The Student Room Group

So how big is the jump from GCSE TO A level?

Is it possible to get good grades aswell as having a social life?
Reply 1
yes. just balance and moderation is needed.
Original post by RagaZ
yes. just balance and moderation is needed.

how many hours of revision per subject would you suggest, (excluding homework) per week to get decent grades?
Reply 3
Original post by Mohammed212
how many hours of revision per subject would you suggest, (excluding homework) per week to get decent grades?

General rule of thumb is to do 1hour extra at home than your lessons at school. (if that makes sense)

So if on Monday i have 1hour of chemistry at school. Id go home and do a further hour of chemistry. sometimes do more depending on the day.

besides, i used to chill and go out with friends mainly on fridays and the weekend.

Weekdays are for school and studying--> weekends are for the partys and chilling. :smile:

It seemed to work for me as i ended with AABB at AS
Reply 4
The size of the jump really depends on the subject, there's obviously a difference in all subjects but the jump is much bigger in some that others. For example, I found the jump from GCSE to A level for English Literature extremely challenging as there was so much more you were expected to do and an A* worthy answer at GCSE was now worth only a C at A level! However I found there to be relatively little jump in Geography, with methods and procedures for the exam being pretty much the same as at GCSE.

Overall though, the people who come up with the syllabuses don't want you to fail and so aren't making A level subjects deliberately so hard that they're impossible, they are just going to require extra time and effort put into them. It will definitely take some getting used to for a few weeks, but it's manageable and you can always ask your teachers for help if needed! :smile:
Reply 5
I thought it was huge! The biggest thing is that you become more independent as a learner and have to learn better study skills.
Original post by Mohammed212
Is it possible to get good grades aswell as having a social life?

The Editorial Team should be making an article on this subject within the next few days which you may find useful to look out for!
The jump really depends on subject; for example, Maths and English Literature is a huge jump, whereas History in my opinion was barely a jump at all. However, expect the jump to be quite high. It is possible to do well whilst having a social life, though harder than it was at GCSE. My tip would be to do as much homework and revision as you can at your Sixth Form so you don't have to as much as home, so you can have time to relax and hang out with friends.

Quick Reply

Latest