The Student Room Group

HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering

I could do this or I could do the HNC in Engineering (General)

The difference is some of the units are different, but you can also choose some your units. For example you could do Robotics/PLCs or Quality and Process Improvement. Do employers look at the units you have done or even care which units you have done or just do they care about if you have an HNC or not?
Original post by dancehead
I could do this or I could do the HNC in Engineering (General)

The difference is some of the units are different, but you can also choose some your units. For example you could do Robotics/PLCs or Quality and Process Improvement. Do employers look at the units you have done or even care which units you have done or just do they care about if you have an HNC or not?

At this level it won't matter that much which units you pick, but I think if the job/career that you're after has something to do with electrical engineering it would be more beneficial to do electrical/electronic engineering rather than general engineering.
That would also make more sense if you wanted to do a BEng in Elec Eng after you've completed your HNC.

As always, the answer is - it depends. If you don't know what engineering domain you prefer yet and/or you don't have plans on what path to take either in engineering career or with further studies at Uni, then I'd suggest general engineering as it will give you a wider exposure to the different applications of engineering. If you go that route, then I'd suggest selecting technical subjects as opposed to the generic ones like quality, production engineering or even management (some engineering courses have that option for some reason, fyi having done a management unit doesn't qualify you as a manager).
Reason for taking a more technical path is (for example) you can become a quality engineer with mech or elec engineering degree, but it's hard to become an elec engineer without prior technical training.

If you goal is getting a BEng then why not go straight to Uni? if you don't have the necessary A levels for that then you can do a foundation year at the Uni of your choice which will grant you direct access to the BEng course of your choice (assuming you pass the foundation year exams of course).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I don't think my goal is to get BEng, it will take too many years. I already got a job in electronics engineering now anyway. I just wanted to update my CV really
(edited 11 months ago)
I’d personally suggest electrical and electronic engineering. I completed my HNC in this and my HND in general.
Although not everything will be relevant, working in electronics and learning the engineering behind it all, I’ve had a lot of ‘Ahh so that’s how that works’ moments, where as I’ve found the general is mainly just maths.
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by ThatguyAl
At this level it won't matter that much which units you pick, but I think if the job/career that you're after has something to do with electrical engineering it would be more beneficial to do electrical/electronic engineering rather than general engineering.
That would also make more sense if you wanted to do a BEng in Elec Eng after you've completed your HNC.

As always, the answer is - it depends. If you don't know what engineering domain you prefer yet and/or you don't have plans on what path to take either in engineering career or with further studies at Uni, then I'd suggest general engineering as it will give you a wider exposure to the different applications of engineering. If you go that route, then I'd suggest selecting technical subjects as opposed to the generic ones like quality, production engineering or even management (some engineering courses have that option for some reason, fyi having done a management unit doesn't qualify you as a manager).
Reason for taking a more technical path is (for example) you can become a quality engineer with mech or elec engineering degree, but it's hard to become an elec engineer without prior technical training.

If you goal is getting a BEng then why not go straight to Uni? if you don't have the necessary A levels for that then you can do a foundation year at the Uni of your choice which will grant you direct access to the BEng course of your choice (assuming you pass the foundation year exams of course).

I don't have A-Levels and been offered to study EEE at Aston University for foundation year however I could study EEE HNC/D online remotely and then top up my qualifications to BEng level.

The downside of studying remotely however would be that I wouldn't have access to labs and equipment that they offer in University such as CAD software, Matlab, Oscliscopes and soldering stations. Also, going to university gives me an option for work placement to gain experience in the field.

Moreover studying remotely will allow me to work full time and accumulate less debt as HNC/D courses are less costly and take time studying the content of the course (less intensive).

University course for BEng would be five years for me because I'll be doing a foundation year and a year in the industry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending