The Student Room Group

Not drinking in student life

I've never drank alcohol and going to pubs/nightclubs is not my scene,so why if you don't drink alcohol and you don't go to pubs/ nightclubs your rejected by the other people in your class
personally, i've found that going to pubs is more for the social experience - you can go without involving drink. things like pub quizzes, society socials etc are normally hosted there as they are favourable locations by the majority. but if it's a drinking social then I know that I certainly wouldn't go. as for clubs you're either into it or not; don't let anyone pressure you into doing that.

I would propose alternatives that suit your personal taste rather than just saying that you don't go to things - a lot of uni life is about getting yourself out there and if you're not comfortable doing it in the more conventional way of clubbing (which I didn't do) then that is fine, but people won't know what you're into if you don't say what you do like! do you like going to concerts, or small gigs, or cafes or going on walks etc. I understand that it is hard trying to make friends in your classes if you don't really like doing that kind of thing, but if you've just started uni then it's best to let people know what you actually like doing so that they can include you in things and you can ask them whether they want to join you doing certain things (for example I prefer concerts/gigs to clubs so I propose those instead - and I don't drink but my friends might have one or two). just don't feel like you have to do anything that you don't want to do!
Reply 2
University has many was to meet like minded folk so don’t worry. Not all your course/house mates will be drunken party animals and even if they are there are plenty of societies where the focus is not on drinking
Original post by Rejectedmale
I've never drank alcohol and going to pubs/nightclubs is not my scene,so why if you don't drink alcohol and you don't go to pubs/ nightclubs your rejected by the other people in your class

Hi there

I know that you may feel left out by not drinking or going clubbing at University, but you really should not have to be bothered by this. University students come from a diverse background, meaning they will have different lifestyles and habits. I personally do not drink nor club, I have been able to meet friends with similar cultures and personalities.

You could always try meeting people through societies or your course. There is no pressure to drink/ club, so don't do anything you are not comfortable with. I am sure you will be able to find your group of friends. University is also about figuring out what is for you and what isn't. Try joining societies, it is a good chance to meet people with similar hobbies. It is also a good chance to try out new activities and develop new interests. :smile:

I hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous
personally, i've found that going to pubs is more for the social experience - you can go without involving drink. things like pub quizzes, society socials etc are normally hosted there as they are favourable locations by the majority. but if it's a drinking social then I know that I certainly wouldn't go. as for clubs you're either into it or not; don't let anyone pressure you into doing that.

I would propose alternatives that suit your personal taste rather than just saying that you don't go to things - a lot of uni life is about getting yourself out there and if you're not comfortable doing it in the more conventional way of clubbing (which I didn't do) then that is fine, but people won't know what you're into if you don't say what you do like! do you like going to concerts, or small gigs, or cafes or going on walks etc. I understand that it is hard trying to make friends in your classes if you don't really like doing that kind of thing, but if you've just started uni then it's best to let people know what you actually like doing so that they can include you in things and you can ask them whether they want to join you doing certain things (for example I prefer concerts/gigs to clubs so I propose those instead - and I don't drink but my friends might have one or two). just don't feel like you have to do anything that you don't want to do!

PRSOM
Hi there,

When it comes to university life, it definitely has a reputation for alcohol and club scenes. However, the best part about it is that you can make it your own experience!

There are lots of ways to get into the social side without drinking. Joining interesting societies is a great way of meeting people and you'll most likely find lots more people like you who prefer other activities. Don't feel like you will be the only one, there will be many people who also don't drink or club etc.

University experience can be however you want to make it so don't feel pressured or like you should be doing one thing or another. Meet new people on your course, or through clubs etc and propose other ideas that don't involve the pub scene and you'll make lots of new friends :smile:

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Hi there,

I was in a similar situation as yourself when I started uni.

I'm also not a big fan of drinking or clubbing so at first it was difficult to do anything social or meet new people as it felt as if the only way others wish to socialize is through alcohol and going to nightclubs, which is also fair as we all have different preferences.

However, believe me there are so many people at your university who also prefer not to drink or go to pubs like yourself, so eventually you will find them and build new friendships.

If your current friend group rejects or judges you for not drinking, they are not the right people for you and I would recommend not spending anymore time with them.

Remember classes just started so you still have time to try new things and meet new people.

I hope I managed to help!

Best of luck,
Melanie
LSBU Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending