The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT Test - 5th Nov 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JacqJ
I got 84, which I'm really thankful for. My course is Mathematics and Computer Science so I got the nifty logic questions which I liked:biggrin:

flipping hell thats really high. Well done ! thats a crazy score! Did you apply to imperial aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1581
Original post by physicsmaths
flipping hell thats really high. Well done ! thats a crazy score! Did you apply to imperial aswell?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied to Imperial's math and Cs which didn't require the MAT, so only oxford got my scores. Thank you :colondollar: I wasn't expecting that score too. But all scores above 50 are applaudable, it's been a tough year!
Original post by jonathanyyt
So did you just send an email to the relevant admissions department and asked for the score?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to know your score, you should ask your college (not the department).

Gavin
Original post by gavinlowe
If you want to know your score, you should ask your college (not the department).

Gavin

Yeah that's what I meant, the admissions of the specific college.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I checked the Oxford MAT site randomly, and noticed that the paper, solutions, general admission feedback and statistics have now been uploaded. It seems that the difficulty of last year's paper was an anomaly, though I thought that this year's paper was of comparable difficulty.
Reply 1585
Original post by ThatPerson
I checked the Oxford MAT site randomly, and noticed that the paper, solutions, general admission feedback and statistics have now been uploaded. It seems that the difficulty of last year's paper was an anomaly, though I thought that this year's paper was of comparable difficulty.

Another interesting thing to note is how much higher the score is for accepted candidates. Suggests that even after shortlisting, they still look at the MAT to determine the offer.
2013 was a killer paper for sure.

you know what, i looked at the solutions and allocating of the marks and they were very generous like giving 5 marks to first part of q3 etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JacqJ
Another interesting thing to note is how much higher the score is for accepted candidates. Suggests that even after shortlisting, they still look at the MAT to determine the offer.

Or just that people who do better at the MAT tend to do better at interview.

Spoiler

Original post by JacqJ

Yes, but as shown in the bar chart, people with scores between 90-100 still didn't get an offer. I think the tutors would place more emphasis on the interview (as they will be teaching you for 3+ years), and use the MAT to cut down the massive number of applicants. But as said before, someone who does well on the mat is likely to do well in the interview
Wow oxford admissions are ridiculous rejecting that many people with a MAT score of 90-100.

That is outrageous...they literally do just go off of interviews to decide offers. Clearly for a subject like maths, this is ludicrous. Tutors taking people they like instead of those who are better at maths.

As someone who held an offer for oxford maths last year and rejected it to go to MIT, I have to say i really have no faith in the system.
Original post by FanaticEV
Wow oxford admissions are ridiculous rejecting that many people with a MAT score of 90-100.

That is outrageous...they literally do just go off of interviews to decide offers. Clearly for a subject like maths, this is ludicrous. Tutors taking people they like instead of those who are better at maths.

As someone who held an offer for oxford maths last year and rejected it to go to MIT, I have to say i really have no faith in the system.

I do agree with you that they shouldn't have rejected as many people as they did with scores of 90-100, but I think the interviews are emphasised because the tutorial system is such a big part of Oxford. The tutors rejecting these candidates with good MAT scores may feel that the candidate would not suit this tutorial system, after all, they will likely teach them for 2+ years. Remember also that the MAT has a multichoice aspect, so those with 90-100 may have guessed some of the answers and got them correct

You went to MIT?? That's so cool, what's it like?
Original post by Gome44
I do agree with you that they shouldn't have rejected as many people as they did with scores of 90-100, but I think the interviews are emphasised because the tutorial system is such a big part of Oxford. The tutors rejecting these candidates with good MAT scores may feel that the candidate would not suit this tutorial system, after all, they will likely teach them for 2+ years. Remember also that the MAT has a multichoice aspect, so those with 90-100 may have guessed some of the answers and got them correct

I think getting 80+ demonstrates clear mathematical ability even if you did guess a couple of questions. I wonder why those people didn't get an offer. Either they failed the interview spectacularly, turned up high, or withdrew their application.

Original post by Gome44
I think getting 80+ demonstrates clear mathematical ability even if you did guess a couple of questions. I wonder why those people didn't get an offer. Either they failed the interview spectacularly, turned up high, or withdrew their application.

To be fair, the vast majority of those achieving 90-100 were accepted.

A couple of other options:
- People who are great at tests, but didn't respond well in a interview scenario (interviews mimic the key teaching style, the tutorial). There are people who might learn better in other ways. This could include international students without a good level of English.
- People whose interviews weren't nearly as good as their MAT suggests, perhaps implying they cheated on the test.
Original post by fluteflute
To be fair, the vast majority of those achieving 90-100 were accepted.

A couple of other options:
- People who are great at tests, but didn't respond well in a interview scenario (interviews mimic the key teaching style, the tutorial). There are people who might learn better in other ways. This could include international students without a good level of English.
- People whose interviews weren't nearly as good as their MAT suggests, perhaps implying they cheated on the test.

how could you cheat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
how could you cheat?
The way the MAT is administered has tightened up a bit lately, but with a school's co-operation it would be very easy. e.g. giving a candidate much more time. Or even assisting them with answers.

I've heard rumours that it seems to happen in some countries.
Original post by fluteflute
The way the MAT is administered has tightened up a bit lately, but with a school's co-operation it would be very easy. e.g. giving a candidate much more time. Or even assisting them with answers.

I've heard rumours that it seems to happen in some countries.

damn, wish i was an international now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys

I just received feedback. I got a score of 63 which was 263rd (joint) out of all candidates (but I prefer to think of it as joint 38th :tongue:. There are 270 places in total.

At my (ex-)college, St. John's., there were 126 applications, 10 offers made by St. John's, and a further 16 made by other colleges. Not sure how useful this is. Not very by my assessment.
Original post by GorlimtheUnhappy
Hey guys

I just received feedback. I got a score of 63 which was 263rd (joint) out of all candidates (but I prefer to think of it as joint 38th :tongue:. There are 270 places in total.

At my (ex-)college, St. John's., there were 126 applications, 10 offers made by St. John's, and a further 16 made by other colleges. Not sure how useful this is. Not very by my assessment.

Did you apply to Imperial too- have you got an offer already?
I find it interesting that on the CS report from 2015 it is mentioned that two candidates were offered places for straight Maths, I though that Maths was the only quality sought in CS applicants. Did you get in Gorlim? That's a good score :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending