The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gawain
What did you write to justify your answer? Induction was the first thing that popped to mind for me.

And yeah part iii is wrong, I think what I wrote a couple of posts up should be right though.

Instead of stating the formula, I just showed how I deduced it. Which is what they do in mark schemes. Induction is fine, just not required.

By the way, last part of 3. I don't know how MAT is marked, but you went from the thing you're meant to show to the thing you're told.

It says, given that I_n >= I, show...

Usually, you'd expect to use this fact to show the inequality they give. But, as I said, I don't know how they mark it.
Reply 981
Original post by DomStaff
Instead of stating the formula, I just showed how I deduced it. Which is what they do in mark schemes. Induction is fine, just not required.

By the way, last part of 3. I don't know how MAT is marked, but you went from the thing you're meant to show to the thing you're told.

It says, given that I_n >= I, show...

Usually, you'd expect to use this fact to show the inequality they give. But, as I said, I don't know how they mark it.

I should have used <=> (implies and implied by) throughout for that part. You can just as easily work backwards from what I wrote, I don't think you make any unjustified jumps.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Gawain
Did you get beta = pi/4 + alpha/2?

Ignore that part, I assumed that BD is bisected by AC which is wrong.

By considering the angles in AXD you know that pi=pi/2+beta+(beta-alpha) I think.

I got something of that form. :biggrin:
Right. 4 (iii)

Clearly, due to the fact ABC is isosceles, F=1/2 if angle AXB=pi/2 (as we are splitting an isosceles (ABC) into two congruent triangles). If this is true, then we can see the following:
AngleABX=π2α Angle ABX= \frac {\pi}{2} - \alpha
But, due to the fact ABD is isosceles, angleBAD=angleADB=βangle BAD=angle ADB=\beta, so clearly,
angleABD=angleABX=π2βangle ABD=angle ABX= \pi - 2\beta
π2β=π2α \Rightarrow \pi - 2\beta = \frac {\pi}{2} -\alpha
β=π+2α4 \Leftrightarrow \beta = \frac {\pi + 2\alpha}{4}
Original post by Gawain
These are the rough answers that I got if anyone wants to compare.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371127.369086.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371159.051320.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371174.219069.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371191.192705.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371200.354011.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1415371212.870319.jpg

I'm not too sure about my written explanations.

A lot of what I got matches your answers. Except for Q5, but I was a bit lost on that question tbh.
I find it so weird how my method was different to everyone else's on Q2.

I'm not sure which is better, probably everyone else's.

Polynomial divide, factor (x-1)
Last term of quotient is +(2b+1-a^2)
Equate to -b^2, blah blah blah, follows on to your method.

Second part, I think it was slightly quicker.
If it is a repeated root f'(1)=0, sub it in, you get (b+1)^2 +1 =0, which clearly isn't true for any b.

Last. Go back to polynomial division, look at the quotient.
x^2 + (2b+1)x + b^2 (modified after part (i)
take the discriminant, b^2's cancel, 4b+1=0.
Then same as yours.
This has really annoyed me, I should've put a bit more effort into Q4 (iv) and should've attempted (v), reckon I'd be comfortably in the 80s if I did.
This has really annoyed me, I should've put a bit more effort into Q4 (iv) and should've attempted (v), reckon I'd be comfortably in the 80s if I did.

I shudve done the end of 3 properly. I thought they wanted to derive that fp given the integral that's why I got stuck. F*** sake I think I've got into the 60/70s so I'm happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
I shudve done the end of 3 properly. I thought they wanted to derive that fp given the integral that's why I got stuck. F*** sake I think I've got into the 60/70s so I'm happy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done lad, more than enough for Imperial. This is just Cambridge interview prep, anyway :wink:

I'm estimating my mark to be about 80 atm.
As I'm guessing last part of 3 would be 5 marks.
Last 2 parts of 4 to be 8 marks.
Part iii of 5, probably 2 marks, but my description wasn't perfect so probs 1 mark for me.
part iv of 5, probably 3-4 marks. I gave the correct formula, but I think I may have messed up in calculating one of them haha, so deduct like 2 marks.
Then got 1 MC wrong (I didn't read C correctly, I didn't notice the 'minimum' part).
(edited 9 years ago)
Well done lad, more than enough for Imperial. This is just Cambridge interview prep, anyway :wink:

I'm estimating my mark to be about 80 atm.
As I'm guessing last part of 3 would be 5 marks.
Last 2 parts of 4 to be 8 marks.
Part iii of 5, probably 2 marks, but my description wasn't perfect so probs 1 mark for me.
part iv of 5, probably 3-4 marks. I gave the correct formula, but I think I may have messed up in calculating one of them haha, so deduct like 2 marks.
Then got 1 MC wrong (I didn't read C correctly, I didn't notice the 'minimum' part).

We'll done bro. You've done great. Let's bang the bmo now. I want atleast top 250 in uk this year. Even though I gt top 100 last year I think I was lucky haha.
Original post by physicsmaths
We'll done bro. You've done great. Let's bang the bmo now. I want atleast top 250 in uk this year. Even though I gt top 100 last year I think I was lucky haha.

If we are in it, that is. 96 is **** isn't it hahahaha, how did we flop so badly?! I don't know whether it's worth paying for me, I'm not very good!
Reply 991
Original post by DodoManiac
I kept putting 4b^2 instead of just 4 (or something like that) and couldn't see what was wrong. Gave me a massive shock knocked my confidence so I gave up on the rest if the question.. Probably cost over 10 marks! ������

I didn't read the question properly and ended up skipping it. I lost all 15 lol.
I presume a lot of people on this thread will be taking the MAT for just Oxford or Ox+Imp, rather than just for Imperial like me. How come you people chose Oxford over Cambridge, out of interest? I'm just wondering because I originally set my sights on Oxford in like year 11, then it slowly moved over to Cambridge throughout year 12 and that is where I've applied.
Reply 993
Original post by marcus01
What colleges are you all applying to? I'm applying to Wadham :smile:

I went for New :smile:. But I doubt i'll get in after that :frown:, i think I got aroud 40-50
I presume a lot of people on this thread will be taking the MAT for just Oxford or Ox+Imp, rather than just for Imperial like me. How come you people chose Oxford over Cambridge, out of interest? I'm just wondering because I originally set my sights on Oxford in like year 11, then it slowly moved over to Cambridge throughout year 12 and that is where I've applied.

because theyre scared of us cambridge-ers lol. Jk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge is ages away from where I live, whereas oxford is about 45 mins away. And also I'm taking enough exams in June, I can't be bothered with 2 step exams (although if I don't get into oxford, I'll firm warwick, which needs step anyway!)

My reason(s) for applying to Oxford was that I was on a gap year, found the MAT easy, didn't particularly want to have exams in the summer - so it made sense.

Or I could pretend I knew I was going to prefer pure options before I applied and how Oxford's course is more interesting if you predominantly do pure options :lol:
Original post by Noble.
My reason(s) for applying to Oxford was that I was on a gap year, found the MAT easy, didn't particularly want to have exams in the summer - so it made sense.

Or I could pretend I knew I was going to prefer pure options before I applied and how Oxford's course is more interesting if you predominantly do pure options :lol:

What sorts of things did you do on your gap year?
Original post by Gome44
What sorts of things did you do on your gap year?

Had a couple of jobs, went travelling, did no maths - so pretty standard.
Original post by Noble.
Had a couple of jobs, went travelling, did no maths - so pretty standard.

Nice one. Had you not forgotten all the maths you'd done when you got to oxford?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending