The Student Room Group

a/s chemistry.

hey guys, am doing a chemistry planning exercise this tuesday, and really need some help. i've tried to serach the internet but not having much luck.
please please help..heres the problem>

How would you identify a chloro, bromo and iodo alkane? and how would you measur/workout their rate of hydrolysis? using 1-chlorobutane, 1-bromobutane and 1 iodobutane?

please guys all your help will be really appreciated...need to do well on this one. :/
Reply 1
React them with aqueous ethanolic silver nitrate. The larger the halogen, the denser and more yellow the precipitate will be, and the more rapidly it will be formed.
Reply 2
thank you soo much for that but it still leaves the problem of identifying them
and measuring the rate, the paper is worth 20% of my unit 3 grade, and so needs to coover what you would write in an investigation
Reply 3
Have you got all three substances and have to find out which is which? In that case, you do as I said above, and Chlorine will have the whitest, most translucent precipitate, and Iodine will be yellower and much more opaque, with Bromine somewhere in between. I'm less sure about measuring the rate of that reaction, I'm afraid.

Latest

Trending

Trending