The Student Room Group

MAT Revision

I am planning to apply to Oxford for maths which will require me to sit the MAT in October. I am wondering how much of the summer holidays I should spend revising/preparing for this. I have a one week work experience organised in August and am under significant family pressure to cancel it, despite it being acutely related to maths and statistics, so that I can instead devote 100% of my time to revision.

What should I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I am planning to apply to Oxford for maths which will require me to sit the MAT in October. I am wondering how much of the summer holidays I should spend revising/preparing for this. I have a one week work experience organised in August and am under significant family pressure to cancel it, despite it being acutely related to maths and statistics, so that I can instead devote 100% of my time to revision.

What should I do?

Begin by taking a look at the following helpful video made by Oxford Uni maths dept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3esQVND-_c4

Then take a look at https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/guide/admissions-tests/mat that has a lot of useful information.
This site also has lots of past papers to get an idea of the format and range of maths topics.
The usual rule of thumb is to practice 3 or 4 past papers under timed conditions. Most people show little further improvement by taking more than 4 past papers.
It's also important to take a break from revision so I would go with the one week work experience and factor in a couple of other breaks where you're doing something completely different.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

What should I do?

i know the holidays always go so fast but you can make time for everything. practice for the MAT, take the opportunities, have all the fun and don’t underestimate the importance of resting too. my son sat the MAT last year. he practiced regularly but certainly not all the time. i’m not good at maths myself but still enjoyed and recommend the MAT livestreams that the university runs on youtube. i think they start again in june but there are plenty of old ones for you to check out at your leisure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending