The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Proxenus
He said confidential

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by chazwomaq
I will evade that question to preserve anonynimity, sorry.

Oh okay, it's quite alright :h:
Frivolous question: Do you ever laugh (derisively, pityingly, or just 'cos you're amused) at students' essays?

Serious questions: At what point did you decide to become an academic? Is it really "the life of the mind"? Can it be? Does it frustrate you having to spend a lot of your time operating below your level, basically (i.e. teaching undergrads and marking their essays, rather than working with your peers)?
Original post by Gurs
Haha makes sense. I managed to get 64% in my first year with like 4% attendance :tongue:.

At Herfordshire, so it doesn't count.
Reply 783
Original post by callum_law
At Herfordshire, so it doesn't count.

Valid point, lmao.
Original post by Gurs
Valid point, lmao.

I am only kidding. Good luck with next year, bud.
Reply 785
Original post by callum_law
I am only kidding. Good luck with next year, bud.

All Gucci mate. You too.
I think I may have joined the wrong thread...alas...
Original post by Do1phinDreamer
1) Did you always intend to become a teacher of some kind? Did you always mean to go into lecturing at uni?
2) Did you ever have any doubts about your decision once it was made?
3) What made you decide to go into lecturing at uni?
4) How do you find it? What do you like and dislike about it? Would you encourage other people to follow the path of teaching if they're considering it?

Thank you so much! Hope it's not too much to ask - being a 16 year old clueless as to her future is a bit rubbish, to be honest. I don't know HOW all my peers 'know' (I know they'll probably change) what they want, but I certainly don't!!

When I was 16 I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. I think the way you feel is TOTALLY normal. More of your friends that you realise probably feel exactly the same.

At that age, I was only really thinking about what A levels to take, and vaguely what subject at university. I liked science, so I took mainly science A levels. I didn't even think about careers until I was in uni.

I had a couple of other career plans, but during my last year of university I knew I at least wanted to do a PhD. During my PhD (some years later) I knew I wanted to keep doing research, and so become an academic. I did some other jobs in publishing I didn't really like, so by the time I was applying for lecturing jobs I knew I didn't want to go back, and I haven't doubted my career since.

I really enjoy the chance to teach and research a subject I find fascinating. There is also a lot of job freedom compared to so many others. I also like the job because it's not about making as much money as you can for yourself or your boss or shareholders.

I think it's a great career, but there are very few jobs in it. Only a small percentage of people who get PhDs will become lecturers (but not all might want to).
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
Frivolous question: Do you ever laugh (derisively, pityingly, or just 'cos you're amused) at students' essays?

At times an involuntary chuckle has been known to escape my lips.

Serious questions: At what point did you decide to become an academic? Is it really "the life of the mind"? Can it be? Does it frustrate you having to spend a lot of your time operating below your level, basically (i.e. teaching undergrads and marking their essays, rather than working with your peers)?

When I was doing my PhD it was basically "this is fun, let's keep going". It is kind of "the life of the mind", although you spend a lot of time doing day to day stuff, but that's the same as any job. Compared to other jobs I've done, this is the only one where you really have to think for a living.

Sometimes it's frustrating teaching, but not because they're at a low level. It's only when they haven't bothered trying that I think "why did I just lecture on this topic for the past 2 hours", or when they write something I've specifically told them is wrong. It's enjoyable showing someone how something works when they want to know. And I still get to work with my peers a lot so I've no complaints.
What is doing research like? Do you do a lot of experiments and analyse the results?
Original post by jackien1
What is doing research like? Do you do a lot of experiments and analyse the results?

In short, yes.
Reply 791
Hi I have a question that I would love if a lecturer could answer. Do universities have certain targets that they need to meet in terms of student grades?
I ask because I just got my Psychology Masters dissertation grade today and I got an 87 in it. Now I am thrilled, but also suspicious-- it can't really have been THAT good? I feel I could have done better, I can think of lots of ways in which I could have improved it, I'm sure for every way I can spot my lecturers could spot a dozen more. I go to a Russell group university, this is no 'mickey mouse' course. I would believe it if I got a 70 or even a 75, but 87 is just too much.
I am also a teacher, so I know about the pressure on teachers to inflate the students' grades in order for the school to meet its targets/get more funding/look better than every other school. So, I was wondering whether this could have happened in my case? There were only about 10 of us on the Masters, maybe some of them failed and they needed to give me a high grade to keep their average up? How likely is this?
Original post by ann3600
Hi I have a question that I would love if a lecturer could answer. Do universities have certain targets that they need to meet in terms of student grades?
I ask because I just got my Psychology Masters dissertation grade today and I got an 87 in it. Now I am thrilled, but also suspicious-- it can't really have been THAT good? I feel I could have done better, I can think of lots of ways in which I could have improved it, I'm sure for every way I can spot my lecturers could spot a dozen more. I go to a Russell group university, this is no 'mickey mouse' course. I would believe it if I got a 70 or even a 75, but 87 is just too much.
I am also a teacher, so I know about the pressure on teachers to inflate the students' grades in order for the school to meet its targets/get more funding/look better than every other school. So, I was wondering whether this could have happened in my case? There were only about 10 of us on the Masters, maybe some of them failed and they needed to give me a high grade to keep their average up? How likely is this?

Congratulations, 87% is a tremendous mark.

Universities make up their own targets about grades, sometimes explicitly, sometimes implicitly. We have for example a guideline that averages for modules should be between 55% and 65%, but that is broken regularly.

There is DEFINITELY pressure to inflate grades though. Now we have fees, league tables and key information sets, one factor we are judged on is the numbers of 1sts and 2.1s handed out. A student choosing between two similar universities would be very tempted to choose the one that gives out more 1sts. And we are in turn are tempted to lower standards to get more students (and more money).

I predict we are going to see huge grade inflation in the coming years, a trend that has started already:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/11/degrees-getting-easier-number-firsts-double_n_2453631.html

https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/half-universities-have-made-changes-degree-algorithms

I love this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25811702

Researcher Kwok Tong Soo says there was no evidence of universities contributing to grade inflation - and that rising degree grades reflected what could be expected from rising A-level grades.

But everyone knows that A level grades have been inflating steadily!!

Nevertheless, 87% is fantastic, and would surely represent first class work despite any inflation that may or may not have happened.
Reply 793
what is the square root of minus one?
What it says on the tin.

A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) what advice would you give to someone in becoming a computer science/math lecturer in the future. (If these are not your fields then feel free to forward the advice to your field and I'll link it :biggrin: )

2) do universities place a lot of pressure on lecturers when it comes to student feedback? For example, if a couple of students file a report on you, would the university flame you right away? (In other words, how stable is the job of a lecturer)

3) finally, and I understand its personal so you may chose to not answer :biggrin: , on average, how much does a university lecturer make a year once he starts his career? Mid way his career? (In other words, how does the salary progress with experience). Feel free to ignore this one if you think its too personal :smile:

Thanks!
Original post by Kyx

The right question to ask is what's the square root of square root minus 1 :wink:
Reply 796
Original post by AspiringCompSci
The right question to ask is what's the square root of square root minus 1 :wink:

:giggle:
Original post by Kyx

i know
Reply 798
i know

:toofunny:
Original post by AspiringCompSci
A couple of questions if you don't mind.

1) what advice would you give to someone in becoming a computer science/math lecturer in the future. (If these are not your fields then feel free to forward the advice to your field and I'll link it :biggrin: )

What stage are you at now? The basics would be: go to the best university you can. Get a 1st. Get as much research assistant experience as you can. Write some apps or whatever it is that comp scis do!

Then do a PhD (maybe a Masters first). Do some postdocs. Publish as many papers as you can. If you're lucky / talented, you might get a lecturing job. I'm not sure about specific advice for these fields but this is the general pattern in science.

2) do universities place a lot of pressure on lecturers when it comes to student feedback? For example, if a couple of students file a report on you, would the university flame you right away? (In other words, how stable is the job of a lecturer)

There is a lot of emphasis on student feedback now. This is good, as the point of our jobs is to teach them! But you do get ridiculous feedback - "the lecturer wouldn't tell us which questions were in the exam", "we have to remember all the stuff we're taught", "lectures are at 9 in the morning" etc. Hopefully we can distinguish between the useful and useless feedback.

The job is pretty stable though. You're more likely to be monitored and chastised for research performance, unless you are truly terrible at teaching.

3) finally, and I understand its personal so you may chose to not answer :biggrin: , on average, how much does a university lecturer make a year once he starts his career? Mid way his career? (In other words, how does the salary progress with experience). Feel free to ignore this one if you think its too personal :smile:

Most universities are signed up to the national pay scheme, which is googleable: http://www.ucu.org.uk/2218

A starting lecturer will typically be £31-37k, something like that. Mid career high 30s to high 40s, a professor 50-70k.

Latest