The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Teaddict
How hard is it to become an academic? What is the path?

See previous replies.
Original post by chazwomaq
Evolutionary psychology, especially mate choice.

This split is typical in the UK. You do get teaching only posts - becoming much more common nowadays. Research only posts are what postdocs do, but they are not permanent: 2-5 years typically. Pretty much all lecturers and professors have to teach something, but the amount can vary. The stereotype is the Oxbridge professor who sees students as pesky encroachments into his research time, and delegates it all to his students and lab team. Not entirely true (or entirely false!).

Very insightful, thank you very much. :smile:

What are the current trends in mate choice from an evopsych perspective? Anything TSRians would find particularly interesting??

Several pages. Use your research skills!

LOL. :lol:
Dot know too much about teacher training, sorry. (I assume you mean school teaching). But I don't think you could teach English with only a GCSE. I'm sure you can find info on entry requirements here or elsewhere http://www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/teacher-training-options.aspx?sc_lang=en-GB

I apologize for replying late, I should have mentioned teaching adults, colleges, local council's. I had a look at master's in web technologies, but I'd also want to progress onto 1st line, help desk therefore if I can't Find teaching roles I can apply for help desk. If I did master's would it get me into teaching in community, colleges. Would i have to complete PhD.
I'm not an expert but:

Original post by queensboy
1) Can we think to ourselves in our mind and speak out loud at the same time?

No.

2) Does knowing more than one language fluently mean you can think in more than one language?

Yes.

3) If you can think in more than one language, which one do you pick and why?
FYI when I say "think" I mean talking to yourself in your mind.

Depends. I had a chat to a bilingual colleague who tends to think in English in England, but sometimes switches back to french e.g. if doing mental maths because it's quicker. In France he will revert to French, but sometimes only after a few days of thinking in English.
Original post by jpowis123
I apologize for replying late, I should have mentioned teaching adults, colleges, local council's. I had a look at master's in web technologies, but I'd also want to progress onto 1st line, help desk therefore if I can't Find teaching roles I can apply for help desk. If I did master's would it get me into teaching in community, colleges. Would i have to complete PhD.

I don't know, sorry.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Very insightful, thank you very much. :smile:

What are the current trends in mate choice from an evopsych perspective? Anything TSRians would find particularly interesting??

Lots of interesting stuff recently about how contraceptive pills may alters women's choice of partners, and how that may affect relationship satisfaction. See linked paper for example.

The invention of the oral contraceptive was one of the biggest ever medical trials where we had no idea what the long-term consequences would be. Fortunately it seems to be nothing too terrible.

But it's fascinating and a little unsettling to think that it may be changing who marries whom, and could genuinely cause evolutionary change via sexual selection.

http://rspb.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/early/2011/10/10/rspb.2011.1647.full

Hormonal variation over the menstrual cycle alters women's preferences for phenotypic indicators of men's genetic or parental quality. Hormonal contraceptives suppress these shifts, inducing different mate preference patterns among users and non-users. This raises the possibility that women using oral contraception (OC) choose different partners than they would do otherwise but, to date, we know neither whether these laboratory-measured effects are sufficient to exert real-world consequences, nor what these consequences would be. Here, we test for differences in relationship quality and survival between women who were using or not using OC when they chose the partner who fathered their first child. Women who used OC scored lower on measures of sexual satisfaction and partner attraction, experienced increasing sexual dissatisfaction during the relationship, and were more likely to be the one to initiate an eventual separation if it occurred. However, the same women were more satisfied with their partner's paternal provision, and thus had longer relationships and were less likely to separate. These effects are congruent with evolutionary predictions based on cyclical preference shifts. Our results demonstrate that widespread use of hormonal contraception may contribute to relationship outcome, with implications for human reproductive behaviour, family cohesion and quality of life.
Do you/did you ever get nervous before lectures?

Any public speaking tips? How did you become comfortable talking at so many people?
See previous advice in this thread.

It only blocks attraction to students. My wife isn't a student.

Have I bonked in a plane? Unless it's almost empty I just don't see how it's feasible. The seats are cramped enough without trying to squeeze another person in!

how can it tell the diff
See previous replies.

All ten pages of them? Can you be so kind as to provide a link to a specific post?
Original post by fat_hobbit
how can it tell the diff

All right, it's time to come clean. The hormone blocker is a myth.

I lost my virginity with 5 of my horny students while flying at 30,000 feet.
All ten pages of them? Can you be so kind as to provide a link to a specific post?

I can't remember. One of us will have to go through and check.
Original post by Miracle Day
Do you/did you ever get nervous before lectures?

Any public speaking tips? How did you become comfortable talking at so many people?

I still always get a big nervous before public speaking, it's only natural. But through practice you learn that the butterflies are not to be scared of. It's an involuntary response of the sympathetic nervous system preparing you for action and diverting blood away from the stomach.

So use the butterflies as energy for your talk.

I think people are nervous because they don't like being judged by a crowd. This is perfectly natural. In fact psychologists exploit this by getting people to speak in order to experimentally stress them. But if you can take the focus away from you and onto what you're saying, people won't be judging you but concentrating on what you say.

So have something interesting to say.
See previous replies.

You have answered why you became a lecturer but, from what I can see, not how you become one, the path.
What it says on the tin.

Squat? Deadlift? Bench Press?
Reply 194
Do you speak foreign languages? Is it a plus for an academic career?
As an academic, how do you view Leicester University?

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have answered why you became a lecturer but, from what I can see, not how you become one, the path.

Check post #3. My qualifications give you my path. I became a lecturer straight after my PhD.
Original post by Bill_Plates
Squat? Deadlift? Bench Press?

The big 3 recommended exercises for weight lifting.

I work out at home, mainly calisthenics and free weights in my basement.
Original post by Josb
Do you speak foreign languages? Is it a plus for an academic career?

I can get by in French and know a little German, but not enough to teach or anything.

Speaking English is the main language you need because most top journals are English language. Indeed several continental universities teach in English.

A foreign language is useful for collaborating I guess, but English is the lingua franca. I guess if anything, Chinese would be the best to know as they will be the next big thing in science, industry, and everything!
Check post #3. My qualifications give you my path. I became a lecturer straight after my PhD.

Yes but how? Did you pray to Santa? How did it happen, specifically.

Latest