The Student Room Group

Maths question

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by davros
Your aim is to split what's inside the surd into factors - ideally you want to find a factor that is a square number because then you can take a whole number factor outside the root sign to simplify it.

But do they have to be the same number if you want to simplify. For example: 2root5+4root5 is 7root5 but you can't add together 2root5 and 3root7 because the number in the root isn't the same? At least, that's my understanding.
Reply 21
Original post by Year11guy
But do they have to be the same number if you want to simplify. For example: 2root5+4root5 is 7root5 but you can't add together 2root5 and 3root7 because the number in the root isn't the same? At least, that's my understanding.

That's quite correct - you want to simplify each term as much as possible, and then hopefully you can combine one or more of them at the end. Sometimes it will be possible to combine all of them; other times you won't be able to :smile:

EDIT: I think you meant 6root6 in your example :smile:
Reply 22
√20=√4x5=2 √5
2√45=2√9x5=6√5
√80=√16x5=4√5
Therefore ,answer is 4√5
Reply 23
Original post by bobby000
√20=√4x5=2 √5
2√45=2√9x5=6√5
√80=√16x5=4√5
Therefore ,answer is 4√5

I think the OP's got it now, but please don't post full solutions in future - it's against the forum rules :smile:
Original post by davros
I think the OP's got it now, but please don't post full solutions in future - it's against the forum rules :smile:

So we have to lead them on to the answer? Like giving just the next step or giving an example? Or can we link to Wolfram too? :wink:
Reply 25
Original post by sarcasmrules
So we have to lead them on to the answer? Like giving just the next step or giving an example? Or can we link to Wolfram too? :wink:

You can:
give them hints / suggestions of things to try
ask them what they think the first/next step should be
give them an example using different numbers
ask them where they're stuck / what they've tried / can they show some working

(You could link them to Wolfram, but all that will do is let them calculate the answer, it won't help them to understand what's going on!)

Generally, if you give someone a full solution they just end up getting the answer to that one question, and you've no idea whether they've really understood or not, or fixed any misconceptions they may have :smile:
Original post by davros
You can:
give them hints / suggestions of things to try
ask them what they think the first/next step should be
give them an example using different numbers
ask them where they're stuck / what they've tried / can they show some working

(You could link them to Wolfram, but all that will do is let them calculate the answer, it won't help them to understand what's going on!)

Generally, if you give someone a full solution they just end up getting the answer to that one question, and you've no idea whether they've really understood or not, or fixed any misconceptions they may have :smile:

Ah okay, I'll keep this in mind. It'll also be useful for me when helping out at maths workshop in college. Thanks :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Mr M
It is Core 1 material.

Is C1 supposed to be the easiest? Or is it equally as easy as C2 just non calculator equivalant?
Is C1 supposed to be the easiest? Or is it equally as easy as C2 just non calculator equivalant?

They are supposed to be the same level but most people would agree C1 is easier as the material is largely already familiar.
Reply 29
Original post by Mr M
They are supposed to be the same level but most people would agree C1 is easier as the material is largely already familiar.

I did an Additional Maths FSMQ. Would C2 be similar to that?

It is GCSE revisited really.
I did an Additional Maths FSMQ. Would C2 be similar to that?

They are both Level 3 qualifications.

Quick Reply

Latest