The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Software for Electronic & Electrical Engineering Course

Hi there

I start on the EEE degree course in September and was wondering if any one could tell me which computer software is used over the course? I'd like to familiarise myself with it as soon as possible.

Thanks!
Original post by Jimbob62
Hi there

I start on the EEE degree course in September and was wondering if any one could tell me which computer software is used over the course? I'd like to familiarise myself with it as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Hi I'm a 3rd Year on ECS which did have the same first 2 years as EEE. In the first year we didn't use many industry pieces of software apart from Cadence twicel; only to do simple analogue circuit analysis. If you want a head start I'd look at learning/brushing up on C and MATLAB as that's what is taught in your Programming and Software Design module.
(edited 9 years ago)
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Original post by berwick53
Hi I'm a 3rd Year on ECS which did have the same first 2 years as EEE. In the first year we didn't use many industry pieces of software apart from Cadence twicel; only to do simple analogue circuit analysis. If you want a head start I'd look at learning/brushing up on C and MATLAB as that's what is taught in your Programming and Software Design module.

Hey,

How do you find the course? Whats the timetable like in the first two years? Is the department good?

Thanks
Original post by KoolKapasi
Hey,

How do you find the course? Whats the timetable like in the first two years? Is the department good?

Thanks

Yeah the course is pretty good and they've taken feedback from our year very well and have changed the modules for year 1 to include more project work which is a good thing.

I've attached the semester 1 timetables which where for 2012/13. But you won't have labs every week and when you do it will most likely be in the morning or the afternoon.

The department is pretty well run, for the most part the lecturers are excellent, in particular the teaching of Circuits and Electronics in the first year.
Yeah the course is pretty good and they've taken feedback from our year very well and have changed the modules for year 1 to include more project work which is a good thing.

I've attached the semester 1 timetables which where for 2012/13. But you won't have labs every week and when you do it will most likely be in the morning or the afternoon.

The department is pretty well run, for the most part the lecturers are excellent, in particular the teaching of Circuits and Electronics in the first year.

Thank you, this was very helpful.

In terms of workload, how did you find it? How hard is the course in terms of difficulty(the maths, the concepts etc) and would you recommend something to me for a fresher studying EEE starting 2014?

Thank you very much.
Original post by KoolKapasi
Thank you, this was very helpful.

In terms of workload, how did you find it? How hard is the course in terms of difficulty(the maths, the concepts etc) and would you recommend something to me for a fresher studying EEE starting 2014?

Thank you very much.

I didn't find the workload particularly bad as long as you start work early and ask questions If you don't understand.

Regarding maths the uni has the Mathematics Learning Support Centre (MLSC) where you can get 1-1 help with a maths lecturer, but the first year covers not much more the what A level further maths does.

When you start you'll be taking the following modules: ELA001, ELA002, ELA003, ELA004, ELA005, ELA007, ELA010, MAA303. If you want to have a look at the topics which where taught in the modules last year replace the ELA001 with the module codes above.

http://cisinfo.lboro.ac.uk/epublic/WP5015.module_spec?select_mod=13ELA001

I'd recommend playing around programming in C as that will give you a nice head start and start looking at the contents of the link above as learning circuit theory will help as the first in class test you'll take in week 6 will be on Resistive Networks.
I didn't find the workload particularly bad as long as you start work early and ask questions If you don't understand.

Regarding maths the uni has the Mathematics Learning Support Centre (MLSC) where you can get 1-1 help with a maths lecturer, but the first year covers not much more the what A level further maths does.

When you start you'll be taking the following modules: ELA001, ELA002, ELA003, ELA004, ELA005, ELA007, ELA010, MAA303. If you want to have a look at the topics which where taught in the modules last year replace the ELA001 with the module codes above.

http://cisinfo.lboro.ac.uk/epublic/WP5015.module_spec?select_mod=13ELA001

I'd recommend playing around programming in C as that will give you a nice head start and start looking at the contents of the link above as learning circuit theory will help as the first in class test you'll take in week 6 will be on Resistive Networks.

Whaaat most exams are like 3hrs long. Lol!
On the applicant day, they said that most exams are at the end of the year rather than 2 sets of exams like other unis. Do you prefer that, because most unis I went to all had 2 sets of exams.
In terms of coursework, I gave noticed that lufbra has quite a lot of cousework, is that mostly individual in the first year or mixed with groups aswell?

Thanks bro!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending