The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam278
Yes but you have been facing relegation teams the whole time. Villa and West Ham aren't relegation teams. Liverpool beat Ludogorets.

Bar Swansea(which you lost) you have not faced a team that looks like they will be above 15th place this season.

Villa have only just avoided relegation in the past 3 seasons, and have failed to finish above 15th place since 2011.

West Ham away and Sunderland away aren't any different. I don't think anyone is hypocritical enough to hide the fact that United have played poorly and have huge deficiencies in their squad. It's more the fact that Liverpool fans were getting so cocky when their own team isn't any better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
You're surely not saying their performances are poor due to an absence of one player? (albeit a very good one). Even so, they should be performing better. We're clearly not going to agree on this.

Yeah fair enough I agree with your last statement.

They're missing two players, the other guy has gone to barca and the pair were the majority of the attacking play, Sterling came to the fore but he's just a 19 year old. I know SUG talks about him like he's a young Messi but they had top players capable of winning games without him and a midfield capable of supplying him. Balotelli ain't going to do anything without a supply so it just leaves them with Sterling to produce the goods. Also there was a tactical **** up.

Original post by manchesterunited15
Swear you've turned into a Liverpool fan

been brainwashed by living there

No relevance to the conversation so yh.
Original post by jam278

No relevance to the conversation so yh.

Because it's a stupid conversation, 2 players missing =/= 7 players missing

The only game we've had anything close to a full team we won 4-0. Yes only against QPR but still a good performance and not remotely similar to Liverpool's

edit: 1 actually, Allen isn't even 1st 11
(edited 9 years ago)
The only Liverpool players I'd take would be Sterling and Sturridge
Original post by sr90
Villa have only just avoided relegation in the past 3 seasons, and have failed to finish above 15th place since 2011.

West Ham away and Sunderland away aren't any different. I don't think anyone is hypocritical enough to hide the fact that United have played poorly and have huge deficiencies in their squad. It's more the fact that Liverpool fans were getting so cocky when their own team isn't any better.

Tbh while that's true Villa have got a better squad than the others. The last season e.g. Villa were safe but then got dragged into a late semi battle but were never really in trouble.

West Ham away is different, they're a lower midtable team, Sunderland are a full on relegation team. But yes eitherway both teams have been poor. I can see what you mean with the cocky Liverpool fans though. But tbh I still think they have the best setup to win the title(when players are all fit)
Original post by zKlown
The only Liverpool players I'd take would be Sterling and Sturridge

I would just take Sterling tbh. Falcao, RvP and Rooney are more than enough for the striker spots.
I would just take Sterling tbh. Falcao, RvP and Rooney are more than enough for the striker spots.

Nah Sturridge would give us a bit of pace which none of them have loads of. Would probably be RVP I'd swap him for.
Original post by jam278
X

They are missing their best players, yes, include Suarez in that if you will but if not then Sturridge at least. Is that really relevant though? My best mate is a Scouse fan and I watched the game with him today and all he did was rant about how awful they have played in all their recent games. He, even as a Liverpool fan, wasn't making excuses about who the opposition were, Liverpool werent the better team today, nor apparantley in the Villa or Ludo games.

They will likely be better when Sturridge is back because they seem to just lack confidence without him and Suarez to "carry" them. Like you sid Balotelli is a finisher not a creator, he wont do the leg work Suarez and/or Sturridge did/do. Anyway the reason for their shoddy displays doesn't dispel the fact they were shoddy displays.

United have played awful as well but if you're going to excuse Liverpool for playing poorly because Suraez went and Sturridge is out then you can't brandish United any differentley having had 7/8/9 first team (or at least fighting for first team) players out as well.

It is all pretty irrelevant anyway in my opinion. Liverpool will be better with Sturridge but I still only fancy them to be in a battle for top 4 rather than the league. I said all along I don't think they spent very well, not sure they really could have spent better with the amount of money being bounced around at the moment, they [Scousers] won't be competing financially with the likes of RM, Utd, Chelsea etc. for many more years.
Nah Sturridge would give us a bit of pace which none of them have loads of. Would probably be RVP I'd swap him for.

So a few months ago when I said Sturridge>RVP and you lot took the time to berate me have finally changed your opinion?

Nice to know.
Original post by jam278
So a few months ago when I said Sturridge>RVP and you lot took the time to berate me have finally changed your opinion?

Nice to know.

Lol no. I'm not saying Sturridge > RVP, I'm saying Sturridge offers something we need and none of our strikers have. Falcao > RVP, while Rooney is younger and more versatile, so it has to be RVP who gets swapped.

I wouldn't. Falcao and Rooney may end up becoming our main 2 upfront. Plus if we got Sterling would we really need another forward player? :coma:. Just imagine we had Sterling, 2 years down the line Sterling and Januzaj on the wings would destroy teams.
Lol no. I'm not saying Sturridge > RVP, I'm saying Sturridge offers something we need and none of our strikers have. Falcao > RVP, while Rooney is younger and more versatile, so it has to be RVP who gets swapped.

So would you take Agbonlahor over RVP then since he's more versatile and has got pace?

That is essentially what you're saying right?
I wouldn't. Falcao and Rooney may end up becoming our main 2 upfront. Plus if we got Sterling would we really need another forward player? :coma:. Just imagine we had Sterling, 2 years down the line Sterling and Januzaj on the wings would destroy teams.

Tbh I can see where you're coming from but that strike partnership just looks slow as hell. I like a fast striker. Rooney back when he was bald would have loved it in this lineup though.
Original post by jam278
So would you take Agbonlahor over RVP then since he's more versatile and has got pace?

That is essentially what you're saying right?

lmao obviously not

Sturridge is close enough to RVP in all round ability that the contrast to our other strikers he offers with pace means he'd be worth having.
Agbonlahor isn't.
lmao obviously not

Sturridge is close enough to RVP in all round ability that the contrast to our other strikers he offers with pace means he'd be worth having.
Agbonlahor isn't.

dw just catching you out since i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have said this 3 months ago
Original post by jam278
Tbh I can see where you're coming from but that strike partnership just looks slow as hell. I like a fast striker. Rooney back when he was bald would have loved it in this lineup though.

I'd obviously love to have Sturridge but yeah forget the pace upfront the movement from Falcao and Rooney alone should suffice for us with Di Maria running the things behind them along with Mata. Although just maybe I might consider swapping out Rooney for Sturridge.

Rooney was amazing 09/10, he hit the heights again in 11/12 but hasn't been the same since. It's a shame when he was being touted as the better prospect when he was compared to Ronaldo when both were at the club. Rooney and Ronaldo counterattacking from 07-09 was a joy to behold.
(edited 9 years ago)
So much negativity in this thread these days.

Lol @ arguing on the internet
I'd obviously love to have Sturridge but yeah forget the pace upfront the movement from Falcao and Rooney alone should suffice for us. Although just maybe I might consider swapping out Rooney for Sturridge.

Rooney was amazing 09/10, he hit the heights again in 11/12 but hasn't been the same since. It's a shame when he was being touted as the better prospect when he was compared to Ronaldo when both were at the club. Rooney and Ronaldo counterattacking from 07-09 was a joy to behold.

Tbh if you have pace from other areas it's not too much of a problem, but you're going to rely heavily on your midfield controlling games and like with Arsenal when you lose that you will lose the game as you have no outlet. Falcao has a leap but he's not really a target man who holds up play. You either require pace, power or both which you don't have in advanced positions(if Di Maria plays at CM) for an outlet.

In the QPR match you controlled possession well since QPR are atrocious but lets see how you do vs the likes of Everton. Things are looking up though tbf.
Original post by jam278
dw just catching you out since i'm pretty sure you wouldn't have said this 3 months ago

But as I just explained it wasn't catching me out at all :lol:
It makes complete sense to prefer to have a slightly worse player over a slightly better player if the worse one fits the team better.

If we got Sterling: no, but given the theoretical scenario is RVP swapped for Sturridge we'd have the same number of forwards :tongue:

I'd swap Sterling in for Januzaj and have Sterling and ADM on the wings (soz Adnan)

Latest