for the MPhil in Development Studies? My application was complete with supporting documents on 27th Jan. However, my status on CAMSIS is still "awaiting consideration by department".
Original post by ggk
Any one here applied for the MPhil in Development Studies? My application was complete with supporting documents on 27th Jan. However, my status on CAMSIS is still "awaiting consideration by department".

I saw someone got offer as showed on this website : http://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=University+Of+Cambridge&t=a&o=&pp=50
Original post by JimmyLondon
Do everyone really cycle at Cambridge? I was gonna embrace walking ! :biggrin:

Some people walk. Most people cycle.

This shows the amount of cycling (and crazily bad cycling, please always wear a helmet.)

It's something like 1 in 3 journeys in Cambridge are made by bikes :smile:

Original post by IB2015
Stayed over at Cambridge on the weekend, my friend managed to get me a guest room in Gonville and Caius...After the trip I kind of wished I could go back and change my college choices, and have this college as one of my options. In terms of convenience, it was perfect, right next to the city centre, albeit having loads of tourists there.

Same is true for a lot of colleges though :yep: Sidney Sussex, Emma, Pembroke, Christs, Kings etc. etc.
Original post by greeneyedgirl

This shows the amount of cycling (and crazily bad cycling, please always wear a helmet.)

Same is true for a lot of colleges though :yep: Sidney Sussex, Emma, Pembroke, Christs, Kings etc. etc.

How is Sidney Sussex? many tourists around?
Emailed grad admissions earlier asking why scholarship application table had disappeared. Will keep you updated when they reply.

Oh wow - maybe I should get a bike then! At least considering Fitz is a bit out of the way.
Original post by Qihao Huang
How is Sidney Sussex? many tourists around?

Not too many from what I've seen as it's slightly more out of the way and doesn't have as open and obvious an entrance as others. But I've only got friends there so not experienced first hand!

Original post by JimmyLondon
Oh wow - maybe I should get a bike then! At least considering Fitz is a bit out of the way.

Don't get a nice one, get a cheap second hand one. Then get an expensive D-lock. Bikes tend to go wandering if not locked up :sadnod:
Original post by ggk

I Applied for the MPhil Industrial Systems, Manufacturing and Management. Application was complete on the 23rd January, and moved from "Awaiting consideration by department" to "under consideration by department" on the 26th January. Been in limbo ever since.
Not too many from what I've seen as it's slightly more out of the way and doesn't have as open and obvious an entrance as others. But I've only got friends there so not experienced first hand!

Don't get a nice one, get a cheap second hand one. Then get an expensive D-lock. Bikes tend to go wandering if not locked up :sadnod:

Friend who lives in Newnham was saying how she left her bike outside to pop in to her room for 15 minutes, came back and it was gone :redface:
Reply 1190
Thankyou Greeneyedgirl much appreciated, let's see what happens then. I doubt il be living in anyway.

JimmyLondon, Cambridge is quite small and I intend to walk as much as possible too. There is a massive bike culture and expect to almost be run over by a bike at least 3 times a year! Also just a word of warning there is a roaring bike trade between Oxford and Cambridge, so a good bike lock is needed! Also they do seem to love taking bike wheels if they can't take the bike!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ezraa
Thankyou Greeneyedgirl much appreciated, let's see what happens then. I doubt il be living in anyway.

JimmyLondon, Cambridge is quite small and I intend to walk as much as possible too. There is a massive bike culture and expect to almost be run over by a bike at least 3 times a year! Also just a word of warning there is a roaring bike trade between Oxford and Cambridge, so a good bike lock is needed! Also they do seem to love taking bike wheels if they can't take the bike!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah riding bikes scare me a little, as I've never really ridden bikes in town/city traffic before - but then again as Cambridge is quite small it might be ok. Otherwise, I don't mind walking really :smile:
Original post by IB2015
Friend who lives in Newnham was saying how she left her bike outside to pop in to her room for 15 minutes, came back and it was gone :redface:

Yeah at start of term my friend lost her bike when she was in Waitrose for 10 mins, luckily my lock has kept my bike safe and sound so far!

Original post by Ezraa

Posted from TSR Mobile

No worries! And yes, always chain your front wheel as well as your frame if possible, back wheel is pretty well attached what with gears and all!
does anyone know how long it usually takes after the BoGS stage to receive an offer? I don't feel like I can start even being tempted to celebrate until I get it, just in case... the wait is driving me crazy! :smile:
Original post by havana474
does anyone know how long it usually takes after the BoGS stage to receive an offer? I don't feel like I can start even being tempted to celebrate until I get it, just in case... the wait is driving me crazy! :smile:

I got pushed to bogs on friday, offer came through monday / tuesday or something like that. Not log now :smile:
For what it's worth, I was made a conditional offer for a PhD in Education a couple of months ago and my scholarship application table disappeared last night. Today I received an email from my department that I haven't been shortlisted for ESRC funding interviews, but that I might still be successful in CHESS (although the email said they can't inform us who has been ranked by the department for this). While the timing may be coincidental, I suspect that it might suggest that I haven't been ranked by the department for CHESS funding either (mainly because presumably those places will go to the interviewed applicants for ESRC funding who fail and due to the fact that my financial tracking box has disappeared).
Original post by waltz#1
For what it's worth, I was made a conditional offer for a PhD in Education a couple of months ago and my scholarship application table disappeared last night. Today I received an email from my department that I haven't been shortlisted for ESRC funding interviews, but that I might still be successful in CHESS (although the email said they can't inform us who has been ranked by the department for this). While the timing may be coincidental, I suspect that it might suggest that I haven't been ranked by the department for CHESS funding either (mainly because presumably those places will go to the interviewed applicants for ESRC funding who fail and due to the fact that my financial tracking box has disappeared).

Eh, there weren't even interviews for my dept (history) afaik. And my supervisor said I should be in good stead against the cambridge competition. I'm just worried because I, uh, took a while to get my AHRC form in - and so there was never anything showing under that tab. Not even 'section b received'.
Original post by Blutooth
Well, from what I think I've read no 2 colleges can be viewing an application at the same time. Also, I think that an algorithm just randomly determines which college to send your application to.

Those were good college choices. I think on balance I might have liked to apply to Peterhouse due to the on-site grad accommodation and close proximity to the engineering building but I am happy with my college choice. I would also have liked to apply to Johns as a family member went there, but I think if they then rejected me I wouldn't have been able to deal with it.

There are so many colleges to choose from and tbh, you end up just wanting to apply to all of them. haha. Anyway, good luck with your applications...

Well I chose Emma firstly because my potential supervisor is based there and secondly, because of the traditional colleges it was the one I liked best, that I was eligible for and isn't too overly popular like King's. Trinity and St John's won't consider applications from students matriculated at other colleges unless applying for a studentship, which I am doing for Trinity (which I won't get).

I picked Peterhouse because of it's history and I think it seems likes a pretty, traditional college.

However as I am applying for a part-time degree, my chances of admission are already diminished in general and I also have a suspicion I may well get passed over by the "traditional colleges".

Also it's not that I'm not keen to return to my old college (who have said they would accept me should I be made an offer and wish to return to the college) give the opportunity, I would like to experience another college environment and perhaps somewhere with a bit more tradition and history.

But in any case I would be happy to simply receive an offer.
Reply 1198
Original post by ianuam
Emailed grad admissions earlier asking why scholarship application table had disappeared. Will keep you updated when they reply.

Thanks...so strange that it just disappeared
Reply 1199
Shouuld it be a cause for concern if my CAMSIS status is "Awaiting Consideration by Department" for about 2 weeks now?

Latest

Trending

Trending