The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Rugzii
What is the best score to get on this paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

100?
Okay. So I just did 2013, and I totally remember why I felt like total **** leaving that exam last year ^^' I'm hoping the difficulty was an anomaly, maybe 2013 was some sort of anniversary and the tutors were expecting to find some sort of hidden talent??

I'm gonna be the optimist I am and expect a paper similar to 2012. But if it isn't, well, I guess I'll have fun at Warwick xD ...
Hi guys,

if you have a sequence where the nth term is the (n-1)th term multiplied by some constant a then added by another constant b, is there a way to write the nth term in terms of n?
Best of luck to everyone doing this :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Hi guys,

if you have a sequence where the nth term is the (n-1)th term multiplied by some constant a then added by another constant b, is there a way to write the nth term in terms of n?

For a sequence where the first term is 1, the common ratio is a, and the added constant is b, then you get this sequence:
a+b
a2+(a+1)b
a3+(a2+a+1)b
a4+(a3+a2+a+1)b
and so on.
So the nth term would be something like an-1+(Σnr=2(ar-2))b
There's probably something wrong with the coefficient of b, but I'm tired and I need to rest for tomorrow.
Why do you ask, anyway?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 585
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
For 5 (vi) I don't understand why.

Understand why what? If you're going to be so terse it's hard to know how to reply.
Original post by Karoel
I think it's the input to the function that confuses me, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it. In this example, does the dash in g'(x + 1) imply a derivative with respect to x or to x+1?

They also like asking questions like this one, but they're a bit more manageable. I think these ones are more about finding a general pattern.

With respect to x.

I found that question quite hard actually, and I couldn't come to an answer via mathematical methods. I had to use a bit of logical reasoning to see that there would be more +1 numbers than -1, but that the difference between them wouldn't exceed 50 (hence 28).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RichE
Understand why what? If you're going to be so terse it's hard to know how to reply.

Lol sorry, I meant, why turn it 90 degrees at all? Because I never would have thought of that.
Has anyone else done 2002 Q5?

I got i) a & c wrong. I looked at the solution DFranklin posted on the solutions thread, but I didn't understand his method/how he thought about it to come to that answer.

I am really not a fan of combinatorics or counting questions.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 589
Anyone else really not have a good feeling about this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would anyone mind explaining 2009 1h for me? I don't understand how they simplify the result from the trapezium rule, I thought it was a geometric series but I don't think I got the right result.
Reply 591
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
Lol sorry, I meant, why turn it 90 degrees at all? Because I never would have thought of that.

It's in the program. You do P_n and it moves you a certain vector, you then do a 90 degree turn and then do P_n again.
I shall sleep for 4 days and 3 nights after the MAT tomorrow.
Original post by Rrussell1
Would anyone mind explaining 2009 1h for me? I don't understand how they simplify the result from the trapezium rule, I thought it was a geometric series but I don't think I got the right result.

It is a geometric series. What is your last term?
Original post by M.green
Ok I don't mind if you reply me later, I can't find the largest value of Q in all of the parts

It is just the point that is a tangent of x+y=k, for the largest possible k. Obviously, this will be at (1/root2, 1/root2). Same applies for xy=k
Best of luck for everyone doing this tomorrow. :h:
I don't even know why I care about this exam so much, only doing it for Imperial not Oxford. Yet I have a strong desire to beat most Oxford applicants and get in the 90s...who says sports don't make you competitive?

Having said all this, with the current style of paper, 90s is rather improbable.
Everyone have a look at this post here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/announcement.php?f=373&a=1469

Do not discuss the exam until Thursday 5pm GMT. All you're going to do by talking about it before then is move up the boundaries for an interview and offer :lol:
Original post by DomStaff
I don't even know why I care about this exam so much, only doing it for Imperial not Oxford. Yet I have a strong desire to beat most Oxford applicants and get in the 90s...who says sports don't make you competitive?

Having said all this, with the current style of paper, 90s is rather improbable.

Yep cambridge>oxford we will show them how its done

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DomStaff

Don't be ridiculous, it's not that difficult to get 90 :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending