The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

anyone who don't like drinking/clubbing - southampton freshers2014

hey guys...I am not an outgoing person and don't drink at all but I would love to make new friends at uni...I sometimes feel as if I will be left out if I don't go out that much...can anyone advise me what to do in freshers week and how to make myself feel a bit better...any help would be appreciated! thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
We should meet or something haha. I'm in a similar situation; I hate drinking and clubbing too..
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Omg really??? I can't tell u how happy I am!..I finally found someone like me...I thought its just me who don't like this stuff...which course will u be doing at uni of Southampton? ?...which halls of residence r u going to be in??? Have u got any of the masterpasses??...hahaha seems like I have asked so manh qs but I am glad that I am nt the odd one out!
Reply 3
I'm not really a fan of going out clubbing and such, but I bought the outgoing master-pass to give it shot anyway. I'd only be cooped up in my room reading a book otherwise. I'm determined to be a bit more extroverted at uni!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I knw what u mean....I haven't bought any of the passes yet coz I contacted student union and apparently they will be releasing tickets and I would prefer to buy individual tickets :smile:...btw where r u from? Which course will u be doing at uni? :wink:
Reply 5
Yeah, I was thinking about that but I thought it was easier to just have one ticket, plus it would force me to go out a bit more :tongue: I'm from Horley and I'm staying at monte 1. I'm doing electrical and electronic engineering with foundation year, what about you? :smile:
Reply 6
Hi guys....I am starting my course with university of Southampton as well on October. I am glad to hear there are some students share my situation lol..... apparently our uni students are really active :wink:
I feel exactly the same
I really want to meet people, but don't drink or club or whatever
I an studying economics and politics, at mayflower halls, no master passes, I would prefer to go to a hand full of things I think I'll enjoy, so individual tickets make sense

It would be cool to get together with people who feel the same way

Perhaps we could organise something we can do as a collective on this thread? If so that would be awesome
Reply 8
I'd love that! I'm also staying at mayflower halls, studying maths with computer science and got no passes.
Reply 9
hello everyone! I will be doing psychology at uni and I am staying at glen eyre halls ...I wanted to go to mayflower halls but its way too expensive...btw I loved the idea that we should plan something together...what abt making a group on fb or something if u guys use it...:smile:...p.s when r u guys moving In to ur halls?? I am moving in on 21st!
Reply 10
Original post by Juan84
Hi guys....I am starting my course with university of Southampton as well on October. I am glad to hear there are some students share my situation lol..... apparently our uni students are really active :wink:

hahaha I totally agree wid u!!!
Reply 11
Oh my, it's nice to see a thread like this actually!
I'm not the most outgoing person either, and I'm debating buying an easygoing masterpass (simply because it might help in meeting people when starting Uni--), haven't actually decided if I should yet though. But anyway, not the biggest fan of drinking or clubbing here either.
I'll be studying psychology, and I'm staying in South Hill, which is on the Glen Eyre grounds!

It's nice to meet you all too...! If it ends up being planned, I wouldn't mind meeting with a few people of a similar mindset here-!
Reply 12
Original post by Kuroha
Oh my, it's nice to see a thread like this actually!
I'm not the most outgoing person either, and I'm debating buying an easygoing masterpass (simply because it might help in meeting people when starting Uni--), haven't actually decided if I should yet though. But anyway, not the biggest fan of drinking or clubbing here either.

yayyyy finally found someone on my course! I am also debating abt masterpass...idk if I should get it or nt...but even If I get one I would prefer easygoing :smile:...I will be staying at Jellicoe court (glen eyre) :wink:...I think we should definitely make a group or something on fb as it will help us to get to knw each other...also, have u chosen ur optional modules?? I am so confused abt it :frown:...how do u get to knw if the opt module that u r choosing doesn't clash wid the timetable (I hope u get what I mean)!...anyways I would love to meet u all..now I am excited abt uni whereas b4 I was thinkig that I am a weirdo as ppl in my halls actually like drinking a lot (I assumed from the convo!! :P)
Reply 13
Original post by rex566
yayyyy finally found someone on my course! I am also debating abt masterpass...idk if I should get it or nt...but even If I get one I would prefer easygoing :smile:...I will be staying at Jellicoe court (glen eyre) :wink:...I think we should definitely make a group or something on fb as it will help us to get to knw each other...also, have u chosen ur optional modules?? I am so confused abt it :frown:...how do u get to knw if the opt module that u r choosing doesn't clash wid the timetable (I hope u get what I mean)!...anyways I would love to meet u all..now I am excited abt uni whereas b4 I was thinkig that I am a weirdo as ppl in my halls actually like drinking a lot (I assumed from the convo!! :P)

Yes, hello!! Are you looking forward to starting Psychology? :biggrin: I think getting an easygoing masterpass would be a decent idea, that's what I'm swaying towards at the moment. At least it'll give things to do for a while, and it's not like it's bad value for money or anything. A facebook group definitely sounds like a good idea though, if anyone can set something like that up (I'm a bit useless when it comes to facebook :') )
Ah, I'm currently considering my optional modules, I have to read up on them a bit more but I'm thinking of going for the criminology one for the first semester, but I'm completely torn for the second. I think what you do is choose a module that you would definitely like to do, then one as a reserve option. That way they can work in what one won't clash with the timetable? I don't believe you know if they clash before choosing. I'm guessing that if both options clash they'll tell you so something can be worked out.
It would be awesome to meet you all...!! I totally agree that it's a bit of a weight off my shoulders to see others like this, it seems like a lot of people were going to go out partying. This is definitely making Uni seem a little less daunting~
This is really awesome
I assume most of us will be arriving on the weekend of the 20th, perhaps we could settle in a bit and all meet up for our own event on one of the weekdays? Monday or tuesday perhaps? I am not sure how the fresher's itinerary works but that should be okay

Facebook group as in group chat? That sounds a good idea
Reply 15
Hey guys this thread is really useful! I thought i was the only one who wasn't a great fan of clubbing
I was just wondering if any of you were considering going to the Freshers Ball it is 25 pounds, I too am waiting for individual tickets to go on sale.
Hey guys! Same here I am not getting the masterpass or the easygoing pass and might buy only a few tickets for certain events.
Original post by Mr Lebowski
This is really awesome
I assume most of us will be arriving on the weekend of the 20th, perhaps we could settle in a bit and all meet up for our own event on one of the weekdays? Monday or tuesday perhaps? I am not sure how the fresher's itinerary works but that should be okay

Facebook group as in group chat? That sounds a good idea

Sounds nice :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Kuroha
Yes, hello!! Are you looking forward to starting Psychology? :biggrin: I think getting an easygoing masterpass would be a decent idea, that's what I'm swaying towards at the moment. At least it'll give things to do for a while, and it's not like it's bad value for money or anything. A facebook group definitely sounds like a good idea though, if anyone can set something like that up (I'm a bit useless when it comes to facebook :') )
Ah, I'm currently considering my optional modules, I have to read up on them a bit more but I'm thinking of going for the criminology one for the first semester, but I'm completely torn for the second. I think what you do is choose a module that you would definitely like to do, then one as a reserve option. That way they can work in what one won't clash with the timetable? I don't believe you know if they clash before choosing. I'm guessing that if both options clash they'll tell you so something can be worked out.
It would be awesome to meet you all...!! I totally agree that it's a bit of a weight off my shoulders to see others like this, it seems like a lot of people were going to go out partying. This is definitely making Uni seem a little less daunting~

hey I am actually quite looking forward to study my fav subject :biggrin:...anyways thanx a lot for ur help with opt modules...dw I will set everything up on fb...:biggrin:...I will private msg u here to get to knw ur email address/user name coz this is an open forum :smile: and definitely it feels less daunting now...also, I looked @ d timetable of easygoing masterpass and outgoing masterpass and I still can't decide should I get it or nt...I really wanna meet and be friends wid other ppl...idk I am so confused !
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
hello everyone!! when I first created this thread, I expected no reply honestly but it feels so good when u find out that there r other ppl like u out there! anyways it would be great if u guys can private msg me here to tell me ur username/email address so that we can add each other on fb and then we will be able to start a group chat and plan something! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending