The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP - this is my last chance to pass uni

Can anybody help me with ecology / environmental science type of work ?

Or can anyone advise me on how to study when I understand literally nothing in lectures. I'm in my first year, already deferred a a module or 2 to the August resit period, and am very reluctant to ask my lecturer for help again because I can't make sense to them with any questions as I don't understand the work. I'm a bit annoyed that the uni didn't warn me on how little knowledge I have for the course, just because I passed foundation year (which was completely unrelated to the course, was very general).

Would really appreciate any help, esp from environmental science / ecology and conservation students
Original post by tvdfan
Can anybody help me with ecology / environmental science type of work ?

Or can anyone advise me on how to study when I understand literally nothing in lectures. I'm in my first year, already deferred a a module or 2 to the August resit period, and am very reluctant to ask my lecturer for help again because I can't make sense to them with any questions as I don't understand the work. I'm a bit annoyed that the uni didn't warn me on how little knowledge I have for the course, just because I passed foundation year (which was completely unrelated to the course, was very general).

Would really appreciate any help, esp from environmental science / ecology and conservation students
Hi @tvdfan!

I first want to say that, although it is easier said than done, try not to worry too much, a lot of people feel the same way as you do - you are not alone (I have definitely felt like this before).

I would suggest rewatching your lectures, if possible, and go over the lecture slides. When you're rewatching the lectures, if you don't understand anything you can pause them and search it up online. I don't know about your university, but at Lancaster the lecturers provide additional reading material - if you have been provided with this, I would also recommend you reading some of that.

It might also help to go over past papers for your modules, so you know what kind of topics come up, and if you have been given any learning outcomes for your module, take a look at those so that you know what you're expected to have learned during the module - this might help to start off your studying.

What topics are you studying for you modules? I may have used some resources during my course that could be useful to you.

Hope this helps!
Libby
Lancaster University Student Ambassador, 3rd year Environmental Science BSc
Reply 2
Hi Libby!

Ty so much for replying, it's really appreciated

The topics I'm struggling with as part of an introductory ecology module are - Individuals and Life histories, Life tables
And also density dependence

But most importantly, do you have any resources on phase 1 habitat surveys too, that's the field course and is doing my head in!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending