The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tbh we had an essy run till the Semi's the year we won it. Bilbao were a very good team the year you faced them.

Can't help but feel the competition was held in higher prestige when it was called the UEFA cup despite being basically the same thing.
Original post by Saf94
Didn't Chelsea win it a couple of years back after being knocked out of the Champions league?

Posted from TSR Mobile

So did Atlético in 2010. Finalists the past 2 years have included at least 1 out of two CL rejects. I like the europa tbh. Gets real interesting and you usually see the up and coming teams win the europa. Teams like Sevilla, Atlético, Benfica getting to latter stages with young teams and to a lesser extent Chelsea.

Original post by The Shed End
Ah look who's here to subtly undermine everyone's opinion and go against the grain. Tbh does having the CL in England being as open as 4th place undermine the league itself as certain teams, not naming any particular names, aim for 4th every year and then celebrate as if they've won a trophy when they get it. Surely it devalues the competition every year when a team that has to play a knock-out qualifier every year before the group stages start always get put into the top seeds despite not doing anything relevant in Europe for years.

Good point. Should get rid of 4th place since it's a waste of a spot. City don't do any better tbh.
I'd keep the top 3, top 2 into the group stages and third and FA Cup winners into play offs, where the winners are no higher than pot two. Makes the big teams not fighting for the title actually take the FA Cup seriously. Of course this being a logical idea, it'll never be implemented.
Original post by Fizzel
Usually its because Everton are seen as a good club who simply don't have the financial muscle to required. CL football for them would kick them on in the players they could target and they are clearly using limited resources effectively, and they could take a run at the wealthy clubs for more than just a season.

Distinctly remember Everton had CL qualification in their hands with a couple of games to go last season but they bottled it at the last hurdle. Clubs like Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool just didn't appear in the CL they earnt it naturally through superior tactics, training and management. Maybe when they get their stadium they can push on

Original post by Fizzel
I agree with the cup winners, because there can be such a gulf in class. You had teams like Wigan lining up alongside some fairly big european clubs. However the EL is supposed to be the competition just below the CL, its seems like a natural step for the winner to move up a class if you will.

I think entry into the CL should be based on league position not a cup competition where form plays such a massive role. The best team doesn't always win a cup competition so why should they gain entry into the CL. Devalues both competitions imo

Original post by The Shed End
Ah look who's here to subtly undermine everyone's opinion and go against the grain. Tbh does having the CL in England being as open as 4th place undermine the league itself as certain teams, not naming any particular names, aim for 4th every year and then celebrate as if they've won a trophy when they get it. Surely it devalues the competition every year when a team that has to play a knock-out qualifier every year before the group stages start always get put into the top seeds despite not doing anything relevant in Europe for years.

lol what's your problem brah? If I agree with a point or understand their POV I won't comment If I disagree I'll post why I disagree that's pretty much the nature of a forum. I'm not trying to undermine anyone lol just trying to have a convo about football tbh

Meh your evidently talking about Arsenal you sound a bit bitter. I haven't even mentioned Arsenal at all mate. Firstly Arsenal never aim for fourth place sadly it been our level for the past few years because of our transition, Never really celebrated it as a trophy really. 12/13 "celebration" at Newcastle was really about relief about getting fourth under high amounts of pressure from our close rivals when it look out of reach after the 2-1 defeat at WHL.

Say what you like about Arsenal's European performances but were earnt the right to be there no matter what you say. Our poor Euro performances are down to our inability to compete due to our transition...Teams have had an equal opportunity as Arsenal to make the CL but failed. Arsenal haven't cheated in any way, we deserve to be in the CL. Deal with it B.

Arsenal would have been second seed if Utd had qualified. The UEFA system is flawed Arsenal don't deserved to be P1 you won't find any argument from me on that.

Sorry for the late reply or grammatical mistakes I've just come back from a pre Freshers party
Original post by sevchenko
Distinctly remember Everton had CL qualification in their hands with a couple of games to go last season but they bottled it at the last hurdle. Clubs like Arsenal, Utd and Liverpool just didn't appear in the CL they earnt it naturally through superior tactics, training and management. Maybe when they get their stadium they can push on

They didn't bottle it, they just had harder fixtures (Palace, United, Soton, City, Hull) in their last 5 games than Arsenal did (WHU, Hull, Newcastle, WBA, Norwich). If the games fell in a different order Arsenal would've been ahead going into the final few games and no one would talk about Everton bottling it.
Original post by Eboracum
Lawro says 1-1 at Leicester. I expect minimum two goal victory, we should be destroying teams like Leicester City, home or away.

Just like I expected a minimum two goal victory against ludogrets.... :frown:
Think I'm actually looking forward to Leicster game more than the QPR one because I know they are a better side and at a more difficult venue.
Why do we have our games on Sunday? We didn't even play mid-week
Original post by poiuytrewq54321
Why do we have our games on Sunday? We didn't even play mid-week

To do with TV broadcasting rights I'd have though. Can't show Saturday 3pm games so the big club's games (that will draw the most viewers) usually get shifted to Sunday or early/late kick off on Saturdays.
Original post by Amphiprion
Think I'm actually looking forward to Leicster game more than the QPR one because I know they are a better side and at a more difficult venue.

Yeah same but also because we can see if we really can push on from last week's win and make it 2 wins ina row. I seriously hope we dont line up 5-3-2. My gut feeling says LvG might revert to it :frown:
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Yeah same but also because we can see if we really can push on from last week's win and make it 2 wins ina row. I seriously hope we dont line up 5-3-2. My gut feeling says LvG might revert to it :frown:

Yeah I'm almost certain we will switch back to that formation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Amphiprion
Still pretty much as nervous as before the QPR game. Before QPR I was worried we'd end up looking just like before, but we seem to have turned a corner in the way we were playing more than anything. Nervous that we won't continue that.

Really hope we can get 3 points. With the games like Arsenal-Villa, Swansea-S'ton, Chelsea-City, team above us have to drop points. Next week you've got North London and Merseyside Derbies, Chelsea-Villa. So plenty to gained as well as momentum leading up to the Everton game.

Even if we drew with Everton, I think if we were top 4 or edge of with some form going into the break, there would be the murmuring of United being back and the fear factor would start to come back. Especially if players like ADM can continue his form, Falcao announce his arrival in there.

But first thing is first which is Leicester, hence the nerves.
Original post by qasidb
Who knew di Maria liked piggy backs so much?

The bromance between them all is unreal. Spanish amigos.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo
Yeah I'm almost certain we will switch back to that formation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I'll be sick if i see us using that formation and end up with a loss/draw against Leicester. Tbh the formation we currently use is almost like a 5-3-2 when we defend. Especially towards the end of the QPR match, Blind dropped inbetween our 2 CBs to provide more defensive cover.

Posted from TSR Mobile
4-0 scoreline scares me these days. We beat Newcastle 4-0 and then lost two on the bounce to Bayern and Everton. Then we beat Norwich 4-0 with a new manager and lost to Sunderland in our next match. And of course there was that other 4-0 result this season which I don't quite remember.
Original post by qasidb
Who knew di Maria liked piggy backs so much?

His legs must be saved at all costs
I think I'll be sick if i see us using that formation and end up with a loss/draw against Leicester. Tbh the formation we currently use is almost like a 5-3-2 when we defend. Especially towards the end of the QPR match, Blind dropped inbetween our 2 CBs to provide more defensive cover.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It will be different to see 5-3-2 now that we have strengthened, although I think our centre backs lack quality needed to play it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The bromance between them all is unreal. Spanish amigos.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spanish language amigos anyway :wink:

I'm glad he seems to be getting on alright at the club. I feared he might have a bit of an attitude problem based on how I've seen him speak in previous interviews/a prank video and the fact he admitted publicly he didn't want to leave RM. He could have ended up like Ozil who looks at the minute like he gives 0 ****s about Arsenal football club and/or this country and it's football.
I know Leicester drew with Arsenal but we really should be winning on Sunday despite what formation we play.
Original post by ElChapo
His legs must be saved at all costs

It will be different to see 5-3-2 now that we have strengthened, although I think our centre backs lack quality needed to play it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess we'll have to see. Hopefully its not a straight out 5-3-2

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest