The Student Room Group

How long are your A level lessons (sixth form vs. college?)

Scroll to see replies

My lessons for each subject throughout the week were 3 one hour lessons, one double period so 2 hour lesson and one 45 minute lesson. I couldn't have sat and concentrated for longer than 2 hours on one subject!
They are all doubles so 1hr 40 mins each. Long, but I am used to it now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
At my college each lesson is an hour and 25 minutes and I have three lessons of each subject a week. I have 8 free periods a week :smile:
Reply 23
My college has lesson 1 hour 15 mins long - and all 4 subjects everyday. I generally have a free period every day (except Tuesday) and 45 mins for lunch. I find they're just long enough before you get to the "oh my god I'm gonna die if I stay here any longer" phase.
Reply 24
When I was in sixth form, 1 lesson was either 45 or 55 minutes, and a double lesson was about 1 and a half hours. I'd guess that sixth form lessons are shorter as they need to fit around the lessons for the lower school in terms of teacher allocation and room changes. Whereas colleges will obviously focus on 2 year groups.
Reply 25
Sixth form - 1 hour 15 min. Officially it's two separate periods but all the lessons are doubles.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
When I was at college it was 1hr lessons but some science and sport had doubles (for practicals) the 6th followed the school and had 35minute singles and 1hr10 doubles.
Reply 27
at our sixth form each period is 1 hour long, most subjects will have two doubles per week, although they might be with different teachers or one might be a study period. its generally 5 hours of teaching lessons per week and one study period for four a levels, much more independent study for three a levels
40 minutes each.

For Double Maths, I have:
5 Doubles
4 Singles

Physics:
3 Doubles
2 Singles

Economics:
3 Doubles
2 Singles

Yeah our sessions are fairly short. I can’t imagine 3 hour sessions

Quick Reply