The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by camd1997
The bit that starts 'hence we see the desired integral equals...'
In the range log2kx<log2(k+1)\log_2 k \leq x < \log_2 ( k+1) the integrand (2x\lfloor 2^x \rfloor) = k.

So log2klog2(k+1)2xdx=log2klog2(k+1)kdx=k(log2(k+1)log2k)\displaystyle \int_{\log_2 k}^{\log_2 ( k+1)} \lfloor 2^x \rfloor \,dx = \int_{\log_2 k}^{\log_2 (k+1)} k \,dx = k ( {\log_2 (k+1)} - \log_2 k).

Then add up the integrals for k = 1, 2, ..., 2^n - 1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Will Imperial look for a similar MAT score as oxford does, or lower? eg. if oxford was looking for say, 65, what do you think Imperial would want? Thanks
Original post by iPixelBlue
Will Imperial look for a similar MAT score as oxford does, or lower? eg. if oxford was looking for say, 65, what do you think Imperial would want? Thanks

It is impossible to a numerical estimate, only that it would be lower, perhaps by a fair degree. Again, I refer back to what the head of maths admissions said at the open day, they made an offer to someone in the low 40s, yet the average was 44.8.
Original post by DomStaff
I was under the impression their STEP offers were subject to a borderline MAT performance? I'm sure their usual is A*A*A, same as Cambridge?

Not usually, I don't think.

ah. no but theyre known for giving hard offers thats probably why they gve 700 offers for around 250 places cause they know most people wont make them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iPixelBlue

most likely lower. They look at the whole profile too. If they had doubt they call for interview.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DFranklin
In the range log2kx<log2(k+1)\log_2 k \leq x < \log_2 ( k+1) the integrand (2x\lfloor 2^x \rfloor) = k.

So log2klog2(k+1)2xdx=log2klog2(k+1)kdx=k(log2(k+1)log2k)\displaystyle \int_{\log_2 k}^{\log_2 ( k+1)} \lfloor 2^x \rfloor \,dx = \int_{\log_2 k}^{\log_2 (k+1)} k \,dx = k ( {\log_2 (k+1)} - \log_2 k).

Then add up the integrals for k = 1, 2, ..., 2^n - 1.

Thank you! I understand now, just a bit worried that I wouldn't have thought of that in the exam.
Reply 386
Guys! quick question, in exam situation how are we meant to draw the sin(x)/x graph (referrnig to the 2010 paper question 3 part ii) it just gave me some trouble
Don't get complacent people, someone just told me they know someone who got 88 in mat and was rejected from imperial!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by arun96
Guys! quick question, in exam situation how are we meant to draw the sin(x)/x graph (referrnig to the 2010 paper question 3 part ii) it just gave me some trouble

Look at critical values see what happens when x=0 and when x tends to infinity. This applies to pretty much all graph sketching!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Don't get complacent people, someone just told me they know someone who got 88 in mat and was rejected from imperial!I don't see that people should worry about this right now. Clearly the the MAT score was not the issue (and so it is unlikely that anything they did in the MAT would have made much difference).
Look at critical values see what happens when x=0 and when x tends to infinity. This applies to pretty much all graph sketching!They explicitly say not to determine turning points.

In this case, I'd worry about behaviour when x = 0, x goes to infinity, and the points where y = 0.

I don't expect they will care that much about anything else here.
They explicitly say not to determine turning points.

In this case, I'd worry about behaviour when x = 0, x goes to infinity, and the points where y = 0. I don't expect they will care that much about anything else here.

I meant critical values such as pi/2 pi/3 etc do get a feeling if the graphs behaviour and shape

Posted from TSR Mobile
I meant critical values such as pi/2 pi/3 etc do get a feeling if the graphs behaviour and shapeThat's not a use of "critical values" I'm familiar with; from Wiki:

"A critical point or stationary point of a differentiable function of a single real variable, f(x), is a value x0 in the domain of f where its derivative is 0: f′(x0) = 0. A critical value is the image under f of a critical point."

(I kind of hate the term myself, to be honest).
Original post by DomStaff
It is impossible to a numerical estimate, only that it would be lower, perhaps by a fair degree. Again, I refer back to what the head of maths admissions said at the open day, they made an offer to someone in the low 40s, yet the average was 44.8.

Is that a typo? 44.8 being the average offer seems quite low! I thought it would be quite similar to Oxford's average, seeing as there would be loads of Cambridge and Oxford applicants applying to Imperial as well. No complaints though, that's a massive load off my shoulders! :biggrin:

Was the 44.8 the average applicant / offer holder / successful applicant?
Original post by arun96

Use L'Hopital's rule to work out at x=0, Sin(x)/x = 1, though obviously it's not = but lim as x->0.
That's not a use of "critical values" I'm familiar with; from Wiki:

"A critical point or stationary point of a differentiable function of a single real variable, f(x), is a value x0 in the domain of f where its derivative is 0: f′(x0) = 0. A critical value is the image under f of a critical point."

(I kind of hate the term myself, to be honest).

damn. u know what i mean now thoughz. but slowly the derivitive also becomes zero through observation of the groah.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rubiksnerd
Is that a typo? 44.8 being the average offer seems quite low! I thought it would be quite similar to Oxford's average, seeing as there would be loads of Cambridge and Oxford applicants applying to Imperial as well. No complaints though, that's a massive load off my shoulders! :biggrin:

Was the 44.8 the average applicant / offer holder / successful applicant?

average over all people who sat the paper. Average per auccessful applicant is around 70s and high 60s for 2010 paper and 2013 paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dugdugdug
Use L'Hopital's rule to work out at x=0, Sin(x)/x = 1, though obviously it's not = but lim as x->0.
In general, this is circular reasoning - you can't work out the derivative of sin(x) at x = 0 without already knowing that sin(x)/x -> 1 as x->0
Original post by dugdugdug

I thought you can't use L'Hopital's rule beacsue you start of by assuming it is true, and then come to the conclusion it is true. But that's not right? or is it.
ah. no but theyre known for giving hard offers thats probably why they gve 700 offers for around 250 places cause they know most people wont make them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it is more that a lot of people apply to Cambridge/Oxford and Imperial. Virtually every person who I've spoken to applying to one of the two is also applying to Imperial. The majority who get an offer from Oxbridge as well as Imperial will usually turn down Imperial and go to Oxbridge. Don't get me wrong, there will be people not meeting the offer, but I think the fact Imperial is a second-choice to Oxbridge has a bigger impact than you're considering.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending