The Student Room Group

Maths A level Question

Hi,

What is your answer to this question....

Find the set of values of x for which: X2 - 9X < 36

I found it to be..

X2 - 9X - 36 < 0
X2 +3X - 12X - 36 < 0
X(X+3)-12(X+3) < 0
(X+3)(X-12) < 0
X=-3 X=12
-3<X<12

Many thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GRE60R
Hi,

What is your answer to this question....

Find the set of values of x for which: X2 - 9X < 36

I found it to be..

X2 - 9X - 36 < 0
X2 +3X - 12X - 36 < 0
X(X+3)-12(X+3) < 0
(X+3)(X-12) < 0
X=-3 X=12
-3<X<12

Many thanks

Moved this to maths for you :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by GRE60R
x

You've missed an answer, probably because you didn't understand what you did when going from (x+3)(x-12)<0 to -3<x<12. (This is why it's good to get into the habit of explaining your work as you go along)

Note that ab<0 implies a,b have different signs, i.e. a<0 and b>0 or a>0 and b<0. So with a=x+3 and b=x-12 we have either:
1) x+3<0 and x-12>0 which leads to x<-3 and x>12.
2) x+3>0 and x-12<0 which leads to your answer.
Original post by arkanm
You've missed an answer, probably because you didn't understand what you did when going from (x+3)(x-12)<0 to -3<x<12. (This is why it's good to get into the habit of explaining your work as you go along)

Note that ab<0 implies a,b have different signs, i.e. a<0 and b>0 or a>0 and b<0. So with a=x+3 and b=x-12 we have either:
1) x+3<0 and x-12>0 which leads to x<-3 and x>12.
2) x+3>0 and x-12<0 which leads to your answer.

No, the function is greater than zero for values of x less than -3 or greater than 12 so your first answer is incorrect. The OP did it right in the first place.
Reply 4
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
No, the function is greater than zero for values of x less than -3 or greater than 12 so your first answer is incorrect. The OP did it right in the first place.

I stand corrected. Wasn't concentrating there, sorry. The reason it doesn't work is because they can't hold simultaneously as I erroneously assumed at first (hence why I said "x<-3 AND x>12", which is absurd), so you won't have x+3,x-12 having different signs and so (x+3)(x-12)>0.
Reply 5
Original post by arkanm
I stand corrected. Wasn't concentrating there, sorry. The reason it doesn't work is because they can't hold simultaneously as I erroneously assumed at first (hence why I said "x<-3 AND x>12", which is absurd), so you won't have x+3,x-12 having different signs and so (x+3)(x-12)>0.

You was correct, because you solved the inequality algebrically using logical statments
(a>0, b<0 ....) and logical functions (AND, OR)
As you wrote there is 2 cases
In every case you have to solve an inequality system simoultaneously, Every
solution of an ineguality is a real interval. THe solution for the system with
2 inequalities will be the intersection of the two real intervals (there is logical AND between the inequalities)
So. 1. x+3<0 AND x-12>0
x<-3 1st interval AND
x>12 2nd interval
The intersection is null set that is there is no solution here
OR
2. x+3>0 AND x-12<0
x>-3 1st interval (]-3; +infinity[) AND
x<12 2nd interval
The intersection is -3<x<12

The full solution is the UNION of two cases but there is solution in the 2nd case only, so
this willl be -3<x<12

THat is another method when using (drawing) graph you read down that
for what x value will be the function negative.
Reply 6
Hi,

To clarify what have i got wrong because i answered the question above exactly as shown however, i did not receive full marks. what am i missing?

Many thanks
Original post by arkanm

I originally read your answer as x<-3 OR x>12 so you weren't as wrong as I thought. :tongue:

Original post by ztibor
You was correct, because you solved the inequality algebrically using logical statments
(a>0, b<0 ....) and logical functions (AND, OR)
As you wrote there is 2 cases
In every case you have to solve an inequality system simoultaneously, Every
solution of an ineguality is a real interval. THe solution for the system with
2 inequalities will be the intersection of the two real intervals (there is logical AND between the inequalities)
So. 1. x+3<0 AND x-12>0
x<-3 1st interval AND
x>12 2nd interval
The intersection is null set that is there is no solution here
OR
2. x+3>0 AND x-12<0
x>-3 1st interval (]-3; +infinity[) AND
x<12 2nd interval
The intersection is -3<x<12

The full solution is the UNION of two cases but there is solution in the 2nd case only, so
this willl be -3<x<12

THat is another method when using (drawing) graph you read down that
for what x value will be the function negative.

That's true but putting down x<-3 and x>12 as a solution without any further explanation would most likely lose you marks.
Original post by GRE60R
Hi,

To clarify what have i got wrong because i answered the question above exactly as shown however, i did not receive full marks. what am i missing?

Many thanks

Do you know where you lost marks? and how many did you lose?
Reply 9
Hi,

Out of four marks i lost two, 1 for method and 1 for answer. Im home taught (teaching myself A levels) so i have no teacher to ask.

Many thanks

S
Original post by GRE60R
Hi,

Out of four marks i lost two, 1 for method and 1 for answer. Im home taught (teaching myself A levels) so i have no teacher to ask.

