The Student Room Group

what's the difference in sixth form and college?

title
This is a generalisation as there are exceptions to the rule, but mostly:

Sixth form colleges are attached to high schools. They largely offer A-Levels. Uniforms are sometimes worn, and it's basically a continuation of high school in the sense that it can be quite rigid with rules, such as not being allowed off site during free periods. It's for ages 16-19.

College is kind of the polar opposite. Colleges generally offer BTECs rather than A-Levels, and although many students are 16-19, there are also many much older students. There aren't usually uniforms, and between lesson times you can come and go as you please.

Sixth-form colleges are in between the two. They focus mostly on providing A-Levels, but there are no uniforms and students don't have to remain on site during free periods. There may be assemblies though, or compulsory PTE lessons.

As I say, every establishment differs. Some sixth-form colleges will also offer a small range of BTECs or T-Levels but their main focus will be A-Levels. Similarly there may be a small range of A-Levels offered by colleges. In addition, one or two college BTEC courses may require uniforms. So there's a bit of leeway there.
A sixth form is often attached to a school and often have a uniform or a dress code like you must wear a suit they often only offer A-levels and you might have restrictions like you might not be allowed to come and go as you please.

A sixth form collage often shortened to collage is different. the biggest difference is they will often offer a larger range of subjects than a school sixth form they'll also offer a range of courses A-level T-level BTEC IB and some even offer NVQ's and apprenticeships. The approach is very different you'll often call your "teachers" (for want of a better word) by their first name in stead of Mr X or Mrs Y and you wouldn't call them sir or miss either. the is no uniform at all for the most part people just wear whatever is comfortable like at a uni also if you don't have a lesson or lab you don't have to be there. people usually just leave or go into town if they have no lessons while that is fine it did mean that it ended with a whimper rather than the explosion I expected at least saying good bye to people would have been nice but I just left at the end. I mean I saw them all at results day (I actually have a funny story about my brothers mate then if you ask I'll post it) some collages also offer university level courses too like reading collage mostly (HND'and HNC'S are run at collages instead of in university for some reason too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending