The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="emiloujess;50714593"]Hi, this is a question about universities in general.
I'm currently taking AS Sociology, Psychology and Film Studies. I want to do a degree in psychology and continue on to either Forensic Psychology or Media Psychology. However, last year I did AS and got 2U's and 2E's, and so was forced to retake.
I have two questions I would like to ask you:

1) Will I be at a disadvantage being a year older when I apply to uni?

No. However, your grades are not good and your subjects are quite weak, which might limit the offers you get.

2) Do I need Maths to do a Psychology degree? I was doing maths but I dropped it for Film, which I absolutely love.

Thank you so much!
Emiloujess

You don't need it, although I would say it's the most useful subject you can do along with biology.
Original post by Bude8
So do you actually have a fair bit of free time then?

As in during the working day? Well, I'm not teaching for 8 hours straight (probably 50% of the time), but the remaining time is spent doing admin and research.
Original post by Mike.Ross
So say, you've been given of journals/articles/reviews after a particular lecture. How do you go about extracting the information from it and then using it in an essay during an exam (not coursework)?

Read it and remember it. I recommend making notes - say half a page to a page per article. There I would summarise the research question, method, and results briefly. I would then use my own notes to revise from at exam time, and I would test myself sight unseen against them, trying to reproduce that info. Then I check against my notes, and rewrite anything I didn't remember.
Original post by idontknowaname
what would be a better subject to study?

Psychology (Single Honours)

or

Psychology and Business (Joint Honours)

whats better for job prospects?

thanks alot

I'm not sure the job prospects would be too different assuming they're the same university. Personally, I think joint honours can be a bit of a risk so I would go for single honours.
Can the human brain recognise more than one object in it's visual field at the same time?
Do lecturers gossip about students amongst themselves or do they not really bother?

In your new starter pack, does it say anything funny about pastoral care like "it is not appropriate to go home with students" or something- does it mention the pastoral side at all? :smile:
Original post by chazwomaq
As in during the working day? Well, I'm not teaching for 8 hours straight (probably 50% of the time), but the remaining time is spent doing admin and research.

After 'work' I mean - you don't exactly have 'homework' to do as a lecturer do you? Or does your job involve marking students' work etc as well?
Reply 387
What other than extra reading and volunteering I could do to improve my application? I am taking a gap year and want to study Psychology.
Original post by Bude8
After 'work' I mean - you don't exactly have 'homework' to do as a lecturer do you? Or does your job involve marking students' work etc as well?

Yes, I don't work that much I leave work. Perhaps a few hours a week. i have a young family and they take up all my free time.

At exam time, I might spend some evenings marking, and I have taken marking on holiday before. But that only 2 weeks a year. The rest of the time any marking I can do during work.
Original post by mulberry1
Do lecturers gossip about students amongst themselves or do they not really bother?

Only the odd student who has done something memorable. We gossip about the other staff more :smile:

In your new starter pack, does it say anything funny about pastoral care like "it is not appropriate to go home with students" or something- does it mention the pastoral side at all? :smile:

Most of the lecturers here are personal tutors, so we will help students with personal issues to the extent we can. There are probably some guidelines but I don't know them. As we are all adults, it pretty relaxed. The main issue is abusing a position of authority e.g. being bribed or exchanging "other favours" for grades, which is not allowed of course.
Original post by ddiaa
What other than extra reading and volunteering I could do to improve my application? I am taking a gap year and want to study Psychology.

I'm not sure that these these things will make much difference. Study the right subject and get high grades and you can maximise the number of places you will get offers from.
Can the human brain recognise more than one object in it's visual field at the same time? Since you are a psychologist.
Hey

What do you say joint honours is to much of a risk?

Yes both degrees are at the same university and both degrees are accredited by BPS however the joint honours is accredited by CIPD as well.

As I am not sure what career path I want I thought the joint honours would be a better choice now I'm having second thoughts 🙏

Thank you for replying and any input would be helpful 😊
Original post by idontknowaname
Hey

What do you say joint honours is to much of a risk?

Yes both degrees are at the same university and both degrees are accredited by BPS however the joint honours is accredited by CIPD as well.

As I am not sure what career path I want I thought the joint honours would be a better choice now I'm having second thoughts 🙏

Thank you for replying and any input would be helpful 😊

I've taught joint honours students. They tend to be weaker than single honours, but that's because of lower entry standards at my uni. They also feel disadvantaged because they don't get as much teaching in psychology as single honours but take the same exams.

I have also had psych students take courses in other department and fall foul of different marking cultures, and generally not knowing how the subject works in the other department.
How good are you at recognising objects with your peripheral vision?
Original post by queensboy
How good are you at recognising objects with your peripheral vision?

fine
fine

Do your students know you are on TSR?
Do your students know you are on TSR?

Don't know. I don't tell them.
Don't know. I don't tell them.

But after 20 pages of AMA, won't they eventually figure out from your writing style and little facts about yourself.
But after 20 pages of AMA, won't they eventually figure out from your writing style and little facts about yourself.

The smart ones could. And if you shake me by the hand and say how much you enjoyed my AMA you might get extra credit.

Latest