Many thanks

S

On an A-level maths paper, questions like these typically require you to sketch a graph: marking the values of intersection on the x axis. Draw the function, then highlight in some way the areas where it's either greater than or less than 0 (the one it's asked for in the question) so basically one side of the x-axis. And only then can you make your x<a or x>b conclusions, whatever they may be... Does that make sense?
Original post by GRE60R
Hi,

Many thanks

S

You might have lost the method mark for suddenly switching to equal signs at the end of your working and the answer mark for not justifying your answer. That's just a guess though, it seems slightly harsh to me.
Reply 12
I thought it seemed harsh too, i have had a look back through five other exam questions with differing numbers which were exactly the same and they dont show anymore working than i have shown above..
Reply 13
Original post by GRE60R
I thought it seemed harsh too, i have had a look back through five other exam questions with differing numbers which were exactly the same and they dont show anymore working than i have shown above..

I'm not familiar with A level mark schemes, but looking at what you have written there is no explanation of what you are doing - it's just a stream of symbols!

You certainly shouldn't write down X = -3, X = 12 immediately after an inequality because that isn't the correct answer - it's the answer to a different question which is "when does (x+3)(x-12) = 0?".

Also, as pointed out earlier, when you have an inequality of the form AB < 0, there are 2 possibilities that need to be considered:
A<0 and B >0
or
A>0 and B<0

In your case one of these leads to a contradiction and isn't valid, but you've not shown any working to indicate that you understand this!
Reply 14
Original post by davros
I'm not familiar with A level mark schemes, but looking at what you have written there is no explanation of what you are doing - it's just a stream of symbols!

You certainly shouldn't write down X = -3, X = 12 immediately after an inequality because that isn't the correct answer - it's the answer to a different question which is "when does (x+3)(x-12) = 0?".

Also, as pointed out earlier, when you have an inequality of the form AB < 0, there are 2 possibilities that need to be considered:
A<0 and B >0
or
A>0 and B<0

In your case one of these leads to a contradiction and isn't valid, but you've not shown any working to indicate that you understand this!

How would you answer the question? just using numbers no need to reference back to the OP just what you would write if the question was placed in front of you.
Original post by GRE60R
How would you answer the question? just using numbers no need to reference back to the OP just what you would write if the question was placed in front of you.

Was this on the Edexcel C1 exam from this summer?

If so, the question involved a "less than or equal to" sign, so that explains where the A mark went. Reading the fine print of the mark scheme, I can't decide whether you should have got the M mark before it.

The swap from < to = and back is not an issue, nor is the lack of a graph or working for your choice of region.
Reply 16
Original post by GRE60R

Assuming what was given in the OP was the correct question (see comment from tinyhobbit above), I would lay it out like this:

x29x<36x29x36<0x^2 - 9x < 36 \Rightarrow x^2 - 9x - 36 < 0

The LHS factorizes as (x - 12)(x + 3) so we have (x - 12)(x + 3) < 0.

There are 2 cases to consider:
(i) x -12 < 0 and x + 3 > 0
(ii) x - 12 > 0 and x + 3 < 0

For case (i) we need x < 12 and x > -3 which is OK.
For case (ii) we need x > 12 and x < -3 which is impossible.

Therefore the solution is -3 < x < 12

If you get into the habit of laying out your work like this then (a) it's much easier for you to read and check your thought processes when you check the answer at the end; (b) it's easier for other people (like an examiner) to see what you're doing :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by davros
Assuming what was given in the OP was the correct question (see comment from tinyhobbit above), I would lay it out like this:

x29x<36x29x36<0x^2 - 9x < 36 \Rightarrow x^2 - 9x - 36 < 0

The LHS factorizes as (x - 12)(x + 3) so we have (x - 12)(x + 3) < 0.

There are 2 cases to consider:
(i) x -12 < 0 and x + 3 > 0
(ii) x - 12 > 0 and x + 3 < 0

For case (i) we need x < 12 and x > -3 which is OK.
For case (ii) we need x > 12 and x < -3 which is impossible.

Therefore the solution is -3 < x < 12

If you get into the habit of laying out your work like this then (a) it's much easier for you to read and check your thought processes when you check the answer at the end; (b) it's easier for other people (like an examiner) to see what you're doing :smile:

This is one particular topic in maths that bugs me, I can do Hard integration and 3D vectors but struggle to get my head around this.

Could you explain a little more why you have to consider two cases? is it todo with the graph could be u shaped or inverted?

Many thanks

S
Reply 18
Original post by GRE60R
This is one particular topic in maths that bugs me, I can do Hard integration and 3D vectors but struggle to get my head around this.

Could you explain a little more why you have to consider two cases? is it todo with the graph could be u shaped or inverted?

Many thanks

S

You're just using the principle that if you multiply two numbers together and get an answer that is negative then one of the numbers must be negative and the other one positive. However, you don't know which number is negative and which one is positive! Therefore you have to consider both cases.

You can certainly answer the question graphically if you're confident that you can draw it accurately.
Reply 19
Original post by davros
You're just using the principle that if you multiply two numbers together and get an answer that is negative then one of the numbers must be negative and the other one positive. However, you don't know which number is negative and which one is positive! Therefore you have to consider both cases.

You can certainly answer the question graphically if you're confident that you can draw it accurately.

Awesome

in the cases where the equation you are solving produces a quadratic why do you need to prove which is positive and which is negative? by solving the quadratic you can see straight away and you know from the quadratic what the graph should look like.

Quick Reply

Latest