The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

I was going to apply for MPhil in clinical neuro but was convinced to go for a PhD instead. So will be applying for 2-3 PhDs (same project, same person, just different 'courses' technically) in clinical neuroscience. I haven't started applications yet but plan to by the end of September.

The college fee does not include accommodation - sorry!

Lastly, I'm applying to a couple other four-year PhDs, a master's or two in cognitive science/neuroscience and a master's or two in computer science. Good luck :biggrin:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Good luck 2015 applicants, from a 2014 applicant.

Get ready to learn patience - I've only just had my place confirmed after starting the process in January. And don't let it distract you from your current studies!
Original post by punctuation
I was going to apply for MPhil in clinical neuro but was convinced to go for a PhD instead. So will be applying for 2-3 PhDs (same project, same person, just different 'courses' technically) in clinical neuroscience. I haven't started applications yet but plan to by the end of September.

The college fee does not include accommodation - sorry!

Lastly, I'm applying to a couple other four-year PhDs, a master's or two in cognitive science/neuroscience and a master's or two in computer science. Good luck :biggrin:

Oh how exciting! I was thinking about a PhD as well, but have only done a BA (and not been in academia for 5 years!) so think a masters (or MPhil as they call it...) would be a good start :smile:
Have either of you thought much about college choices? I think I've 'narrowed' it down to about 8 :smile:
Original post by JimmyLondon
Oh how exciting! I was thinking about a PhD as well, but have only done a BA (and not been in academia for 5 years!) so think a masters (or MPhil as they call it...) would be a good start :smile:

Yeah, that's what I thought too - except the guy I met at Cambridge convinced me otherwise! I'm applying for master's elsewhere but I think in the case of the Cambridge project, it's a good idea to apply for a PhD.

Original post by JimmyLondon
Have either of you thought much about college choices? I think I've 'narrowed' it down to about 8 :smile:

That is the question... :tongue: On one hand I'd like to be close to where I might work so Homerton or one of the colleges nearer the station (e.g. Emma, Christ's). On the other hand, I need to look where the funding is, so I still have that to decide... Other colleges I've considered are Cauis, Corpus, Downing and Pembroke. Most of these I haven't yet visited! If you have any recommendations, let me know :tongue:
Reply 6
I did my MPhil in Cambridge, so do let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck!
Oh thanks! What course did you do? And how did you find it, generally?
Reply 8
Rather not say my course :wink: But what I can tell you is that it was awesome! I enjoyed it so very, very much!
Oh that's excellent. The more I read/think about Cambridge the more appealing it seems. Did any of you do undergrads there as well, or just postgrads?
I'm thinking of applying for a history masters. Can anyone give me any advice of the kind of things they look for in an application? Do you think work experience in archives etc. is worthwhile or should I just be focused on getting the best undergrad grades possible?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by emmaross
I'm thinking of applying for a history masters. Can anyone give me any advice of the kind of things they look for in an application? Do you think work experience in archives etc. is worthwhile or should I just be focused on getting the best undergrad grades possible?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Apart from having grades that meet the requirements (equivalent of 2:1 or better), you need to have a really solid research proposal. That, I think, is one of the really key things. You also need good reference letters, and, of course, a sense for how you're going to fund your MPhil.
Reply 12
Any law applicants here?

Are you guys going to apply for Oxford as well? I think this is possible, unlike applying for Oxbridge at undergraduate level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kset
Any law applicants here?

Are you guys going to apply for Oxford as well? I think this is possible, unlike applying for Oxbridge at undergraduate level?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a law applicant, neuroscience here. But yes also applying to Oxford, there's no pick-one-only rule after your first undergrad degree. Good luck with your applications!
Update: Visited trinity hall and sidney sussex today and I've decided on my colleges - think I'm going for Trinity Hall first and Peterhouse second. Trying to get nice ones with scholarships that are not too far from Addenbrookes. :tongue: Anyone else have college choices? :smile:
I'll just repost what I pasted in another similar thread: I'm applying for MPhil in International Relations and Politics, however, I was confused when I was asked to select a particular college. To be honest, I'm not so much as confused as I am overwhelmed by the choices.

Is anyone else planning on pursuing the same programme that I am? Moreover, which 2 colleges did you pick in your application?
Original post by alwaysdrifting
I'll just repost what I pasted in another similar thread: I'm applying for MPhil in International Relations and Politics, however, I was confused when I was asked to select a particular college. To be honest, I'm not so much as confused as I am overwhelmed by the choices.

Is anyone else planning on pursuing the same programme that I am? Moreover, which 2 colleges did you pick in your application?

I was confused initially, too. First, if you can go visit, do (I didn't as I was an international student). If you can base your choices on your visit, great, if you can't visit, here are some tips:

1) Read all of the college websites and see which ones appeal to you. Some criteria for selecting: funding availability, accommodation quality/location, number of fellows in your field, look of the college, size of the college, social opportunities, location in town, etc.
2) Narrow your list down to just a few and have a look on YouTube for little tours or videos about your college (many have videos of their choirs, for instance, that might contain info about college life).
3) If you can't decide which of your favorite two to put first, aim to put the more popular college first and the less popular second, that way, if you don't get a spot at the more popular one, your second choice is a more likely bet and you probably won't end up getting pooled. The university website has a list of the popularity of each college (i.e. how many postgrad applications they get vs. number of places) and will say which ones are "A" colleges (most popular) on down through "C" colleges.
Original post by Viceroy
Read all of the college websites and see which ones appeal to you. Some criteria for selecting: funding availability, accommodation quality/location, number of fellows in your field, look of the college, size of the college, social opportunities, location in town, etc.

Can I ask why number of fellows in one's field would be important?
I'm applying for a PhD in computer science. Not really made up my mind about colleges, but my current top choices are Christ's (mainly because it's pretty) and Darwin (postgrad-only is appealing, and the location is on the river and kind of on the way to compsci). Emmanuel is tempting mainly because it has ducks. I'm not too fussed about colleges, but if I'm going to spend any time there it'd be nice to be at a pretty one which isn't too far from stuff :smile:

I'm also considering applying to one of the ridiculously rich/grand ones (like King's) just for the hell of it :tongue:.
Original post by LtCommanderData
I'm applying for a PhD in computer science. Not really made up my mind about colleges, but my current top choices are Christ's (mainly because it's pretty) and Darwin (postgrad-only is appealing, and the location is on the river and kind of on the way to compsci). Emmanuel is tempting mainly because it has ducks. I'm not too fussed about colleges, but if I'm going to spend any time there it'd be nice to be at a pretty one which isn't too far from stuff :smile:

I'm also considering applying to one of the ridiculously rich/grand ones (like King's) just for the hell of it :tongue:.

Sounds like you have it somewhat figured out. I personally felt that I was spending way too much time trying to look at whether I would like what the place looks like. My sole interest is in learning from some of the best, not particularly what it'd look like.

Would being amongst undergraduate students be a problem as a potential grad student?
(edited 9 years ago)