The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tiny hobbit
What makes Newblood think that the majority of Cambridge applicants would want to live/study in London?

Living in London is one of those situations that you would either love or hate. I know many Cambridge Mathmos who would not even consider living in London.

I'm not referring to living in london. I meant with regards to the quality of the departments as all of COWI are well renowned for their high quality mathematics courses. You have 5 places to choose from, so you do not necessarily have to go to Imperial if you apply. However, it seems (from both tsr and first hand experience) that many of those who apply to oxbridge for maths are also applying to warwick and imperial. So it seems reasonable to me that the majority of cambridge applicants will have selected Imperial as another choice.
Original post by cindy9723
Hi guys!!! I just realised I probably didn't tick the boxes at the front page to show which questions you have done. I emailed my school already, but they haven't replied. What should I do if I didn't tick it?

Don't worry. We'll check carefully that everything that you should have done is marked.

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
Don't worry. We'll check carefully that everything that you should have done is marked.

Gavin

Are you a 'MAT person'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 783
Original post by physicsmaths
Are you a 'MAT person'

Posted from TSR Mobile

He is a Compsci tutor
Anyone else applied for Computer Science? What are the cut-offs? Are they similar to the ones for the Mathematics Course or are they a bit on the lower side?
As a student in Singapore, I find the A-level paper much more tedious than the MAT... and much less interesting (I took MAT yesterday and A today...). I may have lost more marks in the former...
Reply 786
Original post by Jitesh07
Anyone else applied for Computer Science? What are the cut-offs? Are they similar to the ones for the Mathematics Course or are they a bit on the lower side?

Over the past years they've been about the same (as Galvin Lowe answered in one of his previous posts). Yet my impression was that this year's Compsci questions were slightly harder than 2013.

Are you applying for straight CS?
Original post by yz5267
Over the past years they've been about the same (as Galvin Lowe answered in one of his previous posts). Yet my impression was that this year's Compsci questions were slightly harder than 2013.

Are you applying for straight CS?

Yes, I am applying for CS (only).
Original post by gavinlowe

Gavin

Thank you very much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 789
When are we likely to hear about interviews and rejections for straight CS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, answers people....
Original post by CD223
When are we likely to hear about interviews and rejections for straight CS?

Posted from TSR Mobile

At about the same time as you are likely to hear about interviews and rejections for anything else. As far as I can tell, all the interviews take place at the same time.
Hey everyone :h: You're free to discuss all the nitty gritty details of the exam now. :h: :yy:

Thanks for your patience with this! :biggrin:

:woo:
Anyone remember the actual answers to the multiple choice
Was there an unofficial mark scheme last year?
Original post by Isaac3170
Anyone remember the actual answers to the multiple choice

Nope but that's because I guessed all of them!
Reply 796
What was the answer to tjhe binomial expansion mc?
Original post by Johff
What was the answer to tjhe binomial expansion mc?

I put the one with the 4 in front of the answer. I just let n=4 and expanded it all, not really the most mathematical way but if I gets me a place at oxford I won't be complaining
(edited 9 years ago)
any one remember if there is several consecutive answer c for MCQ?
Reply 799
I put nC3 x nC5

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending