The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Maths, how likely for me?

How likely am I to receive an offer for Imperial Maths?

I applied for the Maths with Mathematical Computation degree but Maths and Computer Science for my other 4 choices so my personal statement was equal parts for both.
9988888765 GCSEs, A*A*A predicted for Maths, Further Maths & Physics.
In MAT, I scored 26/100 in the first test (major tech issues) then 7/10 in the second test.
Got shortlisted for Oxford but ended up rejected.
Not eligible for contextual offer but I go to a low-performing state school, if that helps.
Reply 1
Original post by Reezy0
How likely am I to receive an offer for Imperial Maths?

I applied for the Maths with Mathematical Computation degree but Maths and Computer Science for my other 4 choices so my personal statement was equal parts for both.
9988888765 GCSEs, A*A*A predicted for Maths, Further Maths & Physics.
In MAT, I scored 26/100 in the first test (major tech issues) then 7/10 in the second test.
Got shortlisted for Oxford but ended up rejected.
Not eligible for contextual offer but I go to a low-performing state school, if that helps.

Very hard to say. I mean A levels are fine and GCSEs are fine (What are the 5, 6 and 7 in?). I know about the issues with the MAT because my friend also applied to Oxford for Maths and just had a complete breakdown after the whole tech issues. I'd say that your second MAT score is good but your first MAT score (if indeed it is taken into account) is a bit on the low side.

I reckon, not because of how weak your application is, that you will have to sit the STEP, and this goes for all Imperial Maths applicants, because they can't really use that secondary MAT paper as a true differentiator of merit.

Also, I don't know how strong your personal statement is so I am unable to make a decision on it as well. I'd say that you should be in with a decent chance but by no means is it easy to say.

I applied for Computing at Imperial so if you did the same, I could have maybe asked you about if you have mentioned any interesting projects in your personal statement because Imperial like that, but because you are a Maths applicant, I'm not too sure about what I can ask you.

Have you done any Maths comps? Did you do the UKMT stuff? I did and got merit certificate in Senior Kangaroo but chose not to mention it because I had LOADS of CS related stuff so I chose to stick with that. Apparently (Idk because I didn't read it), my teachers mentioned it in my reference so it might have come in clutch but who knows?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by undefined
Very hard to say. I mean A levels are fine and GCSEs are fine (What are the 5, 6 and 7 in?). I know about the issues with the MAT because my friend also applied to Oxford for Maths and just had a complete breakdown after the whole tech issues. I'd say that your second MAT score is good but your first MAT score (if indeed it is taken into account) is a bit on the low side.

I reckon, not because of how weak your application is, that you will have to sit the STEP, and this goes for all Imperial Maths applicants, because they can't really use that secondary MAT paper as a true differentiator of merit.

Also, I don't know how strong your personal statement is so I am unable to make a decision on it as well. I'd say that you should be in with a decent chance but by no means is it easy to say.

I applied for Computing at Imperial so if you did the same, I could have maybe asked you about if you have mentioned any interesting projects in your personal statement because Imperial like that, but because you are a Maths applicant, I'm not too sure about what I can ask you.

Have you done any Maths comps? Did you do the UKMT stuff? I did and got merit certificate in Senior Kangaroo but chose not to mention it because I had LOADS of CS related stuff so I chose to stick with that. Apparently (Idk because I didn't read it), my teachers mentioned it in my reference so it might have come in clutch but who knows?

I got a 7 in Bio, 6 in History and 5 in Business.

I don't have any impressive maths comp awards to include but I have done programming competitions & projects. I mentioned my best ones in my personal statement (personal project webpage in React; £600 2nd place prize in hackathon) but they're not directly relevant to maths so I don't think that matters for this course.

To be honest, I applied for Imperial JMC as well but I haven't heard back. I feel confident in getting offers with my 4th and 5th choice because of their high offer rates (80% for Warwick DM, 50% for Bristol MCS) so I used my 3rd on Imperial MathComp to give myself two chances with Imperial. From the course structure, it's sort of like MCS but 75% on Maths and I don't mind that.

If I get a STEP offer I wouldn't mind that because I dropped my 4th A Level so I'd have more time to prepare for this exact thing. I just hope that I can get that offer in the first place, and not just get outright rejected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending